Thread: R3D clips in FCPX look dull compared to Red Player/RedCine-X Pro. Any suggestions?

Reply to Thread
  1. #1 R3D clips in FCPX look dull compared to Red Player/RedCine-X Pro. Any suggestions? 
    Hey Everybody,

My R3D footage looks vastly different in FCPX (inside the app and after exporting) when compared to how the clips look in Red Player/RedCine-X Pro.

In FCPX they look washed out and dull, and in the Red Player they have good contrast and vibrant color.

This has happened on both of my laptops with files from both the Scarlet MX and Scarlet-W. It also happens with any footage I download from Red.com.

Was using Red Gamma4 and Red Color4 on the MX & Red Gamma4 and Dragon Color2 on the Scarlet-W.

I am attaching two screenshots below.

Any help is much appreciated!

My Best,

Danny Finneran

Email: DannyFinneran@gmail.com
    Vimeo: https://www.vimeo.com/DannyFinneran
    Insta: @DannyFinneran

I'm thinking you are looking at the RED footage in FCP without any gamma or color correction. Press the little magic wand button for a quick look.
    Dominic DeSantis
    Epic-W and Scarlet-X
    Canon, Nikon, PL
    Fuji Cabrio

Quote Originally Posted by Dominic DeSantis View Post
    I'm thinking you are looking at the RED footage in FCP without any gamma or color correction. Press the little magic wand button for a quick look.
    When I click "Modify Red Raw Settings" in the clip inspector it shows Red Gamma 4 and Dragon Color 2 for the Scarlet-W and Red Gamma 4 and Red Color 4 for the Scarlet MX. So I don't think that is it unfortunately.

Hmm
    Dominic DeSantis
    Epic-W and Scarlet-X
    Canon, Nikon, PL
    Fuji Cabrio

Danny, when you imported the files into FCPX, did you copy files to the new library or did you choose leave in place?
    Forged CF Helium 8K 00107
    Scarlet X 02249 (The Gateway Drug)
    Fujinon Cabrio 19-90 Version 2
    RED Pro Zooms and Primes
    Director/DP at https://www.butcherbox.com

Living life by the ocean.

Quote Originally Posted by Scot Yount View Post
    Danny, when you imported the files into FCPX, did you copy files to the new library or did you choose leave in place?
    I have done both leave in place and copy files to library storage location and I have tried changing background rendering on/off. I have also tried changing the Rendering project settings to all the different codecs and it hasn't made a difference.....I have also tried exporting out to different codecs with FCPX and that hasn't worked.

The only thing I haven't changed is the color space within project settings which is set to Rec 709.....the only other two options are Rec 601 (NTSC) & Rec 601 (PAL).....so that wouldn't be it, unless there is supposed to be an option for Dragoncolor2 there and its not showing up

The only thing that gets it back close to where it was is by going to the Red Raw settings plug in and boosting saturation to around 1.2 and contrast up to 0.2

I am also one of the few that uses FCP X. I keep trying to make the switch to Premiere but I really like FCP. Anyways, I have not found the same issue. But, maybe is that I don't check that closely and just rely on the grade. I will try to check to see the difference between Red Cine-X and FCP tomorrow. As an aside, if you monitor supports it, you should see Rec2020 as a color space option.
    Weapon 8K S35

I will say, that any rendered quicktime file out of FCPX and played back with quicktime player will look desaturated. the same video in VLC with look good.

VFX, Cinematographer, Photographer
    10 frame handles
    Vimeo
    Instagram

I wouldn't try to judge anything in terms of color quality unless you have a color-managed output (outside the operating system) and a calibrated external display. Scopes can help as well.

How does the material look on the internal scopes available in FCPX? What happens if you render out a section of material in Redcine-X Pro and then compare that to the original within FCPX?

I frequently will look at the client's edited reference version of their project (with a temporary look they've added from Redcine or another program), and if I compare it to the usual RedGamma/DragonGamma 4 and Redcolor4/DragonColor settings, it looks 99% identical in Resolve. And that's on scopes and a calibrated display. I use this so when we start moving far away from this look, I can remind them "here's where you were -- here's where we are now."

One workaround for you would be to just do your initial scene selection and cutting with proxies, then reconform back to the camera files for the final render. The advantage is that you could whittle down the material to a very small drive, and you could also have a portable system capable of working anywhere, including while traveling. I've always questioned the need to cut high res files (particularly 4K/5K/6K+) when you're this early on in the decision-making process. If I were an editor, I'd much rather have a 500GB portable drive with proxies to deal with rather than (say) an 8TB RAID with original R3D files.
    www.colorbymarc.com | colorist / post-production consultant

Danny, did you ever find a solution to this? I am having the very same problem.

Thanks