Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: RED Hydrogen One - Hands On

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast
  1. #1 RED Hydrogen One - Hands On 
    Today was/is a special day. I was honored to be invited by Jim to take a close look at the upcoming RED Hydrogen One smartphone.

I've got some early impressions and thoughts for those curious. And particularly since I'm both an Android user, RED shooter, and a content creator this "phone" interests me in a lot of ways.

I was able to see and use the working prototypes, basically what Marques saw and a few more things that I won't be able to dive into just yet, but was very impressed by.

What you are seeing mostly is the Aluminum prototype and outside of where the audio jack is, should be damn close to the production version we'll be seeing shortly.

The Phone Experience

Generally speaking what we are looking at is a powerful Android phone with a very nice 5.7 inch diagonal 2D and Holographic screen technology. The interface will be familiar for those who use Android and seems to be pretty smooth.

On the far right there's my trusty Google Pixel XL. The RED Hydrogen One (center frame) is a bit bigger with the textured grips, but fits in my pocket just fine. I also don't think you'll want to get a cover for this thing if you're going to use it in the many ways it can be used. I have to say I don't mind the grips at all, especially as smartphones are getting smoother and a bit slippery. This is something you can grip in a few different ways and I'll make special note that hand holding it in the camera position (horizontal widescreen people!) it felt pretty good having my thumb lengthwise in one of those "grip groves". I've seen a few comments regarding it as a not-so-sexy design, but for me it's sexy in a rather functional way. Especially as some will be using this thing as much more than a phone.

As mentioned by a few now we've got a power button with finger print scanner, two large volume buttons, and one well placed dedicated record button for motion and stills. Simple physical interface plus the capacitive touch screen.

What we don't know? Well call clarity, antennae, etc.... That will come soon. I don't feel in any way there's anything being skimped on here however, so expect good to very good. Hydrogen One is positioning itself to compete with other larger premium phones and do a lot more as well.

Holographic H4V Content

I was able to experience H4V content both with live action footage as well as GPU "game" style content and boy do I have some thoughts on this. First and foremost, I've been highly critical of stereo 3D over the years, hell most of the features I've worked on I've been moderately grumpy about mostly due to the viewing tech and experience. However, let me tell you about this holographic display tech. This isn't a lenticular thing, far from it actually. When looking at the display you'll experience content both jumping out of the screen and also pushing back in depth. No, things don't float above the screen if you have the phone on a table flat in front of you, you need to be peering into it, just like you look at 2D dimensional screens today. And the best aspect form me is you are able to do this glasses free in a casual way. In fact the Hydrogen can switch between 2D and H4V content seamlessly, which is powerful in itself.

I have to stress something here. We're in the earliest of days here and what I saw was truly inspiring and on a content creation potential front, I'm really damn excited. H4V can be created in a variety of ways, but shooting it "right" will be the best way quality-wise. RED's working on that and I got to see a thing, but I can't bloody well tell you about it (when that time comes though....). But it will be easier than some suggested for sure.

There's a magnitude of potential on the gaming and app front as well. While the game-type content was fairly simple, a few very rad concepts jumped out at me nearly literally when seeing what the tech can do.

Personally I truly hope this is just the beginning for this sort of holographic content and I have a good feeling it is. Once you guys see it in action, let your mind drift for a minute and feel where that could go.

Side note, the RED Channel is going to to be a fascinating source for content. This is for the time being unique tech and a unique way to deliver it. And it's in my mind very much worth experience when you combine the image and audio.

Speaking of which.....

Audio Experience

Something I totally didn't think I'd be surprised by, but utterly was is this new audio algorithm that I hope has a memorable name at some point (IAA Immersive Audio Algorithm perhaps). Jim had some headphones and produced a stereo vs audio algorithm applied demo and it is alarmingly impressive. It is taking a stereo source and producing a very deep "feels as if you're there" sensation. I'm going to say it now, some of your favorite music tracks through this new thing are going to be nuts. But also I think for motion picture or gaming content it's also going to kick it up a notch.

I honestly don't know how to describe other than being in the middle of nearly Dolby Atmos quality room. I've got a nice set of Oppo headphones I'm dying to hear this through.

