Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: RED ONE / DSMC 1 upgrade program finally has an end date.

Reply to Thread
Page 24 of 25 FirstFirst ... 14202122232425 LastLast
    I'm totally OK if the answer is no, but Brent or Jarred, my family was seriously affected by the flooding here in Houston area and the money I had set aside to upgrade my scarlet dragon will be going to repairs on our homes as we didn't have flood insurance since we aren't in a flood plain. Any chance I could get an extension on the upgrade deadline? Like I said, I understand if the answer is no, but my mother always said the answer is definitely no if you don't ask.

Not sure if this was answered already, but will the MX sensor be a part of the sensor swapping program? I really dig the MX look and makes me hesitate selling my R1MX. But if an MX sensor could be put in a Scarlet-W... well that would be very interesting.

Andrew, sorry to hear about your predicament, though sounds like everyone is safe and well at least, houses can be rebuilt after all! Good luck with you pressing issues! Hopefully one of the RED team is able to help you out with a small extension :-)

Anyone else besides me excited to see if any new announcements tonight around midnight? Hahahaha.
    Samir Patel
    instagram.com/patelimages

samir-patel.com

--
    profile photo courtesy @kris_tamburello
    Stealth Weapon-MG and EPIC-W with some vintage Contax-Zeiss and Leica-R goodness and some Canon and Nikon modern glass just for good measure.

A CHARITY-question to Jared (& Jannard) !

Perhaps this is not the right forum, but since the FireChief often is present here, I will put forth an old request from the Scarlet MX-users ...

7 years ago and later, many users saw this Scarlet-video : https://vimeo.com/31222500

where J & J shot at 120 FPS in 3K (8:1 and 1/250) and apparently at a different (lost ?) camera called Scarlet X8 .

However this generated some logical wondering, even some criticism like :

"RED One does 4.5 K - is Scarlet MX's capabilities limited artificially to protect Epic's sale and future ?"

As far as I have read & understand it, the Scarlet MX-sensors are actually Epic-sensors failing the 5K speed at 24-30 FPS and so far that seems economical/ecological reuse of "handicapped" sensors . The sale and swap-offer for MX-owners of the Dragon-sensors made Scarlet much better of course . But this upgrade-offer was expensive and non-existent today .
    A funny notice is that Scarlet AGAIN ended with the number 12 fps Burst Mode - though this time at 6K Full Format ... ;-)

So in the corridors there's been hopefull rumours about a possible capability-change in the MX-sensor . We dont need the extinct, expensive 5K upgrade through Dragon sensors - but a 4.5 K option could help many indies . Personally I shoot at 4K WS (2,4:1) and having only 18 FPS for HDR-X feels like a bitter limit; 24/25 FPS is MY first wish to beg for ...

Well, I guess a lot of people would pay for a 4.5k firmware update, yet I would pay for just a HDR-X firmware update - BUT as a gesture to the filmindustry and the many indies having spent a lot; I think You wonderfull RED-creators should donate a HDR-X firmware update at least ! *** Up to 24/25 FPS at 4K WS 2,4:1 ! ***
    And if such a firmware-update unlocks 4.5 K option the other poor Scarlet MX-indies would love RED forever ! Right ?

With all respect
    And kindest greetings

Thomas D.
    An indie, son of a danish legendary movie-editor .

NB : Originally this was first disussed in --- http://reduser.net/forum/showthread....al+120FPS+test
    Last edited by Thomas D.; 02-03-2018 at 07:29 AM.

I didn't actually know this video was shot on a Scarlet. Always thought it was Epic. Pretty clean for a Scarlet in 1K, I never usually go lower than 3k WS, but the compression on this web video is pretty severe. Anyways, back in the day it was a killer feature for a low budgeters, most of low end was something like 50-60P heavily compressed .h264 in 720P.

I've done some tests recently, just to check how Scarlet MX 2k@75fps & 1k@120fps compares to say, Sony A6500 1080P@120FPS in S-Log2. No wonder, Sony was the winner in this battle. My Scarlet MX introduces lots of noise at 2K, and pretty much loses fine detail. The fun thing is, if you place a person against a forest - there are better detail at a person, but almost none in the background on Sony due to compression, and on a Scarlet there are way less detail on a human, and much more detail in the forest.

Though, even at 3K@60fps Scarlet leaves the Sony's way behind in terms of overall image quality (fine detail, noise etc).

Speaking of upgrading features - years have passed, Red released latest firmware upgrade and is leaving DSMC1 cameras on a shelf. Forget it, upgrade the body to a used Epic MX, if you want more. There will be no changes to MX line in the future.

Senior Member Marcus Friedlander's Avatar
    Never say never in RED land.

The R1 was part of this last upgrade cycle, even though many times it was stated as completely EOL'ed.

I wouldn't be too surprised if, at some point when it won't canablize sales of new cameras, RED released a firmware for legacy cameras that gave it a little bump. Kind of like a thank you to DSMC1 owners. (Maybe when DSMC3 starts rolling out?)

Sounds exactly like the type of thing RED would do lol.
    Cheers,

Marcus Ian Friedlander

RED EPIC DRAGON #03179 "Squillium the Dragon"

"Perfection is the goal, excellence is the standard."

I don't see why a company like RED would spend time updating firmware on an EOL camera instead of making new things. I am glad they invested their resources on making the image quality better for everyone (even your Scarlet MX) rather than add performance they never intended to an entry-level RED.
    Los Angeles | http://www.dcchavez.com | Epic-W #6284 | Epic-W # 4573 | @dcchavez

Kinda wished RED would have lifted the restriction on using non-RED CF cards before making the RED ONE End of Life, as RED never made any CF cards bigger than 8gig :-( :-/ :-(
    http://IronFilm.co.nz/Sound/ (Sound Recordist based in Auckland, NZ. Happy to travel too)
    https://www.youtube.com/c/SoundSpeeding

I think a firmware upgrade to 4.5k is probably possible on Scarlet MX. It would make a lot of Scarlet owners happy. The camera is not that old and still produces beautiful images.