Thread: GROUP BUY - Tokina Cinema Vista Lenses

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 25 1234511 ... LastLast
  1. #1 GROUP BUY - Tokina Cinema Vista Lenses 
    Group Buy is now closed! Thanks to everybody for a successful one!

I've been working on a pretty special Group Buy for a long while now and this one is a pretty damn good deal.

The Tokina Cinema Vista Lens Group Buy

Group Buy Details

What does this Group Buy cover?
    - Tokina Cinema Vista Primes 25mm (MSRP $5999), 35mm (MSRP $4999), 50mm (MSRP $4499) and 85mm (MSRP $4999) all T1.5
    - Tokina Cinema ATX 100mm T2.9 Macro (MSRP $2,499 each)
    - Tokina Cinema ATX 16-28MM T3 Mark II (MSRP $4,499 each)
    - Tokina Cinema ATX 11-16mm T3 (MSRP PL Mount $1899, EF Mount $1499)
    - Tokina Cinema ATX 50-135mm T3 (PL Mount $3999)
    - Tokina 1.6X Expander S35-VV ($1899 MSRP (max discount to $1499))
    * all lenses available in PL, EF, M43, F, E Mount (I use PL)

Useful Information
    http://www.tokinacinema.com/lenses.html

Group Buy Tiers
    - Tier 1: 4 lenses = 6%
    - Tier 2: 8 lenses = 9%
    - Tier 3: 12 lenses = 12%
    * if you purchases any 4 lenses you get a free hard case
    ** if you purcahse any lens via this group buy you will be eligable for the same discount percentage off the upcoming 18mm prime if purchased in 2018

Example, you order a set of 25-85mm primes and we hit Tier 3, that is a savings of $2,459.52. That's huge. Not to mention the case that will likely save you another $300-$500 bucks.

Shipping and Payment Details
    - Available to all countries, except Russia and select areas in Brazil.
    - Shipping Costs will be calculated based on order quantity, shipping address, and desired shipping method/speed
    - Sales Tax applicable within California
    - Units are in stock and will ship at the end of the Group Buy
    - Payment will be accepted via Paypal, approved Credit Card, or even Wire Transfer.

How to place your order
    - Make a post in this thread stating which lenses you want and in which mount.
    - If you do want that "free lens case" for your set, please include that info.

Group Buy Close Date: September 8th, 2017

Feel free to ask me anything about these lenses. I own most of them, am extremely fond of their look/feel/mechanics, and use them often.

Some quick thoughts.

The primes in particular were the very first designed for RED's 8K VistaVision (40.96mm wide) format and I have tested them on Panavision's lens projector, the 25-85mm primes can cover BEYOND VV, actually close to 65mm. This is pretty much the most coverage you're going to get out of "fast" primes for large format, which was part of their design intention. They work on S35, they work on VV, and they will likely work if we go slightly bigger than that.

The fact that Tokina is letting the discount ride to the 18mm prime once it's released is tremendous and will lead to significant savings. Look hard at that. Pricing hasn't been announced for that just yet, but the discount can help.

There will be an additional telephoto T1.5 prime coming sometime in 2018. At the end of the day it will be 18, 25, 35, 50, 85, and XX for a true 6 lens T1.5 set.

And lastly, the 100mm Macro is pretty much the best PL Macro deal you'll find at the moment in terms of quality and performance.

Group Buy Participants
    1 - Dan Kanes - PL 1.6X Expander
    2 - ignacio guzman - 35,85, 16-28mm MKII EF
    3 - RJ_Ortiz - 25,50,85 in PL, 6 Lens case
    4 - Artur Zaitsau - 25, 35, 50, 85mm EF w/ case
    5 - Ryan Williams - 25, 35, 50, 85, 100mm EF w/ case
    6 - Anthony Berenato Jr - 25, 35, 50, 85, 100mm PL w/ case
    7 - Brian Wikerson - 16-28mm MK II, 50-135mm PL
    8 - Gordon Teigelkaemper - 100mm Macro PL
    9 - Tyler Bourns - 35, 50, 85, 100mm Macro, 16-35 MK II EF w/ case
    10 - Brandon Mattingly (net) - 25, 35, 50, 85 EF w/ case
    11 - PatrickFaith - PL 1.6X Expander
    12 - Tony Laguna - 25, 35, 50, 85, 100 macro, 16-28mm MK II w/ case
    13 - Bryan Koss - PL 1.6X Expander
    14 - Tommaso Alvisi - PL 1.6X Expander
    15 - Ivan Verlaan - 11-16mm MK II EF
    16 - Nathaniel Haban - 25, 35, 50, 85mm PL
    17 - Michael Tiemann - 25, 35, 50, 85mm PL
    18 - Vince Arvidson - 100mm macro PL

