Thread: Scarlet Dragon Hoya ND filter test

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Scarlet Dragon Hoya ND filter test 
    I shot some footage recently on Scarlet Dragon using a Format Hitech ND1.8 filter that I had last used successfully on Scarlet MX in the past (I can't remember details but I think the Format Hitechs were recommended on Reduser). There was a pretty obvious color cast. For stills photography going back many years I always used Hoya filters, so I put on a Hoya ND that I had for stills photography, no color cast. I since got a number of Hoya ND filters from BH Photo and tested them, Jpeg files are being posted. (I also have R3d still files, not sure if I can post these on reduser. The Hoya filters look good to me.
    Attached Images

Will attempt to attach the last two (the Format is a 1.8 ND, i.e ND32 (5stops)
    Attached Images

Senior Member Satsuki Murashige's Avatar
    Looks like your Formatt filters may actually be IRNDs, judging by the green color cast? Nice to know the Hoyas work well.

Has anyone tried the Hoya IR Cut along with these? Is it comparable to the Tiffen hot mirror in performance?

Quote Originally Posted by Satsuki Murashige View Post
    Looks like your Formatt filters may actually be IRNDs, judging by the green color cast? Nice to know the Hoyas work well.
    I believe it is an IRND, but I thought that was supposed to be ok as the dragon sensor supposedly is not sensitive to IR

Quote Originally Posted by Werner Jauch View Post
    I believe it is an IRND, but I thought that was supposed to be ok as the dragon sensor supposedly is not sensitive to IR
    Ever Since Dragon, IRND is not needed or recommended.

VFX, Cinematographer, Photographer
    10 frame handles
    Vimeo
    Instagram

IRND filters that work on an absorptive principle (green tint) never worked well with Red cameras, even the MX sensor. They were designed to work with Sony and Arri cameras. You could sometimes get away with them in a pinch, but they required white balancing and grading in post to get back to normal. Most people used Hot Mirror or dichroic filters with MX that work on a reflective principle. These became unnecessary with the Dragon sensor and the new OLPFs.

I get a bit confused because i believed that was the current thinking but everyone is going mad for the NISI IRNDs at the moment.
    ----------------------------------------------------------

2018 Reel

Website
    Instagram

I think the Nisi's use the same technology as Formatt Firecrests and Mitomo True NDs. True NDs are legit - I have always had great experiences with them, have never heard any complaints about them other than the possible fragility of the coatings. I know they have been used on some of the biggest shows and continue to go out all the time. At $600/each for 4x5.65 though, they are almost double the cost of standard NDs. Some people here really seem to like the Firecrests, but there also have been reports of color shift on this site, and I have yet to see them appear at the rental house. I suspect the Nisi's will be more like Firecrest rather than True NDs, at least going by the price.

Its funny, the original packaging for the Firecrest ND were "Firecrest IRND". They have dropped all IR on them now.

VFX, Cinematographer, Photographer
    10 frame handles
    Vimeo
    Instagram