Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: TIME AND DATE ISSUE...really?

Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast
    Ok guys I have (maybe) good news!
    Three days ago I had this date and time reset, so I set the actual one, then I turned off the camera (after a good hour) and I left fro three days. I have just coming home now, I powered on the camera and....the date and time was perfect!
    I just updated the new firmware (not the beta) and now I am doing an auto blackshade calibration, so It will stay in the plug still for long.
    I always have the camera stored with my 4,7 inch monitor attached,the new side handle , the canon mount and the I/o Expander as is easy to me for run and gun situation to have all set in the case. So if really is the monitor that drain the battery is something that need to be solved in the fimrware. Also I use the time code as EDGE so is not running all the time (maybe this help?)

So, for what we understood....leave the camera for a couple of hours in the DC plug without Vlock battery. The turn off and power on the camera after three days and check what happen. If the date and time is set it mean that we need to power on the camera even if we dont use at least for two hours a week! lol

Please guys update this thread. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Brian F Kobylarz View Post
    The problem occurs when the camera is not used over a number of days or perhaps longer than a week, not hours.
    Thanks Brian, Im aware. The battery was drained and the camera only powered up for around a minute, not much time to charge, OK?

While things aren't nearly as bad as, say, Magic Lantern, it's because of these kinds of dumb issues that there are ops/DoPs/ACs/production/etc still claiming that 'REDs are always in beta' and why even aging 1080p Alexa Classics still rent well compared to REDs that are half a decade newer. Fortunately there are a lot of workarounds that keep the camera functional, but they really are in a constant state of quirkiness and unlike ~2007-2012 (when RED was the only game in town) there are plenty of other other affordable 4k+/raw cameras on the market now. I have a feeling tolerance for this kind of stuff will dwindle rather quickly...

(Here's hoping Hydrogen doesn't suffer from these kinds of perpetual bugs, because I don't think the average phone user will be nearly as forgiving.)

As for user-fixing/recharging, with the cameras I've used/seen, having the camera on for the day does *not* recharge anything, and as soon as I shut-down/reboot it resets the date/time (even if it's for a battery swap and off for less than 10seconds after being on for 4-8 hours). Not only should this have been user-replaceable in DSMC2, but it just shouldn't be happening, period. I'd be curious to know if R1s suffer from it as well...

Also, it shouldn't be after a matter of days/weeks of inactivity, it should be a matter of months, if not years before it just slips (again, look at every other camera/computer/wristwatch/cellphone/electronic device with internal clock/etc that you've ever used)...

Guys,

Remove the monitor and any EVF connected to the brain as indicated on my post to be sure it is NOT a factor Please!

Thank you,

Quote Originally Posted by Ulf Krentz View Post
    Thanks Brian, Im aware. The battery was drained and the camera only powered up for around a minute, not much time to charge, OK?
    Better understanding of the point you were making. Thanks for the clarification!

Quote Originally Posted by Neil Abeynayake View Post
    Guys,

Remove the monitor and any EVF connected to the brain as indicated on my post to be sure it is NOT a factor Please!

Thank you,

Covered - In ehe scenario I posted - I typically remove the EVF and / or touchscreen before stowing the camera. However, the side handle stays on (as mentioned, DSMC2 requires tooling to remove).

+1 With date and time resetting.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian F Kobylarz View Post
    Covered - In ehe scenario I posted - I typically remove the EVF and / or touchscreen before stowing the camera. However, the side handle stays on (as mentioned, DSMC2 requires tooling to remove).
    To remove the DSMC2 Side Handle you need a Torx 10 screwdriver. You could pick one at any auto parts store or the local hardware store for less than $5.00.

Quote Originally Posted by Ulf Krentz View Post
    To make sure it keeps the time I had to power it up and set the time, than switched it off but kept it powered via the DC in for one hour. Checked, time is still present. Switched off again, no power waited for another hour, checked still holding time. So either the time when the camera was powering up and being on (for about 1 Min in total) is enough to charge the battery to keep the internal clock running or it may have been the DC in. Ill check back tomorrow.
    My Epic-W lost the time over night, so I think it is safe to say it does not charge when switched off while DC-in powered. While I would not mind to just set the time when starting to work with my camera after a longer period of pause my conclusion for now is to not let the camera sit without being used, as this will deep discharge the internal battery, probably leading to early death. This is odd and has nothing to do with any battery issues (I never experienced) on DSMC1.

Just turned on the camera today -after being off for a little more than 48 hours-, and time and date have reset.

I am going to do a last test, using Neil's steps: http://www.reduser.net/forum/showthr...=1#post1755319

I never had this issue either with DMSC1. It is also quite discomforting to hear that sending the camera back to RED has apparently not solved the issue for some users here.

I'm always disconnecting my monitor when my DSMC1 camera is being stored, it's still loosing time and date. But it also does so when being powered off for a short period of time (seconds). Guess the battery was deep discharged or something, since it doesn't hold any charge anymore.