Thread: Recording audio directly into a RED DSMC2 camera

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1. #1 Recording audio directly into a RED DSMC2 camera 
    Hey guys I'm curious to hear about redusers experiences and/or solutions when recording audio directly into RED DSMC2 cameras?

When I owned several DSMC cameras I would attach lavs and shotguns into an A-Box and then the A-Box into the body. The sound quality was pretty good. I've tried this same thing, except with the DSMC2 V-LOCK I/O EXPANDER but the audio wasn't really solid. I've looked at alternative options such as the Off Hollywood OMOD XLR and I'm curious to see if anyone owns one or has tried something else and has experienced a great result?

Please let me know! Thanks!!

I use the v lcok io and get great results, just dont use crappy audio gear in front of it

steve
    colorroomfilms.com
    Epic-W #000592
    Scarlet-W #006650

I initially planned to buy the Omod XLR as well until I read about the QC issues and the biggest drawback of only listening to playback audio through SDI and not the headphone jack.

The next thing I looked at was tilta cage, but it was taking too long to ship and I didn't want to deal with having to ship it far away if something went wrong.

The solution I decided to go with was getting a MixPre-D and attaching it to the camera. As I did more research on it, I noticed the mixpre 3 and 6 just came out. I decided to get the 3, but only ended up finding the 6 for sale.

I quite happy going this direction. The Preamps are quite good. I can record more than two channels. I send the audio to the camera and record a backup on mixpre. I can easily just not attach it to the camera when there's a sound recordist on set. It's very compact and I don't exclusively have to use it with the red camera.

The only drawbacks are that you have to press record twice (on camera and mixpre), you need a seperate TC box to sync them together.

Right now I'm running on nimhs. It will last a couple of hours. I'm going to wait for a dtap to usb-c adapter to come out and power it through that.

www.rogersingh.com
    cinematographer producer

Roger, where do you plugin in the camera? in what module?
    Epic #06696
    Epic-W #004069

I use the DSMC2 V-LOCK and get great results with the SD MixPre-D. Love having the audio synced with the R3D, the analog limiters and high quality pre-amp on the MixPre-D.

IDX A-CP(A) Cheese Plate https://bhpho.to/2t9hjTB + DSMC 15MM ADAPTOR http://bit.ly/2tuAbi8 attached to QUICK RELEASE (DOVETAIL). Connected with Remote Audio cable https://www.trewaudio.com/product/remote-audio-camcxyd/

Attached Images
    Last edited by Blair Thornton; 07-07-2017 at 07:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Joel Arvidsson View Post
    Roger, where do you plugin in the camera? in what module?
    Hey Joel, Sorry I didn't post a full setup photo, but I have the Base Expander with the Element Technica V-Mount (I like it because it has 2x 2pin Lemo Power, plust Dtap). Stereo out of the Mixpre6 into the mic input on the base expander. Set gain all the way down on Red.

I use a smallrig 15mm LWS baseplate, and I purchased an additional 15mm LWS mount and put it on the back of the baseplate. Still leaves room for Air to exhaust out.

baseplate:

http://www.smallrig.com/smallrig-red...late-1756.html

second 15mm rod clamp:

http://www.smallrig.com/smallrig-dua...lamp-1943.html

15mm LWS Cheese Plate

http://www.smallrig.com/cool-cheese-...late-1093.html
    www.rogersingh.com
    cinematographer producer

Quote Originally Posted by Steve DiMaggio View Post
    I use the v lcok io and get great results, just dont use crappy audio gear in front of it

steve
    I've attached a wireless lav to the v-lock and got pretty bad results. I'm wondering if it's the module or the a-box..

1. V-lock expander
    2. Mozegear mini-papi (built specifically for RED)
    3. I use a Sony Mic, rycote blimp, cut the lows.
    4. Best audio ever for Run and gun
    5. Man, I miss my DSMC1.

We have 2 Epic-W upgrades coming our way and have struggled with this, too. The good news is Mark from OffHollywood posted somewhere that the OMOD XLR issues are being fixed so you can play back through the headphones. Hopefully they also get levels up a bit as a lot of people have complained about them being very low.
    Owner/Editor
    Drawbridge Media, Inc.
    www.drawbridge.tv
    ---
    Drawbridge does a mix of corporate video production, spots,
    live events and post-production. We also edit shows for Discovery Networks/TLC.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Ryan View Post
    1. V-lock expander
    2. Mozegear mini-papi (built specifically for RED)
    3. I use a Sony Mic, rycote blimp, cut the lows.
    4. Best audio ever for Run and gun
    5. Man, I miss my DSMC1.
    Jeremy

Can you post a picture of how you set that up on your DSMC2?

Which Sony mic?
    Save the Sharks
    Epic-W Helium 8K (For Rent) Original Manufacturer of Redone & Epic/Scarlet/Weapon Underwater housings - contact us for sale or rent. Aero3D mirror/beamsplitter rig. 954.937.6600 www.Aquavideo.com ... aquavideo1 at yahoo.com