Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: DSMC2 Skin Tone-Highlight OLPF - HELP

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 DSMC2 Skin Tone-Highlight OLPF - HELP 
    Senior Member Brent G Miller Jr's Avatar
    Quick question for someone that knows quite a bit about the new OLPFs. With the older DSMC Skin Tone-Highlight OLPF I've heard not so many great things; however, I don;t know if the new DSMC2 version is actually a different filter, or just repackaged?

Does anyone use the new version for interviews and such? Do you find it beneficial vs the standard DSMC2 filter?

Thank you all very much!!
    Brent Miller Jr.
    Executive Director, Ingenuity Films LLC
    www.IngenuityFilms.com

Theaters 2019. Narrated by Kevin Sorbo:
    www.BeforeTheWrath.com

Personally I love the look of the STH olpf. I use it in any bright light shooting situation. It's handy to have the base ISO of 320-500 if you dig shooting wide open when it's bright. Also it's the only Olpf that if have found to eliminate the red orb effect at high aperatures from bright light sources.

I don't use the standard Olpf, if it's a bright shooting condition I got sth and if it's a low light I go with the low light Olpf.
    Daniel Kelly Brown
    www.danielkellybrown.com

Brent,

Red to my knowledge have not changed the formulation of the STH OLPF in the DSMC2 variant. To be honest the difference between STH and the STD OLPF is subtle. It's very hard to look at a project and say which OLPF was used. I agree that STH offers some image advantages at the expense of exposure over the LLO but any improvement over the newer STD are minor.
    Tom Gleeson

What sensor are you on? I find if I need to do a lot of Off-speed (i.e. medium to high speed 60fps or higher) then the STD OLPF is my friend. STH is pretty good and the basis for the kippertie OLPFS which I absolutely adore.

Brent, I still find the STH the best in my experience but your mileage could vary of course! ;)

For interview settings with controlled lighting and skin tones to be reproduced accurately I'd say it's a no brainer!
    TOMMASO ALVISI | tommasoalvisi.com
    Weapon 6K Carbon Fiber #1605 aka qp
    instagram | twitter

6.   This is the last RED TEAM post in this thread.   #6  
    Formulation is the same - packaging changed to fit newer cameras and provide the auto-detect feature.

Graeme
    www.red.com - 8k Digital Cinema Camera
    Science enables stories. Stories drive science
    IPP2, Image Processing, Colour Science and Demosaic Algorithms

Senior Member Brent G Miller Jr's Avatar
    Thank you all for the input!!
    Brent Miller Jr.
    Executive Director, Ingenuity Films LLC
    www.IngenuityFilms.com

Theaters 2019. Narrated by Kevin Sorbo:
    www.BeforeTheWrath.com

I'm now making STH the default in camera for any commercial/beauty stuff that doesn't have as much of an intense look. Did some food shooting with it and boy does it really retain true colors and helps with falloff. I do make sure to feed it lots of light though.

Shooting Epic-W (Helium).
    Brendan H. Banks
    DP
    Epic-W Helium #796

Just a quick commend.
    Highlight filter is the only filter that fixes the red orbs/dots when looking into the sun at a small aperture. If you need this shot it will be ruined by both standard and low light OLPF.
    The highlight filter will also have better colors in bright areas. The difference in saturation is really strong for many colors if it is bright.
    However with the highlight filter there will clearly be more noise in the dark areas, you will also see noise creep in the the "medium dark" areas.
    Good to know is that when you switch the OLPF filters the image will look the "same" just have more ISO. This is because there is a "hidden" LUT that is being applied to the image that makes sure the image is more similar between the different OLPF, that is at least how I had it explained by a Red technician.

I'm just heading to Falkland where we will film penguins. Our plan is to use Low light for sunset/dusk, and for sunsets probably switch to highlight OLPF so we can shot backlight with the sun straight behind.
    Andreas
    www.ObergWildlife.com- Natural History Filmmaking
    www.WildlifeRescueMovie.com- Saving the animals of the Rainforest!
    2 x RED DSCM2 8K Helium Movi Pro Gimbal, Inspire 2 X7, OConnor 2560, Canon 50-1000mm

I am not a fan of the LLO or STH DSMC2 OLPFs. I use STD with most situations unless asked otherwise and find that I personally get better results with it. You'll get the least amount of noise using the STD OLPF. Everyone has their own opinions, research further IMO.
    Trenton Massey
    Director of Photography, Camera Operator, Producer
    www.ambientskies.com
    trenton@ambientskies.com