Thread: ISSUE with new IPP2 firmware, cam does not work anymore.

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 ISSUE with new IPP2 firmware, cam does not work anymore. 
    We downloaded the beta version a week back onto our Red Epic-W. It worked like a charm. Tested it in and out.

Prepped for a shoot with full confidence that the camera was up to snuff based off 7 days of testing.

Fired camera up for a final white balance, put the camera in our water housing, shut down. Took jet skies out for a one take shot with a helicopter fly over dropping thousands of flower pedals... Raining down at 72FPS... It would've been magic. One chance, one take.

We get into position, they cue the heli, we fire camera up, camera fires up for a second, then shuts down. We try to power up again, it fires up but we are left staring at a Red Logo stuck on screen. Heli flies over, drops the pedals as we scream and bang our heads against the ski. Shot lost.

Every time we fire up the camera now, with different batteries, no cards, no lenses, etc the red logo just hangs on screen.

We tried reflashing the firmware, no luck, still the logo just sits on screen.

Red please help ASAP. We have a log file that was produced on the card. Need this camera up and running ASAP... Not to mention, losing a (what I would call) once in a lifetime shot in front of 100ppl stings both the ego and the credibility. Thanks for the help!

I have a shoot tomorrow, I guess I will not change anything tonight......that sucks....
    Forged CF Helium 8K 00107
    Scarlet X 02249 (The Gateway Drug)
    Fujinon Cabrio 19-90 Version 2
    RED Pro Zooms and Primes
    Director/DP at https://www.butcherbox.com

Living life by the ocean.

Wait the logo is only on beta. Go back to the last full build. That would be my solution! (or are you saying the camera is not reading rollback firmware off the mini-mag?)

Hi Samir, we tried reflashing the full build as well. No luck. The camera doesn't recognize the media with the firmware on it.

I have exactly the same problem! It is shutting down; does not record, when I push any record button, says attached module is not supported - pleas shutdown; it's even stopping during 4K ProRes recordings!
    We've been shooting six webisodes for a big supermarket in Germany.. Everybody was on set - about 20 people and me behind the camera freaking out, because the camera fucked our production.
    Even the agency joked about us, that it wouldn't happen with an arri camera...

This should not happen with a 60K camera!!

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Bichler View Post
    I have exactly the same problem! It is shutting down; does not record, when I push any record button, says attached module is not supported - pleas shutdown; it's even stopping during 4K ProRes recordings!
    We've been shooting six webisodes for a big supermarket in Germany.. Everybody was on set - about 20 people and me behind the camera freaking out, because the camera fucked our production.
    Even the agency joked about us, that it wouldn't happen with an arri camera...

This should not happen with a 60K camera!!
    This firmware is only a beta so far.

I understand your frustration but RED explicitly notes that Beta firmware versions should not be used on real life productions !!! for exactly that reason. On the release versions the cameras are stable as hell. can't really blame RED if you guys are runing beta firmware on commercial shoots.

I had similar issues though, the camera wouldn't boot properly and then got stuck with a white screen after the red logo appeared. the issue is the IPP2 setting in image. hold the power button pressed for 30 sec to reset the camera, then it should boot ok when it's back to the old color science settings, did the job for me.
    Dr. Dominik Münch D.O.C.A
    Filmmaker & Cinematographer
    Epic-W "Lucy"
    http://www.blacksun-productions.com
    http://www.instagram.com/drdominikmuench

the last full build was feb v6.3.78 - roll back
    Tim Daust
    Reelmind Studios
    WEAPON HELIUM 8K S35 #6197 "Wicked"
    DSMC2 GEMINI 5K S35 #15175 "Jade"
    @TimDaust @ReelmindStudios

Hey Tim, we tried rolling back multiple times, but the firmware on the red mag isn't being recognized by camera. The camera fires up, both lights blink green without end, and the red logo hangs on screen... Until we hard shutdown the camera. If there are any other thoughts please let us know!

I would love to avoid having to send this into Red as we are supposed to be shooting for the next 7 days on this rig.

Quote Originally Posted by Nathan Apffel View Post
    Hey Tim, we tried rolling back multiple times, but the firmware on the red mag isn't being recognized by camera. The camera fires up, both lights blink green without end, and the red logo hangs on screen... Until we hard shutdown the camera. If there are any other thoughts please let us know!

I would love to avoid having to send this into Red as we are supposed to be shooting for the next 7 days on this rig.
    The Beta has issues recognizing the DSMC2 side handle properly, take the side handle off, reset the camera to defaults and try flashing that way.
    Dr. Dominik Münch D.O.C.A
    Filmmaker & Cinematographer
    Epic-W "Lucy"
    http://www.blacksun-productions.com
    http://www.instagram.com/drdominikmuench

Hey Dominik, we took off all modules, even the damn canon mount. Haha. Any other advice/ things you can think of? I am at a loss scratching my head here.