Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: IPP2 grading workflow in Resolve 12.5

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 IPP2 grading workflow in Resolve 12.5 
    Hey guys,

here is a quick breakdown how I am grading IPP2 footage in Davinci Resolve 12.5.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qrFtmG8n9nE

The LUTs referenced in the video are:
    Omeneo Primers (our favorite) http://omeneo.com/primers/
    RED2ALEXA LUTs: http://truecolor.us/news/red-to-alexa-lut-package/
    and the RED LUTs can be downloaded from red.com.

Thanks for watching and please subscribe if you liked it - I have a lot coming up :-)
    Best,
    Chris

The free Red LUTs are actually at this link:

https://www.red.com/downloads/560050d0f01b302637007029

What happens if you choose not to use LUTs at all and just color-correct the image with the controls within Resolve?
    marc wielage, csi • colorist/post consultant • daVinci Resolve Certified Trainer

Christoph, I really appreciate all the contributions you make on this site!

One thing to note is that the new debayer is part of IPP2 but isn't present in resolve yet. Graeme has mentioned the LUTs are not quite the same as the actual IPP2 settings (medium, very soft etc) which use some kind of algorithm instead of a look up table. All that means is that things will be even easier and cleaner to use very soon!

4.   This is the last RED TEAM post in this thread.   #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc Wielage View Post
    The free Red LUTs are actually at this link:

https://www.red.com/downloads/560050d0f01b302637007029

What happens if you choose not to use LUTs at all and just color-correct the image with the controls within Resolve?
    I don't think that's advisable unless through luck you manage to get something you aesthetically like that look of. And even then, you're not grading in a monitor independent manner. You'll notice all the IPP2 cubes are named after monitor specs of colour space primaries / gamma (or encoding curve). That's because IPP2 is designed to be monitor independent, so you can grade in your neutral RWG/Log3G10 space, targeting the monitor you're viewing on. Then, say you need an HDR version you replace REC709/BT1886 with REC2020/SMPTE2084 and as if by magic, you've got an HDR version (you may want to tweak, but the major work is done for you).

If you grade in a output referred manner, or use output transforms that don't match with the monitor you're using, you loose that powerful aspect.

Graeme
    www.red.com - 8k Digital Cinema Camera
    Science enables stories. Stories drive science
    IPP2, Image Processing, Colour Science and Demosaic Algorithms

Quote Originally Posted by Graeme Nattress View Post
    I don't think that's advisable unless through luck you manage to get something you aesthetically like that look of.
    Might be luck, or it might be skill -- you never know.

I have no problem with actual color science and I use it all the time. I was speaking entirely of the so-called commercial "look LUTs" the o.p. mentioned in his message, which I think was intended to sell LUTs. And I have no problem with IPP2.
    marc wielage, csi • colorist/post consultant • daVinci Resolve Certified Trainer

Thanks Christoph for including Primers. Much appreciated...

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Wielage View Post

I was speaking entirely of the so-called commercial "look LUTs" the o.p. mentioned in his message, which I think was intended to sell LUTs.
    Primers are not "look LUTs".

They are tools for getting referent imagery on set and in post, plus shaping tools for post.
    Look is left to the Creative.

ACES has IDT's, which are "scene referred". These are "sensor referred" and lookup table embodied transformations, ironing the camera-originating offsets. So more specific. So you don't have to have a bunch of those for each scene type, like IDTs and they don't count on general signal mapping specs, but the actual signal and its particulars. And they can actually be used on various places and tools.

Also, these do not replace base color science, they rely on it.
    A lot of bad stuff happens in the last step from base color science to target and that happens with every camera with typical transformation routes. A lot of bad stuff can be avoided and some image aspects an be improved as well in that last step.
    Analog > Apollo wooden handgrip http://omeneo.com
    Digital > Primers - professional image transformation tools http://omeneo.com/primers

imdb

"Como delfines en el fondo del oceano
    volamos por el universo incentivados por la esperanza"

"L'esperanza", Sven Vδth
    "It's a poor sort of memory that only works backwards"
    Jung/ Carol

Hey Christophe,

Did you get the new RED to Alexa LUT's from Truecolor? John developed some new ones that work with the new IPP2 system. When you download the LUT's now you get a Legacy version (the exact same series of transforms as before) and a new set which is for the IPP2 system. The IPP2 version no longer pushes the exposure by one stop since the new Helium Firmware does this for you already in camera. And he includes a Transform that simply adjusts the color to be more like an Alexa but doesn't actually do anything to the contrast controls so you can use the new IPP2 contrast and highlight controls.

You can use this new system both in camera as well as in Redcine x (which will natively use the new IPP2 system) or you can use it in conjunction with the new downloadable IPP2 LUTS from RED. You simply make your first node that uses one of the IPP2 transforms and then you add his IPP2 RED to Alexa LUT afterwards to get more ARRI like color. It's a great hybrid of the benefits of both systems. I love the new contrast and highlight controls of the IPP2 system but I sometimes like the RED to Alexa LUT as a starting point for color.

One important detail to note is you still don't get the benefits of the new debayering algorithms developed by RED that gives you a sharper image with more highlight retention. That will come out soon when the new SDK is finalized. If you want the benefits of this new image development, you can export ungraded RWG/Log3G10 proxies from Redcine x that you can bring into Resolve to follow the coloring protocol you outlined.

I'm liking these IPP2 output presets very much. Very natural colours and rolloff.

Thank you for sharing this Christoph! Very informative and helped understand a few new things about the new IPP2 workflow which I found a little confusing at the beginning. Cheers!

10. #10 where is ipp2 in new build? 
    hi,

i just received my new epic-w and was watching the "upgrade your workflow with ipp2 pipeline" videos on the main red site. http://www.red.com/news/upgrade-your...ssing-pipeline

it says there's an image drop-down menu, and a change in the menu in general, but this is not the case with my system. i've checked the firmware, and it's up to date.... so where is this new menu?

thanks,
    - dan