Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: Grain and noise in stills

Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Joshua Napier View Post
    Thanks everyone for the feedback.

Brendan,

I used the skin tone OLPF. I'll try the standard on the next shoot and order bigger lights to get the ISO down.
    Cool! STH is Skin Tone Highlight OLPF, so looks like you were dead-on there, I'd definitely continue using it. Just drop that ISO down a bit, even just to 800. That'll really help. That still does look great though! I'm sure you're noticing stuff when pixel peeping though.
    Brendan H. Banks
    DP
    Epic-W Helium #796

Joshua,

Did you just do a shoot in Hampton Virginia with Dave Haycox for this same company?

C
    ---------------------------
    Curtis Boggs
    www.cboggs.com

Cinematographer-DP-Colorist
    Epic-W 8k - G&E
    Sigma Cinema prime set
    Leica-R Cine mod prime set

Brendan,

Haha...I told you I was new to the platform. Thanks for keeping me straight with the OLPF. And thanks for the compliment. I think you're right on regarding the ISO. Come to think of it, the 5D stills that I'm comparing to were all shot with strobes at 100 ISO. I'm shooting another one of these with the RED in Minneapolis in a couple of weeks and I am planning on using larger fixtures to get the ISO down to 400. I think I'll see a big improvement. Also, can't wait to try the new IPP2.

Cheers,
    Josh

Curtis,

I work with Dave Haycox pretty regularly. I'm the Senior Manager - Brand Photography and Videography at Ferguson (which is a corporate name for Creative Director/DP). I manage the internal production crew at Ferguson. We have a studio in Newport News, VA. We do a lot locally but also shoot all over the country. Dave's a great guy and very talented.

Yes, Dave worked a three day shoot locally last month with us. That was actually the first time I tried this workflow of shooting motion and stills with the RED. Those images are really nice as well but had a different issue. We where shooting exteriors mostly, so ISO is actually a bit lower than the TIFF I shared in this thread. However, we own the Cabrio 19-90 and 85-300 so I used those two lenses. That was a mistake. They are fine for shooting motion but don't have the resolution for 8K stills (I don't mind a bit of softness in the motion). So I moved to the Premier 18 - 85 (which is crazy sharp).

This workflow is new to me and has a bit of a learning curve, but I feel like I'm closing in on it. I really appreciate everyones help. Any other advice from folks who work this way would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
    Josh

5.   This is the last RED TEAM post in this thread.   #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by Joshua Napier View Post
    No worries...thanks for getting it repaired.
    It should be working now. Try it out and see.

Graeme
    www.red.com - 8k Digital Cinema Camera
    Science enables stories. Stories drive science
    IPP2, Image Processing, Colour Science and Demosaic Algorithms

Why would the STH OLPF decrease noise? Or is it just the lower iso? Is the ISO for finest grain a different value than the ISO for maximum dynamic range (in general - of course depending on highlight protection)

Senior Member Karim D. Ghantous's Avatar
    I'd like to add a couple of minor comments FWIW. Firstly, the only way to do proper chrominance NR is with a RAW converter (in this case, REDCine-X). You cannot do it right unless the software has a profile for the sensor.

Secondly, you can do decent luminance NR without a sensor profile in at least two ways. Some NR applications let you take samples from the TIFF or JPEG file. Ideally you would shoot a grey card at the ISO you are working with.

Alternatively, if you don't want to do that, you can use Selective Gaussian Blur in most imaging applications, including GIMP. You have to play with the thresholds a bit, but in general, this will not operate on high frequency areas of the image, preserving detail.
    Good production values may not be noticed. Bad production values will be.
    Pinterest
    | Flickr | Instagram | Martini Ultra (blog)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Finegan View Post
    Why would the STH OLPF decrease noise? Or is it just the lower iso? Is the ISO for finest grain a different value than the ISO for maximum dynamic range (in general - of course depending on highlight protection)
    Shooting lower ISO gets you a cleaner image, but also less DR in highlights. Skintone OLPF helps with that.
    Nick Morrison
    Founder, Director & Lead Creative
    // SMALL GIANT //
    smallgiant.tv

Josh,

Small world, I'm a friend of Dave Haycox.
    I'm in virginia beach and have an Epic-w helium.

Dave is a great guy, he just covered for me
    on a TV show deal i have.

Your still looks great. great lighting and sharp.
    I have found the Helium to be cleaner then
    The Scarlet-X i had by a large margin.

We should do lunch at Rudee's and geek out
    over Red cameras.

Curtis
    ---------------------------
    Curtis Boggs
    www.cboggs.com

Cinematographer-DP-Colorist
    Epic-W 8k - G&E
    Sigma Cinema prime set
    Leica-R Cine mod prime set

Curtis,

Sorry for the delayed response. I've been traveling. Lunch at Rudee's sounds great. However, between a demanding job and three small children at home...I doubt I'll be able to make that happen anytime soon. But if you can make it over to this side of the water, we can grab lunch and I'll show you around the studio.

Cheers,
    Josh