Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: TIME AND DATE ISSUE...really?

Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Ulf Krentz View Post
    To make sure it keeps the time I had to power it up and set the time, than switched it off but kept it powered via the DC in for one hour. Checked, time is still present. Switched off again, no power waited for another hour, checked still holding time. So either the time when the camera was powering up and being on (for about 1 Min in total) is enough to charge the battery to keep the internal clock running or it may have been the DC in. Ill check back tomorrow.
    My Epic-W lost the time over night, so I think it is safe to say it does not charge when switched off while DC-in powered. While I would not mind to just set the time when starting to work with my camera after a longer period of pause my conclusion for now is to not let the camera sit without being used, as this will deep discharge the internal battery, probably leading to early death. This is odd and has nothing to do with any battery issues (I never experienced) on DSMC1.

Just turned on the camera today -after being off for a little more than 48 hours-, and time and date have reset.

I am going to do a last test, using Neil's steps: http://www.reduser.net/forum/showthr...=1#post1755319

I never had this issue either with DMSC1. It is also quite discomforting to hear that sending the camera back to RED has apparently not solved the issue for some users here.

I'm always disconnecting my monitor when my DSMC1 camera is being stored, it's still loosing time and date. But it also does so when being powered off for a short period of time (seconds). Guess the battery was deep discharged or something, since it doesn't hold any charge anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil Abeynayake View Post
    To remove the DSMC2 Side Handle you need a Torx 10 screwdriver. You could pick one at any auto parts store or the local hardware store for less than $5.00.
    I have a substantial collection of tools. The required Torx live in the camera bag.

As mentioned in earlier post, if removing the side handle is the solution to mitigating a drain on the internal battery, well, that is just a PITA.
    Should not be necessary with this caliper of gear.

Request: Can you test out your theory and share the results?

Brian, FYI I dont have a side handle and my Epic-W is loosing Time and Date within a couple of days after being in use for a period of time. Not sure if any additional accessories add drain to the battery. As I already wrote above, it looks like we have to keep the camera running at least every few days. I seriously hope this issue gets addressed.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian F Kobylarz View Post
    I have a substantial collection of tools. The required Torx live in the camera bag.

As mentioned in earlier post, if removing the side handle is the solution to mitigating a drain on the internal battery, well, that is just a PITA.
    Should not be necessary with this caliper of gear.

Request: Can you test out your theory and share the results?
    I turned the camera off right after my post (edit) on this thread (1:00 p.m. Pacific on Monday the 4th). I want to keep it off for 48 hours before turning it on. That is going to be around 1:00 p.m. Pacific on Wednesday the 6th.

I'll post my results, here around 2:00 p.m. PDT on Thursday.

Good luck guys.

7.   This is the last RED TEAM post in this thread.   #57  
    Hi all,

If you have not yet reached out to RED Product Support directly, please submit a request on support.red.com and send a saved log file along with a description of your particular issue and any accessories you may have attached to your camera BRAIN.

Quote Originally Posted by Brad Harris View Post
    Hi all,

If you have not yet reached out to RED Product Support directly, please submit a request on support.red.com and send a saved log file along with a description of your particular issue and any accessories you may have attached to your camera BRAIN.
    Hello Brad,

Can you answer...

Does the camera have to be ON for the battery to charge? Or, does having an Anton Bauer type battery on the back, or just having the DC line powered, but the camera off work? Also, how often do we need to do this? And, how long will the charge last before we need to charge the small battery again?
    Regards,
    Martin Stevens

President and Founder of Glidecam Industries, Inc.
    Producer and Director at Metaphoric Pictures Corporation.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Stevens View Post
    Hello Brad,

Can you answer...

Does the camera have to be ON for the battery to charge? Or, does having an Anton Bauer type battery on the back, or just having the DC line powered, but the camera off work? Also, how often do we need to do this? And, how long will the charge last before we need to charge the small battery again?
    I have been contacted by RED support (What a great customer care, btw) and got this answer which probably is of interest for many:

To confirm, the internal battery in DSMC2 cameras is rechargeable; the battery will recharge itself when the camera is on and operated under normal conditions. If the camera were to sit on a shelf for say, about 6 months, then the battery could be depleted by then. However it can be recharged by turning on the camera and leaving it powered for about 2 hours.

This sounds like a good functionality for me.

Cheers,

Ulf

Quote Originally Posted by Ulf Krentz View Post
    I have been contacted by RED support (What a great customer care, btw) and got this answer which probably is of interest for many:

To confirm, the internal battery in DSMC2 cameras is rechargeable; the battery will recharge itself when the camera is on and operated under normal conditions. If the camera were to sit on a shelf for say, about 6 months, then the battery could be depleted by then. However it can be recharged by turning on the camera and leaving it powered for about 2 hours.

This sounds like a good functionality for me.

Cheers,

Ulf
    This just comes to confirm that all of us who have reported int. batteries getting discharged in weeks, days or overnight, definitely have a defective battery.

I'm still concerned about users reporting that after sending the camera back for repair are still having the same issues with the battery. What if this happens once the one year warranty has expired? It would certainly be very painful to pay 300-600 euros (as some have reported) to have an internal battery replaced on a one year old camera (these batteries should last longer or, alternatively, be given a separate 4-5 year warranty at least).

Hopefully, this is something that can be fixed at some point through firmware.

I am waiting to turn on my camera tomorrow again, to verify if this is happening also without any accesorios attached to the body.

cheers