Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: RED ONE / DSMC 1 upgrade program finally has an end date.

Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 25 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by JeanChristophe Dupasquier View Post
    How much will it cost to upgrade from Epic-X (MX) to Epic Dragon (DSMC1)?
    is this even possible?

Senior Member JeanChristophe Dupasquier's Avatar
    Well...it kinda is now if your Epic-X MX breaks down and there's no more replacement parts for it. Good to know (thanks Brent)!

Quote Originally Posted by Brent@RED View Post
    Nick, I don't know that I would call having offered multiple upgrades paths for M-X cams and a heads up that we cannot guarantee repairs beyond end of September is a big F you. We will continue to repair as long as we have parts specific to M-X cameras. If your M-X sensor gets lasered, you can upgrade to a Dragon sensor. Likely similar cost to replacing an M-X one...

Having used up all my savings to buy a used Red Scarlet last month I am bitterly disappointed that it will no longer be repaired if it breaks down.I accept the fact that technology moves on and sooner or later everything we buy becomes obsolete but I feel companies such as Red should have enough spare parts to repair their products for a much longer time scale.Even my Sony pdw video camera which was made 10 years ago can still be sent to either Sony or an authorised repair centre to be repaired.There is no way I can afford to move up to 8K even with the generous discount offered by Red.New lenses,software,hardware,the list goes on,will be needed to compliment the higher resolution.I love the footage coming from my Scarlet,it's awesome but for how long?If it breaks down next year,that's it!! Those Red users with plenty of money will be looked after well by RED but those who struggle to make a living will be left behind with worthless cameras.

Deleted the posting.
    Last edited by Uday Bhaskar Karra; 07-16-2017 at 08:13 AM. Reason: Deleted the posting.
    UDay Bhaskar Karra
    -----------------------
    EPIC-X02970 || Leica R 28mm F2.8 , 35mm F2 , 50mm F2 , 90mm F2 , 35-70mm F4 , 80-200mm F4

5. #85 Really... 
    1) Get a grip. RED still has parts inventory to repair older cameras. This announcement was just a heads up that over time that inventory will get used up with no accessible supply chain.

2) Considering how many upgrade options RED has offered over the years, I think it's unfair to bash them for "leaving customers behind".

3) I have sympathy for individual situations and people are entitled to their point of view. That said, after RED has confused even some of it's own staff by creating so many upgrade paths, I'm firmly in the gratitude camp. If you have actually been treated better by all the other companies you deal with than you have been by RED, please send me the list.

Cheers - #19

Quote Originally Posted by Jarred Land View Post
    Our repair program for R1 and DSMC1 cameras that use the M or MX sensors will come to an end shortly after that as well as we no longer are manufacturing repair parts for those cameras

So if you have been on the fence of upgrading your older bodies to DSMC2, now is probably a good time.
    That's a bummer.

Quote Originally Posted by Jarred Land View Post
    We are also changing things up a bit on how the whole sensor upgrade thing works. It no longer will just be a one way upgrade.
    That's great news! I didn't upgrade my Weapon Dragon to 8k because I shoot a lot of 100fps and I don't like the quality of shooting cropped-sensor and killing the definition. I hope shooting speed improves with the bigger sensors, I'd very much like to go 8K, it's gorgeous...

Senior Member Andreas Mendritzki's Avatar
    Hey, question for @Jarred or anyone up the totem pole who might have some intel:

What about the Dragon ANA iteration of the VV sensor. I remember the idea with that was that it was easier to make than the full VV version, and so could be an option for those who wanted that. Is that still a thing? Any rough idea of how much faster it could potentially happen? (Like, I know you're not going to be able to say, "4 months" or whatever, but like a lot faster? a little bit faster??

thanks!
    Andreas Mendritzki - cineground.com -
    RED Rentals in Montréal, Canada
    CF Weapon 810
    Epic-X 1239
    Scarlet-X 150
    Red MX 4529
    Leica Summicron-C, Cooke MiniS4, Kowa Anamorphic & more

Maybe my Scarlet x will keep going for a long time without breaking down.

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Surdi View Post
    Maybe my Scarlet x will keep going for a long time without breaking down.
    I certainly think that's a distinct possibility. There are literally still RED Ones that have been working out there for years.

However, and this is my personal opinion, find a way to get into DSMC2. It's literally better in every way.
    Phil Holland - Cinematographer - Los Angeles

2X RED Monstro 8K VV Bodies, 1X RED Komodo, and a lot of things to use with them.

Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon