Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: Phil Holland's PhilmColor Creative 3D Luts for IPP2

Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Holland View Post

Yep, use "phfxlovesyou" at checkout. $20 off. It's an early bird discount. When IPP2 becomes "release" I'll likely take that discount away. And will 100% take it away by the time of the next update for sure.
    Thank you Phil!

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Holland View Post
    Thought about doing a sample pack, but honestly I've put a couple thousand sample images online and I think you'll end up missing the full tool kit here. The difficulty is how to handle that when updates come and all that. There should be an impressive update in July/August and that is what you don't want to miss out on.
    No problem, Phil.
    I think I will give it a go.

Purchased !

I am impatient and curious to see the next update.

Phil,

With your ghostStocks, I really can't see any Red owners needing to use power windows to adjust skin tone and skin brightness ever again.

Thank you guys. I'm certainly feeling the love this weekend. Lots of positive feedback and images being sent my way.

Quote Originally Posted by rand thompson View Post
    Phil,

With your ghostStocks, I really can't see any Red owners needing to use power windows to adjust skin tone and skin brightness ever again.
    Well there's always going to be a reason :) But you're on the right path of what the ghostStocks are all about. They are rather subtle takes on transforming specific tonal zones and colors. Many of them increase "density" in skin and transform the general flesh tones to each ghostStock's unique flavor.

There's a lot going on in philmColor. I want people to really browse through the looks and see what each does to their shots. I probably should right up a really detailed document behind each specific LUTs design and/or inspiration. For the time being, I'm cranking away on the upcoming update, which will be a notable one.

Just wanted to share a few interesting examples.

So the "bulk" of philmColor are these baseStocks. These represent so many things. Film inspired, stock emulations, processing emulations, emulations of different cameras even. There's a few helpers in there too. Some are even more subtle in some ways and are just good for general shooting without transforming things to far from the camera's color response.

A few baseStocks I'd like to show here:

baseStock:egret is designed to be really subtle. Does things to skin, subtle general things to specific hues, and tampers a bit with the highlight roll-off to provide a meatier feeling up there. It's a great "always on" look.

baseStock:accentor is designed to look like a specific "other camera" in many ways.

A good deal of the baseStocks are also designed to transform colors in a more dramatic way. baseStock:siskin for instance clearly effects cooler colors as well as slightly effecting skin tones.

Or similarly, something like baseStock:heron clearly does a lot. It's actually based on a film stock, but also slightly tuned to deal with footage commonly shot with LED lighting. Remember you can adjust the Color Temperature to get what you want out of these.

One thing that is pretty common we have to deal with is Day For Night. There are a few DFN helpers in there, but baseStock:nightHeron mimics the traditional pulled exposure and transforming warmer colors to simiulate evening light.

As for the rest, as mentioned, ghostStocks are essentially subtle takes on color science really with a focus on transforming the density and color found in mainly midtones and flesh tones.

One of my favorites on Helium footage has been ghostStock:eidolon for instance. It's a subtle adjustment, but very noticeable. I recommend browsing through all of the ghostStocks whenever you can. You might find a pleasing starting point there for your final image.

The toneAdjusts are indeed helpers, but they also contain subtle looks that keep the chromatic response of the camera in tact while transforming the tonal response to a different flavor. Check out all of the toneAdjust:cineTone variants for instance. Also, if you ever finder yourself thinking I need to "pull the highlights down" or "push the midtones up" there are LUTs here for that. That push/pull mentality is extremely film based in terms of what you could request a LAB to do.

The printModels are different takes on providing that filmed out print appeal. A, B, C, and D have different strengths of "punchiness" through "flatness". I truly enjoy these and something you can do to help carve out your own uniqueness is to get into the Curves, CDL, and Contrast controls. Using a soft touch you'll find that these are pretty powerful. Also adjusting your Color Temperature can be real fun with these.

I'm hard at work on the next update. It's going to take some time, but it should be out in July if all goes well.
    Phil Holland - Cinematographer - Los Angeles

RED Weapon 8K VV Dragon "Orochi"
    RED Weapon 8K VV Monstro "Skully"

Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon

love using these, thanks so much for your talent and hard work brother!
    Andrew Sulf
    SEAWOLF Pro Cinematography
    hello@seawolfcinema.com
    www.seawolfcinema.com
    Studio City, CA

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Solowiej View Post
    Phil, I've been following these LUTs with great thirst. Any chance you can share more about the little discount for early birds? No doubt your work deserves double this rate. But for those of us who are driving 20-year old Honda Civics and eating beans and rice to make Red cameras part of our lives, it would be a great help. And thank you!

Sean
    The hardest part would be for him to figure out which ones to include in a lower priced pack. No two people would agree on which ones they want. :)

Quote Originally Posted by Stacey Spears View Post
    The hardest part would be for him to figure out which ones to include in a lower priced pack. No two people would agree on which ones they want. :)
    I respect and like what Phil had done and his contribution to the RED community. And I agree with what Stacey suggested 100%.

Phil.

I'm kind of loving "Robin" BaseStock now

D001_C021_0120A6.0000621_S000F by rand thompson, on Flickr

Robin Graded 2.
    Robin Graded 2 by rand thompson, on Flickr
    Last edited by rand thompson; 06-27-2017 at 05:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Stacey Spears View Post
    I guess if Phil were so inclined there could be an option of splitting the existing pack into 4 or something?

Pack 1: Base Stocks
    Pack 2: Ghost Stocks
    Pack 3: Print Models
    Pack 4: Tone Adjusts
    ----------------------------------------------------------

2017 Reel

Website
    Twitter
    Instagram