Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: RED ONE / DSMC 1 upgrade program finally has an end date.

Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 25 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast
  1.   Click here to go to the next RED TEAM post in this thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marinus Brückmann View Post
    Only 3Years old Epic MX will Not be repairable? Think of a car... 3years old and the manufakturer called that he has no Parts left to repair it and you should buy a New one? Its hard to trust this Company anymore! Very disappointed! Its a no Go!
    Glad you brought that example up.

GM and Chrysler ( as well as Mercedes since you are in Germany ) have a general policy to produce between (depending on what part ) 5 and 7 years worth of direct inventory repair stock from when they manufacture parts for their vehicles. A lot of that inventory unfortunately is taken away at the beginning for some countries like Turkey that have laws for a certain amount of parts must be on hand for repair.

It's why if your car does break down and its older than a couple years your dealer usually needs to call around to various part warehouses to find parts.. to find what ever is left over.

And remember, it is an easier problem for them, because they make millions of parts in some cases.. And then there are also 3rd parties that manufacture parts as a specialty for older cars.

Apple is another example. In 2016 year they announced they would no longer repair most of their products manufactured ( not the sold date, the manufactured date ) including Macbooks or Mac Minis before 2011, pretty much all Ipods up to the 5th generation, Iphone 3G, etc. .. because they ran out of parts. Apple's policy is also 5-7 years.

RED M cameras started manufacturing 10 years ago and MX cameras started manufacturing 7 years ago.

So yeah.. don't trust us. That's cool. But also don't trust all of them. Meh. Might as well not trust anyone. Everyone is obviously out to get you!

It really doesn't matter how you feel though... It is technically impossible to make circuit boards that we made 5 years ago. As I mentioned, most of the components on those boards go end of life from the vendor within 6 months after they are made ( technology ) and sometimes the new generation part is not compatible with the old parts.

But regardless... you are reading way too deep into what this all means. It just means if something breaks on our first couple cameras you MAY not be able to get a repair with the same version new part replaced. Which really doesn't mean much because the cost to repair some things are more expensive then getting something better anyways. And we will continue to fix things for as long as we can.

Great response

Quote Originally Posted by Jarred Land View Post
    Meh. Might as well not trust anyone. Everyone is obviously out to get you!.
    Haha that made my day.

Senior Member JeanChristophe Dupasquier's Avatar
    How much will it cost to upgrade from Epic-X (MX) to Epic Dragon (DSMC1)?

Deleted the posting.
    Last edited by Uday Bhaskar Karra; 07-16-2017 at 08:14 AM. Reason: Deleted the posting.

Senior Member Marcus Friedlander's Avatar
    That sounds like a totally reasonable request.

The pre-owned market is probably the most effected by this descion. The selling price of an MX camera will plummet without support from RED, and people who just bought, or people who are just trying to sell, will be badly effected.

Hopefully RED can come up with something to make everyone happy without going bankrupt!
    Cheers,

Marcus Ian Friedlander

RED EPIC DRAGON #03179 "Squillium the Dragon"

"Perfection is the goal, excellence is the standard."

Quote Originally Posted by Marcus Friedlander View Post
    That sounds like a totally reasonable request.

The pre-owned market is probably the most effected by this descion. The selling price of an MX camera will plummet without support from RED, and people who just bought, or people who are just trying to sell, will be badly effected.

Hopefully RED can come up with something to make everyone happy without going bankrupt!
    It's affecting DSMC 1 including Dragons. I was looking at the option of selling an entire Epic Dragon kit to move over to something in DSMC 2 with the upgrade still being out of reach and no one is buying. So the option of selling and buying a lesser camera doesn't really even seem like a possible route, unless you basically give your camera away sadly.

I get that things move forward, but it just doesn't seem like trying to sell a DSMC 1 to get DSMC 2 will work. Maybe more time is needed.
    http://jeffreyloewe.com

Producer and Cinematographer at Tesla Motors

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey Loewe View Post
    It's affecting DSMC 1 including Dragons. I was looking at the option of selling an entire Epic Dragon kit to move over to something in DSMC 2 with the upgrade still being out of reach and no one is buying. So the option of selling and buying a lesser camera doesn't really even seem like a possible route, unless you basically give your camera away sadly.

I get that things move forward, but it just doesn't seem like trying to sell a DSMC 1 to get DSMC 2 will work. Maybe more time is needed.
    Uh oh. That's not good to hear. Though, I guess I'm not surprised that the FUD based panic is effecting DSMC1 dragon prices as well. But according to the timeline Epic Dragons should still be serviceable till about 2020 or 2021. Plenty of time to get an ROI from a 25-40k purchase.
    Cheers,

Marcus Ian Friedlander

Quote Originally Posted by Marcus Friedlander View Post
    Uh oh. That's not good to hear. Though, I guess I'm not surprised that the FUD based panic is effecting DSMC1 dragon prices as well. But according to the timeline Epic Dragons should still be serviceable till about 2020 or 2021. Plenty of time to get an ROI from a 25-40k purchase.
    Absolutely! ROI isn't the question here. Nor is the servicing. Its just wanting to get over to DSMC 2 since this is the last chance to do any kind of trade in. I get why the upgrade to the Epic-W is the cost it is, and the value is there. But I keep reading sell your DSMC 1 kit to get a DSMC 2 kit. I just don't see it being a realistic option to get to DSMC 2 unless you're selling it at the cost of the body of a Scarlet-W.
    http://jeffreyloewe.com

Producer and Cinematographer at Tesla Motors

Yeah I see what you are saying. It's a really tough decision. Especially because the epic dragon is such a good freaking camera hahaha.
    Cheers,

Marcus Ian Friedlander