Thread: Free 8K editing program.

Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Moretti View Post
    George, I don't disagree with you. But I think Mike was commenting on a trend that he readily admits has been going on for awhile now. So Mike's post was more of a gasp and sigh at the repercussions of this trend, one of which is a pretty absurd sense of entitlement. And another being downward pressure on wages.
    Thank you, Peter. I was about to declare myself completely finished with RedUser. You've restored my faith in this still being a place where opinions can be expressed in an open way and interpreted, at least by some, in the spirit in which they're intended.

George, I don't disagree with you. But I think Mike was commenting on a trend that he readily admits has been going on for awhile now. So Mike's post was more of a gasp and sigh at the repercussions of this trend, one of which is a pretty absurd sense of entitlement. And another being downward pressure on wages.
    It is kinda interresting that there aren't too many questions on where to get a free SSD, though.

I enjoy and even work on OpenSOurce and "free" software a lot, but it is kinda fun that the changing business models lead people to think that things are "actually free" :)

Not even open source projects are "really free", mostly.
    Last edited by Gunleik Groven; 08-28-2017 at 08:09 PM.

Sure, trend on industry is an issue (nor exclusive to this industry), but it hardly invalidates the original post's question. The attitudes in following responses on the other hand is another issue in itself.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunleik Groven View Post
    It is kinda interresting that there aren't too many questions on where to get a free SSD, though.

I enjou and even work with OpenSOurce and "free" software a lot, but it is kinda fun that the changing business models lead people to think that things are "actually free" :)

Not even open source projects are "really free", mostly.
    Sure some open source are not really free, paid for in some way by someone or company or restrictions in user agreements etc... But there is no shortage in the vast amount of open-source (and freeware not bloated by ads etc.) that is free to the end-user (of which I use plenty of myself). Again, does not invalidate the original question in post.
    Last edited by George Tsai; 08-27-2017 at 10:04 PM.
    http://www.GTsai.com
    http://fuzeti.com/
    DSMC2 Helium 7572
    "Sanity is for the weak!" - Dawn of War
    "I do not suffer from schizophrenia, I quite enjoy it...
    And so do I "-EA

George, the root of the question itself is fine. But you can't ignore its original tone either.

If it were phrased as "Does the free version of Resolve work with 8K files?" Understandable question, but even then the answer could easily be found on Blackmagic Design's website.

But the OP was: I'm done with Premiere (why?) and any free programs that can ingest/export 8K? From the POV of someone who's been in the industry for awhile, that could sound pretty out there. Just think about that question for a second. The cost to shoot, store and process 8K footage is very high. $300 on an NLE is a rounding error.

While it never hurts to ask for free, it just sounds nonsensical. It's like owning a Ferrari and asking for Jiffy Lube coupons for your next oil change.

But still maybe some people overreacted to the OP? But of course they didn't, as proven by the reply "SUCK MY FUCKING DICK."

As someone responsible to pay myself and developers, I still do see a lot of good reasons for "free" and open source software.

I think REDs own (very much not open source) Red Cine X, is a very good example, as is Resolve.
    Sometimes "promotion of own capacity" is the capital.
    Other very good examples are where "interest, curiosity and personal need" is the only thing that can actually fund a necessary development (like ffmpeg).

But I must say that I kind of hate it when end-users thinks that years of work is "free", despite them not paying.

It kind of takes away the generosity of a gift, and makes the "gift of free will and good intention" into an "entitled demand".

I think I start to see why Jarred pulls a clear line when people demand a full-service support for their 10 year old RED1

Quote Originally Posted by M Most View Post
    Thank you, Peter. I was about to declare myself completely finished with RedUser. You've restored my faith in this still being a place where opinions can be expressed in an open way and interpreted, at least by some, in the spirit in which they're intended.

Mike... Don't stop posting even if people are... let's say... less experienced than you are.

Your posts are amongst the most valuable around here.

I know I have pissed you off by my questions a few times, but I also know that your answers have been good.

Even in the free version of resolve you can edit full 8k r3d files. The limitation is that you can only render out in 4k.

But it´s easy enough to edit in resolve free version. and then export XML and r3d trims and sound mix and then conform in red cine and export from there..... Not saying it´s the ideal workflow but it´s for free and works, in a lot of ways much better than other platforms.

I started to use resolve for my editing with 8k files more and more no. As I´m doing a personal project revolving my new interest of bee keeping I tend to film a lot during the weekends and much is crap as I shoot and stand infront of the camera as well It´s a lot of dead weight. Then when I get to my computer I just edit straight from the card and view the material in 16:1 resolution or such and cut out all th ebad parts and then do a media management with relink onto my little "bee project raid" That way I form my self too look trough all the crap I shoot and I while moving the material from the cards I also build a long source reel that material some what cut up.

This is sometimes done on my shitty laptop and it works fine to push out hours of 8k to 4k prores files on that machine over night. So saying it can not be done without costly machines is simply wrong.

Sure if you want to master in 8k you need a dongle for your resolve install. But not while editing. 8k in 4:1 is 2k, people been editing in less than that for most of the time man walked the earth and some films that where excellent has been edited in less than good standard def resolution and then negcut accordingly.

So just because you can not view your material in 8k while editing does not mean you can not edit 8k material. HD is more than fine for editing if you ask me. Sure some takes can show up as soft when seeing them in full glory but then change those.
    Björn Benckert
    Creative Lead & Founder Syndicate Entertainment AB
    +46855524900 www.syndicate.se/axis
    VFX / Flame / Motion capture / Monstro

And how many people do have an 8k screen to edit or colorcorrect?

Björn, I just want to mention that I believe the free version of Resolve is limited to UHD output. As for the equipment needed, I would certainly say that it all depends on what you're trying to do and how skilled you are getting the most out of computer hardware.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunleik Groven View Post
    Mike... Don't stop posting even if people are... let's say... less experienced than you are.

Your posts are amongst the most valuable around here.

I know I have pissed you off by my questions a few times, but I also know that your answers have been good.
    ++111!!!