Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: Firmware updates on PC but not on Mac?

Reply to Thread
  1. #1 Firmware updates on PC but not on Mac? 
    So I spent somewhere in the neighborhood of 90 mintues trying to get my damn camera updated to the latest firmware. My Dell died so I was doing it on my new MBP. No dice. Then, on a whim, I copied the file over via my other PC and the camera took the upgrade without issue.

Anyone know the cause? And before you go over all the standard troubleshooting questions, I followed instructions to the letter, remounted Watchdog in Read/Write, reformatted, reinstalled RCX etc.
    ~ Jay Friesen, CSI

How did you format the card? In camera I hope?

VFX, Cinematographer, Photographer
    10 frame handles
    Vimeo
    Instagram

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Gundu View Post
    How did you format the card? In camera I hope?
    Of course. I also tried two different cards.
    Last edited by Jay Friesen; 08-25-2017 at 01:42 PM.
    ~ Jay Friesen, CSI

4.   This is the last RED TEAM post in this thread.   #4  
    What did the camera do when you attempted the upgrade? Did it boot up normally? Did it power up and then power down a few seconds later?

If it booted up normalyl it is because it didn't see the upgrade image on the SSD at all. I've seen this happen if people forget to modify the watchdog setting to RW (I know you said you did this), if they don't properly eject the SSD from their computer before removing it, or don't name the 'force_upgrade' directory correctly. It might be worth remounting the SSD in the computer after you removed it and verify the file you copied over is still there.

If the camera powered up and then powered down by itself after a few seconds it is because it saw the upgrade image but didn't like it for some reason (e.g: the image was corrupt, it was for a different camera type, etc). In this case, double check the upgrade image is correct. If you send a log file to support (it will be saved automatically to the SSD) they should be able to determine why the upgrade failed.

The latter: The camera booted like it was going to upgrade but instead of the lights flashing green, they flashed red and it shut down. I had the same thought: corrupt file, maybe the wrong file, etc., but I triple checked things, reformatted a few times (in cam), re-downloaded the image, etc.- like I said, 90 minutes goofing around. Then, the same exact file, same exact card, but file loaded on PC and it took the upgrade. I'll send the log file in next time.

Quote Originally Posted by Trent Lillehaugen View Post
    What did the camera do when you attempted the upgrade? Did it boot up normally? Did it power up and then power down a few seconds later?

If it booted up normalyl it is because it didn't see the upgrade image on the SSD at all. I've seen this happen if people forget to modify the watchdog setting to RW (I know you said you did this), if they don't properly eject the SSD from their computer before removing it, or don't name the 'force_upgrade' directory correctly. It might be worth remounting the SSD in the computer after you removed it and verify the file you copied over is still there.

If the camera powered up and then powered down by itself after a few seconds it is because it saw the upgrade image but didn't like it for some reason (e.g: the image was corrupt, it was for a different camera type, etc). In this case, double check the upgrade image is correct. If you send a log file to support (it will be saved automatically to the SSD) they should be able to determine why the upgrade failed.
    ~ Jay Friesen, CSI

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Friesen View Post
    The latter: The camera booted like it was going to upgrade but instead of the lights flashing green, they flashed red and it shut down. I had the same thought: corrupt file, maybe the wrong file, etc., but I triple checked things, reformatted a few times (in cam), re-downloaded the image, etc.- like I said, 90 minutes goofing around. Then, the same exact file, same exact card, but file loaded on PC and it took the upgrade. I'll send the log file in next time.
    I'm having this same problem not being able to update my Epic MX and I only own a Mac laptop. I wonder what happens if I try on a PC.....