Thread: Better focus assist tools

Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Grevsen View Post
    I use a couple of different setups with external monitors. Like adding a 5" monitor next to the RED Touch and having it zoomed in constantly for critical focus.
    I'm likely going to add a Shogun Flame on camera for the high brightness
    and the focus peaking tools.
    Seems odd to me that it can't be in camera though.

Senior Member Robert Gustafsson's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Grevsen View Post
    I use a couple of different setups with external monitors. Like adding a 5" monitor next to the RED Touch and having it zoomed in constantly for critical focus.
    Quote Originally Posted by Curtis boggs View Post
    Seems odd to me that it can't be in camera though.
    In order to keep the whole rig small and compact for those gigs that require a lightweight set-up, I don't want to keep adding 3rd party stuff if it's not absolutely necessary. I hate cables in general and adding a 2nd monitor with a bunch of extra cables just for focus is far from ideal to me. I agree with you Curtis, it's just seems odd...
    Why not go 1-800 Flowers to the RED engineers responsible for the focus assists?
    RED DSMC2 Helium #1939
    http://treborian.com

In production: http://radiusthemovie.com

Cinegear is coming up, perhaps someone can ask Red why there is no color on the focus tools. I don't think color would benefit the edge tool, but I do think it would help the focus tool. I had never really used the focus tool, always use edge, until I did a shoot with Phil in December. He used focus. It worked pretty well 1:1. I find that edge does not work well 1:1. Its too noisy.

Isn't the LCD sharpening also in the video signal? (proxy and SDI Out)

I use the BM EVF the magnify 1:1 and green peaking is working and quite good even if I find it a bit too frogiving (peaking tolerance is a bit to big).

As you can see the BM EVF is tiny, wich is good when you use small optics like the Standard speed, and wich is also good as your left eye is not obstructed by a big EVF like the Gratical (wich I used 3 years).