Group Buy Tally 47X lenses, currently in Tier 3!
    Last edited by Phil Holland; 09-13-2017 at 03:51 PM.
    Phil Holland - Cinematographer - Los Angeles

2X RED Weapon 8K VV Monstro Bodies and a lot of things to use with them.

Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon

Well Damn...now that is a great deal. I have tested the 100mm macro and it really sings....Need to do some hard thinking about this.
    Forged CF Helium 8K 00107
    Scarlet X 02249 (The Gateway Drug)
    Fujinon Cabrio 19-90 Version 2
    RED Pro Zooms and Primes
    Director/DP at https://www.butcherbox.com

Living life by the ocean.

Literally just purchased the 16-28 EF 3 days ago. Great lens. I am thinking about picking up another one. Thanks for putting this together Phil.

Shit....To echo Scot above, I'm also going to think long and hard about this one. Been thinking about these lenses anyways.. Thanks Phil for
    putting this together. I'll get back to you soon as to if I'm going to commit or not..
    CF Weapon Helium #1846
    Raven #430

Nice Nice Nice.. I like these lenses, expensive but that 18mm is something the otus line doesn't have & PL mount

Kudos Bra
    Last edited by Brian Anderson; 08-09-2017 at 10:10 PM.

Oh man, this is going to be really really hard to pass up. I've had my eye on these lenses for a while and was really impressed at them during the NAB event Tokina hosted. Apart from being seemingly incredibly well made, they pass the unscientific eye test for me. As every visual I see from them just has a very pleasing look to it that I really like personally. Haven't had a chance to test myself yet though either...

The free case, will that have a slot for all the primes (including upcoming ones), so we can add to it later, or is it pre set to what you buy?

Phil, I saw an earlier post of you with the Sigma's too. Aside from cost and sensor coverage, how do you compare the two? If we aren't going vista yet or in the near future (budget wise), do you think it's still a solid purchase to get these or is it unnecessary? I own an Epic-W and Scarlet-W.

If we currently do all ef mount lenses, is there any benefit to moving to PL or are any of you finding more camera systems moving away from that?

You had a typo on the purchase year for the 18mm eligibility (It said 201i), did you mean 2017 or 2018? Are there are any rumors or ballparks on shipping date/cost for that one?

Do these come with a warranty?

Do you find the heavier weight of these compared to sigmas, zeiss, xeens, etc prohibitive at all for smaller crew gigs?

How are people finding the industry response to these? Do you think they are well respected even though this is bit of new territory for Tokina? Thinking rental market or just generally accepted for when used on my own DP gigs for large clients.

Sorry for all the questions, this is my first serious lens purchase so want to be very thorough in my decision/investment.
    Bourns Productions Inc. - www.bournsproductions.com
    Scarlet-W #1282
    Epic-W #2038

Phil....

The VV 16-28 how does it compare to the primes?
    The Tokina vs new Sigma PL's thoughts?

This is a pretty amazing deal thanks Phil
    Jon Shaw

ginclearfilm
    Sydney
    Australia

Underwater production and services including Gates Deep Epic and Epic Dragon 'Acheron'
    www.ginclearfilm.com

This is a good one to put a long think into for sure. Lenses are always a bigger purchase, but what's good is these have been out for a hot minute and people have been able to get their hands on them. There's no mystery in terms of what they can do and what they are. They very much punch well above their weight price-wise in my mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Bourns View Post
    Oh man, this is going to be really really hard to pass up. I've had my eye on these lenses for a while and was really impressed at them during the NAB event Tokina hosted. Apart from being seemingly incredibly well made, they pass the unscientific eye test for me. As every visual I see from them just has a very pleasing look to it that I really like personally. Haven't had a chance to test myself yet though either...

