Thread: What was the highest ambient temperature that you have been on a production set?

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 What was the highest ambient temperature that you have been on a production set? 
    Hello ladies & gentlemen,

I don't know whether this issue has been addressed in the past or not. If there were any discussions, please accept my apologies.

1). What was the highest ambient temperature that you have been on a production set?

2). And what kind of camera gear did you use?

3). If you used a RED camera, how hot did it get and did it fail or stop working due to overheating at any time?

4). Did you do a Black shading calibration at the ambient temp prior to using the camera in that environment?

Working in Australia I have done dozens of days in temperatures over 40c or well over 100F. At these temperatures the fan can sometimes run to 100% which can make audio awkward if you are inside. The camera has never over heated. There will be a point where the temperature becomes too high but have never come across it. A handy hint for these conditions is to reset your operating temperature from the default 39C to say 45C in the fan section of the menu then redo your black shade at this new setting. This will make it much easier for the camera to tolerate high temperatures and keep fans speed down.
    Tom Gleeson

I just had my ew out in the 114 degree Vegas heat a few days ago and it performed better than any of the cast and crew did. But we chewed threw batteries fast because those fans were working OVERTIME! Thanks for the temp tip Tom! Gonna do that from now on
    www.DistinctVisuals.com
    Gemini #544
    Raven #1542

2017 Cinematography Reel
    REDucated - 2016

Cameron,

You will be amazed by the difference.
    Tom Gleeson

Dubai, well over 40, no problem with an Epic Dragon

Thanks for the fan tip, Tom. I'm in Malaysia most of the time and we get it pretty hot here, too, so I'll start adopting that practice for outdoor shoots.

I've had a Scarlet-W out in 100+ degree weather and it did just fine.

The 4.7" screen, however...

Thanks Tom, Cameron & Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Lochert View Post
    I've had a Scarlet-W out in 100+ degree weather and it did just fine.

The 4.7" screen, however...

Hi Aaron,

Thanks. Did the 4.7" monitor fail on you or it just quit working for that day?

Had a shoot last year that was inside a winterized (dark green) army tent in the summer sun. It was only 90-95F outside, but sometimes 120F inside the tent. Camera was a Scarlet-MX. The fan mode was set to Adaptive with the target temperature set as high is possible - 70C. We black-shaded the camera at the top target temperature. The camera had no issues working all day like this. The camera core temperature got high (I don't remember to top end), but never hot enough to send the fans into protection mode or have the camera shutdown. We ran on AC power the whole time. The cast and crew had a lot more issues with the heat than the camera.

Quote Originally Posted by Cameron McKinlay View Post
    I just had my ew out in the 114 degree Vegas heat a few days ago and it performed better than any of the cast and crew did. But we chewed threw batteries fast because those fans were working OVERTIME! Thanks for the temp tip Tom! Gonna do that from now on

Hi Cameron,

I think we took the REDucation class together at AbelCine, Burbank (May, 2016).

Quote Originally Posted by Neil Abeynayake View Post
    Hi Aaron,

Thanks. Did the 4.7" monitor fail on you or it just quit working for that day?
    It would go black until we cooled it off enough and power cycled the camera. Happened several times throughout the day.

We had a sidekick so changing settings was still an option. And we still had video feed going to the AC's monitor and video village, so we were able to work around it.