Thread: Imac screen calibration

Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve DiMaggio View Post
    I had no idea that a calibrating software literally maps to the screen and reads the "geography". Very cool and it makes me understand my a good monitor is needed. Flanders=Earthworks.
    okay, I think I confused you ;-)

the cal sw does not account for any of the screen's uniformity - it only knows what the probe reports. And the probe is usually positioned in the center of the screen. so when u're finally calibrated, what is actually calibrated is the center of the screen, where the probe took readings and the cal sw created offsets for.

On consumer end, lower end displays, the uniformity deviations of the panel will cause the calibration to be way less good once u move off that center spot.

so, if u're grading somebody in your shot on the far left it may be that the contaminated skin tone u're seeing is because of ur screen, not necessarily because of the capture.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Nagel View Post
    okay, I think I confused you ;-)

the cal sw does not account for any of the screen's uniformity - it only knows what the probe reports. And the probe is usually positioned in the center of the screen. so when u're finally calibrated, what is actually calibrated is the center of the screen, where the probe took readings and the cal sw created offsets for.

On consumer end, lower end displays, the uniformity deviations of the panel will cause the calibration to be way less good once u move off that center spot.

so, if u're grading somebody in your shot on the far left it may be that the contaminated skin tone u're seeing is because of ur screen, not necessarily because of the capture.
    you actually made things very clear, when I would ring out my studio I would always thought "well the mic is here that is calibrating but what if I lean back"

Nothing is perfect I just want better if possible, if not, I am cool with that also

steve
    colorroomfilms.com
    Epic-W #000592
    Gemini 5K #010961

What I dont understand is why the resolve dongle is not a probe. Imagine if that usb stick was a probe and just held to the monitor and resolve could play up a series of calibration color patches under choosen color space. Done.

As of now the screens are pretty good. My LG 5k screen I bought from apple is good I would say in most ways better than any existing screen like 3 years ago. So things are getting cheaper and better at a speed thats crazy.
    Björn Benckert
    Creative Lead & Founder Syndicate Entertainment AB
    +46855524900 www.syndicate.se
    Flame / VFX / Motion capture / Monstro

welp just got the imac set up, holy crap this thing is bright!

steve
    colorroomfilms.com
    Epic-W #000592
    Gemini 5K #010961