The free case, will that have a slot for all the primes (including upcoming ones), so we can add to it later, or is it pre set to what you buy?

Phil, I saw an earlier post of you with the Sigma's too. Aside from cost and sensor coverage, how do you compare the two? If we aren't going vista yet or in the near future (budget wise), do you think it's still a solid purchase to get these or is it unnecessary? I own an Epic-W and Scarlet-W.

If we currently do all ef mount lenses, is there any benefit to moving to PL or are any of you finding more camera systems moving away from that?

You had a typo on the purchase year for the 18mm eligibility (It said 201i), did you mean 2017 or 2018? Are there are any rumors or ballparks on shipping date/cost for that one?

Do these come with a warranty?

Do you find the heavier weight of these compared to sigmas, zeiss, xeens, etc prohibitive at all for smaller crew gigs?

How are people finding the industry response to these? Do you think they are well respected even though this is bit of new territory for Tokina? Thinking rental market or just generally accepted for when used on my own DP gigs for large clients.

Sorry for all the questions, this is my first serious lens purchase so want to be very thorough in my decision/investment.

All the questions shall be answered, except for one that I'm waiting info on.

I'll likely learn the hard details of the free case tomorrow. It doesn't exist just yet, but will shortly. I have a feeling it will be a 4 slot, but it might end up being a 6 slot. Perhaps there could be two options. I'll make a few suggestions.

I did indeed pick up the Sigmas literally today. And what I can say is they are slightly different. Expect a nice comparison relatively soon actually, they are different, but both are very high quality especially considering the price point. I see need in my life for both sets for a few reasons. I've invested heavily in glass that covers FF35 and VV because that's been a lot of what I'm up to lately.

EF VS PL. PL ain't going anywhere. I prefer it. I got a bunch of EF mount stuff that I do use and luckily I have different mounts so I can tap into that glass. For production work and just everyday crazy PL is the business.

Typo fixed!

They do come with a warranty, the same 1 year limited warranty you get if you purchase the lens "normally". No funny business.

Weight is an interesting thing. The Tokinas are about a 1 to 1.5 lbs heavier than some of the Sigmas, though the 14mm is heavier for instance. Tokinas have a large image circle overall and were designed for that larger image circle. The one thing I can say is the Tokinas are larger physically than say the Sigmas. Think smaller than Master Primes, but not too far off. Their size hasn't scared me away from them. I mean weight-wise they are closer to Summilux-Cs (still slightly heavier), which are very manageable. I wouldn't call these heavy honestly. But if we're talking Rokinon DS versus these, well plastic is plastic.

I would say industry response has been generally good. They've been shown around town and most have been really impressed. I honestly would be shocked if these end up winning an award of some sort down the line. They are a ground up brand new design, which isn't the most common thing in this general price point.

On a side note, I'll post some more images up. I have been working with my production set I picked up since January.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Anderson View Post
    Nice Nice Nice.. I like these lenses, expensive but that 18mm is something the otus line doesn't have & PL mount

Kudos Bra
    The 18mm from what I understand is going to be a crazy design. Like really hard to make and utilize tricky aspherics in there. I'm very curious to see how it turns out. The 25mm is a beast however and they are doing things right with this set.
    Phil Holland - Cinematographer - Los Angeles

2X RED Weapon 8K VV Monstro Bodies and a lot of things to use with them.

Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon

Thanks Phil. That's really helpful. I'll stay tuned closely to this one :)
    Bourns Productions Inc. - www.bournsproductions.com
    Scarlet-W #1282
    Epic-W #2038

I just bought the Vista 16-28 PL about a month ago. Such a great lens!
    Director of Photography/VFX -Scherperel Cine LLC
    http://www.stefandp.com.com