Thread: Is it possible to render out with your proxies instead of the r3d?

Reply to Thread
  1. #1 Is it possible to render out with your proxies instead of the r3d? 
    Is it possible to render out with your proxies instead of the r3d? I understand this is very dangerous to allow. In this project I rendered out the r3d to proress from redcinex and the renders will be my masters. But I still think its great to keep the r3d connected. So therefore I'm hoping its possible to still use the proxy route instead of replacing the media.

I found this thread.
    https://forums.adobe.com/thread/2179048

And it does seam like its possible yet. I hope we se it soon. It feels ridiculous to render out from your 8k until final output when you have a proxy.
    Epic #06696
    Epic-W #004069

What if you render your proxy sequence, then export with the check box 'use video previews'. That could be a cheat till they fix this workflow....?

Looked into this a couple of months ago and it was impossible. And I can see why they'd default to not having it be easy to do (if it was a single checkbox it could really ruin someones day) but hope they do implement a way to go export using the proxies.

Quote Originally Posted by Joel Arvidsson View Post
    Is it possible to render out with your proxies instead of the r3d? I understand this is very dangerous to allow. In this project I rendered out the r3d to proress from redcinex and the renders will be my masters. But I still think its great to keep the r3d connected. So therefore I'm hoping its possible to still use the proxy route instead of replacing the media.

I found this thread.
    https://forums.adobe.com/thread/2179048

And it does seam like its possible yet. I hope we se it soon. It feels ridiculous to render out from your 8k until final output when you have a proxy.
    I'm confused by the original post. If you rendered the r3ds to prores and then edited from them, did you ever import the r3ds into your project? I understand you want to keep them connected but they can always be re-linked later if you decide to change your plan from prores masters.

It seems the goal here is to speed the export of a sequence for rough cuts or finished HD projects. If r3ds are used in a timeline, doesn't "Use Previews" achieve the same effect of using proxies as you've indicated? Of course, this is provided you've set previews to ProRes, uncompressed or similar.
    www.hal-long.com
    hal_long [at] icloud

Epic-M Dragon

Quote Originally Posted by Hal Long View Post
    I'm confused by the original post. If you rendered the r3ds to prores and then edited from them, did you ever import the r3ds into your project? I understand you want to keep them connected but they can always be re-linked later if you decide to change your plan from prores masters.

It seems the goal here is to speed the export of a sequence for rough cuts or finished HD projects. If r3ds are used in a timeline, doesn't "Use Previews" achieve the same effect of using proxies as you've indicated? Of course, this is provided you've set previews to ProRes, uncompressed or similar.
    Evrything was already edited. I just wanted to use the latest ipp2 wich is not implimented in premiere yet. So I rendered all clips from rcx pro and in premiere I attached those renders as proxy. The sucky part was that you cant render out your proxys....unless you disconnect/offline your r3d. So I did that. But it would be much more elgant to have a checkbox instead to choose to render from proxys instead.
    Epic #06696
    Epic-W #004069

Got it. Seems that the simplest way to achieve that would be to simply do the Ipp2 renders as you did and only import those into premiere for the edit. You can always re-link later if you need the r3d's for any specific shots. That is until Adobe gives the render from proxy toggle.

Cheers,

H
    www.hal-long.com
    hal_long [at] icloud

Epic-M Dragon