Thread: Problems with Auto Focus and Nikon lens?

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 Problems with Auto Focus and Nikon lens? 
    Hi all,

I own a Weapon MG 6k with Nikon mount (used with several Nikon lens). Since the beginning I can't have the autofocus to work in a reliable way so I ended up using only manual focus. It's my preferred way to shoot bu nevertheless there are times when I'll like to have a working autofocus that's accurate to achieve focus in static subjects.
    For example if one wants to use the rack focus function, the camera has to achieve focus first in autofocus mode and only then we can star using rack focus in several points in the scene.

My camera miss the focus even in well lit and high contrast situations. And sometimes it works ok.

Anyone had similar problems using automatic focus in Red cameras? Could it be that the focus accuracy is simply not good enough with nikon mount/lens?
    Any advice will be greatly appreciated !

Thanks!
    Rui Guerra - PHOTOGUERRA Underwater Productions, Lda.
    www.photoguerra.net

Since I didn't got any answers for this issue, should I assume that:

1 - The automatic focus of all the users's Red cameras are working 100%

or

2 - Nobody ever uses autofocus so maybe most of the users really don't know if it's working properly or not?

?????

Thanks!
    www.photoguerra.net

I don't use autofocus, my problem with the Nikon mount is aperture control or lack of it.
    Red Weapon Helium
    GL Optics Leica R
    Nikkor
    Looking forward to finally using my Hydrogen with whatever Komodo is...
    PresidentialFilmPhoto.com
    Cinematography & Fashion/Glamour Photography

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Kennedy View Post
    I don't use autofocus, my problem with the Nikon mount is aperture control or lack of it.
    As long as you use a compatible Nikon lens (there is a chart listing all the usable lens in the User's Manual) it should work fine. Never had any major problems regarding aperture control, although sometimes, right after turning on the camera it looks like it freezes (usually in a wide aperture, with a very bright image in the LCD). But if you choose the widest aperture or the smallest one (in the touch screen) it will start working normally immediately.

But my auto focus is really very "emotive" and I cannot really on it for anything, no matter the light conditions or the lens used.

I wonder if it's only happening to me (although this is happening since I've bought the camera new from Red Europe) or if there are more people out there with similar auto focus problems with Red cameras.

Cheers,
    www.photoguerra.net

I find Nikon autofocus unreliable and not repeatable. It works best for high contrast targets in good lighting. I do like how nicely I can servo focus using the side handle to control both focus and iris.
    DSMC2 Helium 1402
    DSMC2 Helium 6423

Quote Originally Posted by Rui Guerra View Post
    As long as you use a compatible Nikon lens (there is a chart listing all the usable lens in the User's Manual) it should work fine. Never had any major problems regarding aperture control, although sometimes, right after turning on the camera it looks like it freezes (usually in a wide aperture, with a very bright image in the LCD). But if you choose the widest aperture or the smallest one (in the touch screen) it will start working normally immediately.
    Yeah look at the size of that list compared to the Canon lenses supported. Nikon users seem to get the shorter stick on this front. On that list out of all the Nikon lenses I own only 3 are on that list, neither are my go to zooms (24-70 f/2.8 VR and the 70-200 VRI).

Occasionally I'm able to control the aperture on those lenses. Most of the time when I turn on the camera the aperture is stuck at f/2.8-which is the only selectable/visible aperture on my touchscreen. But if I remove the lens and put it back on after several seconds it might let me change the aperture (around 50% of the time). Don't know if it's my mount. Luckily I shoot with older lenses with aperture rings or PL lenses so it's not a big deal.
    Red Weapon Helium
    GL Optics Leica R
    Nikkor
    Looking forward to finally using my Hydrogen with whatever Komodo is...
    PresidentialFilmPhoto.com
    Cinematography & Fashion/Glamour Photography

It would be nice to have some input from the Red people here, so we can understand what is the issue. Maybe the type of focus control on Nikon lenses is more difficult to implement? Or the Nikon mounts are somehow made differently then the Canon ones? Or is the camera's firmware that have issues controlling the Nikon lens focus?

We have already three people here that don't have 100% functionality on their Nikon mounts. I wonder if there is more people with some kind of problems...?
    www.photoguerra.net

Hi Rui.
    I believe Red engineers are presently working on some fixes and improvements for Nikon lenses, and Nikon mount lenses (such as the Sigma Art Series).
    We did a test a few weeks ago with Foolcontrol and Latitude and both systems had issues while the lens was in auto focus mode.
    Additonally, aperture control was spotty, and occasionally we'd have to re-mount the lens a number of times before we would gain control of the iris.
    These issues have been addressed by Red and are being worked on, so I'm told.
    It's would be nice, for a number or reasons and applications, to have autofocus work reliably, whether using it for something delivertate (focus pull) or event based tracking a skier etc.
    We also tested canon lenses and they were much more responsive.
    Jason George, D.O.P
    http://www.jasongeorge.com

I was using continuous autofocus to track fast moving subjects on a D800 with a 500mm lens recently and for sure- having the same tracking ability on the Red would be invaluable.
    Let's hope some expansion (all Nikon mount lenses) and fixes for existing ones are imminent.
    Thanks.
    Jason George, D.O.P
    http://www.jasongeorge.com

Yes, Jason, I agree with you.
    At least with Nikon mount, the autofocus on Red cameras looks like have some serious issues. Even with stationary subjects, a fast (or at least an accurate) AF is a major need, specially for those of us doing natural history shoots.
    www.photoguerra.net