Thread: What was the highest ambient temperature that you have been on a production set?

Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Marshall View Post
    I've found that I have to keep the fan under 40% for sound to be usable, and under 35% if we're super close or in a small room. Unfortunately Adaptive Preview Quiet Record is bugged, and actually raises the fan speed on record when the temp is set above 39C, and even when it does work properly, the fans never ramp up quickly enough between takes, and so the camera overheats pretty quickly.
    I agree. The camera manages heat easily in moderate conditions but the Adaptive modes are sometimes flaky especially when it gets really hot. What I don't understand is the long delay after you button off before the fans spin back up to speed. I really like the fact the fans ramp up but this curve seems way too gentle especially in high heat. If you have only short moments between takes the camera fans do not get a chance to expel the heat.

I would love to see the adaptive fan algorithm take into account that the camera is over its set nominal temperature and add a more aggressive ramp to the fans. Maybe even give this as an option when setting up the fan modes? It would be a reasonably simple firmware update?
    Tom Gleeson

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Gleeson View Post
    I agree. The camera manages heat easily in moderate conditions but the Adaptive modes are sometimes flaky especially when it gets really hot. What I don't understand is the long delay after you button off before the fans spin back up to speed. I really like the fact the fans ramp up but this curve seems way too gentle especially in high heat. If you have only short moments between takes the camera fans do not get a chance to expel the heat.

I would love to see the adaptive fan algorithm take into account that the camera is over its set nominal temperature and add a more aggressive ramp to the fans. Maybe even give this as an option when setting up the fan modes? It would be a reasonably simple firmware update?
    Yeah, that's what I'm looking for - a more aggressive ramp up, or custom curves. On the Dragon, I sort of jump-started the fan by assigning manual 75% fan to a preset, and set one of the side handle buttons to apply it on press, applying adaptive/quiet on release. That way the fans would follow their gentle curve down from 75%, instead of up from ~25%. There's no side handle on the Epic-W I'm using right now, so they're just mapped to soft keys. Also since the fans are quieter, the difference isn't so stark, and I can occasionally run the fans super high in standby without everyone asking where the hairdryer is, or if the camera is broken.

I was shooting in the high 90's this weekend on the beach, no problems ever

steve

Quote Originally Posted by Neil Abeynayake View Post
    Hi Cameron,

I think we took the REDucation class together at AbelCine, Burbank (May, 2016).
    Yes we did! Hows it going?
    I need to get out to LA more and stop in at some of the workshops at Abel Cine. We have nothing out here in vegas.
    www.DistinctVisuals.com
    Gemini #544
    Raven #1542

2017 Cinematography Reel
    REDucated - 2016

Quote Originally Posted by Cameron McKinlay View Post
    Yes we did! Hows it going?
    I need to get out to LA more and stop in at some of the workshops at Abel Cine. We have nothing out here in vegas.
    Pretty good out here. AbelCine has all kinds of training sessions regularly. I've been to few of them. Please let me know when you are in this neighborhood, let's do lunch or get coffee or something.

Take care