For Filmmakers

Jim nearly underplayed this when the Hydrogen One was announced, but it is indeed gearing up to be a powerful pocket camera. Both for stills and for motion. When shipped it does have a built in camera, but shortly thereafter modules that make Hydrogen One even more interesting for professional level image quality is coming. And I'll tell you right now, nothing is going to touch that for a while in this form factor. This doesn't replace your RED cameras by a long shot, but you will be able to "do work" with this little thing.

RED's coined a term "Holographic Media Machine" and in many ways it will be on the content creation and viewing side. You can sort of do anything with it.

For RED Owners

Exciting times on this front. We have hopes and curiosities about what's possible here, but what we know for sure is Hydrogen One will interface with DSMC2 cameras "somehow". I have yet to see anything of just what that is, but I have a good idea of where this is going. And this is where Hydrogen One becomes not just a phone, but part of your kit.

Modular Potential

I've been able to see a few upcoming modules, but I'll leave it with this concept for the time being. You'll be able to transform this "phone" into a lot of things and it's just honestly way more than that. It's something you can work with, create with, and play with all while being functional in your life on a daily basis. For me that's much of the appeal with the potentail Hydrogen One holds. And I think this is appealing to not just RED shooters/owners, but the general public in many ways even for those who merely want to experience rather than create.

What's Next

Well as we know we'll be seeing the next working prototype in about 30 days in likely the final production body. Modules are "going through the paces" and it will be interesting to see which ones are available shortly after launch. This is something Jim and company have been working on for a while and it's nuts that we just heard about it, but it's clearly a big decision and the start of something I feel can be rather big. For somebody that ordered more than one of these, it's a relief to see that it's on track for release and shaping up to be something I'm getting oddly excited to create with and for.

I can answer a few questions if you've got them, but I'll tell you know much is still in the works and can't be talked about too much.
    Phil Holland - Cinematographer - Los Angeles

RED Weapon 8K VV Dragon "Orochi"
    RED Weapon 8K S35 Helium "Skully"

Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon

I need to change my pants...

so am i basically right in assuming this is "quadro" 3d as opposed to stereo 3d?
    Scarlet-X #970 "Silver"
    paulherrin.com

ok so now after reading your thoughts Phil,

I am even more excited to create holographic h4v content more than getting the phone itself. oh man exciting times indeed !
    Tim Daust
    Reelmind Studios
    EPIC-W 8K S35 HELIUM #325 "Big Boi"
    SCARLET-W 5K DRAGON #740 "Jade"
    @TimDaust @ReelmindStudios

Phil,

Do I need more than one of these?
    The Notorious D.I.T.
    Scarlet #03293
    Local 600
    zack at zack dot cc

Quote Originally Posted by paulherrin View Post
    so am i basically right in assuming this is "quadro" 3d as opposed to stereo 3d?
    Sort of. The key thing is the display tech which is glass free.

Quote Originally Posted by Zack CC View Post
    Phil,

Do I need more than one of these?
    I'm getting more than one for a variety of reasons, for instance one will "live" in my camera kits, but many will make do with just one.

Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon

Phil is this the perfect BTS cam for fast moving single person production.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Holland View Post
    Sort of. The key thing is the display tech which is glass free.
    Interesting. So does that mean the screen will be either impervious or highly resistant to shattering or cracking? Could be a big draw for the casual users. I'm also very interested to know what you know about interfacing with DSMC2. Specifically, can it tap into a video feed wirelessly as many have suspected?

Quote Originally Posted by Shane Peel View Post
    Phil is this the perfect BTS cam for fast moving single person production.
    I don't see why it can't be used for that. Actually that's a pretty slick idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Montgomery View Post
    Interesting. So does that mean the screen will be either impervious or highly resistant to shattering or cracking? Could be a big draw for the casual users. I'm also very interested to know what you know about interfacing with DSMC2. Specifically, can it tap into a video feed wirelessly as many have suspected?
    Didn't ask, but I should have. I imagine it will be something like Gorilla Glass or similar.

As for the wireless video, unknown as of yet. Haven't seen any of the interfacing with the cameras just yet. Stuff will happen, but how deep that rabbit hole goes is a mystery at the moment.

Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon

Hey Phil,

Was the UI itself holographic? Such as buttons appearing off the main screen and depth for wallpapers.

And also, from what you saw did it seem like it was running a version of Nougat or an older version of Android?