Thread: NIKON Mount Sigma Art 85 1.4 SUPPORT

Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    PLS

Please

Senior Member Michael MacDonald's Avatar
    Make Jamon a happy Camper send the update!!!
    Michael Media Group, INC.
    www.michaelmediagroup.com
    Creative Director | Videographer | Post Editor
    Social Media @MichaelJMacDonald
    Red Dragon: #03177 "Prinnce"
    Red Rocket X
    DJI Ronin

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Dishler View Post
    I have two epic W, both with Nikon mount, would love for their to be Sigma 85 support, and for that matter support for many newer Nikon brand lenses with electronic aperture. Asked about a year ago whether there was going to be continued support for newer Nikon lenses and was given a "most definitely" response, but have not seen any added to the approved list. Maybe it is time to give up on Nikon and switch to PL? It would be helpful to know the roadmap.
    Indeed! I also use a Nikon mount here and one of the thing that never worked well is the autofocus thing. Although not a need for everyday shooting, there are defenetly time when a good autofocus will be a lifesaver. I've never understood why RED announces this mount as autofocus one since it just misses focus every time. The strange thing is that camera knows when the focus is on spot (one can see that with the focus confirmation bar, pie or circle so if the camera know when it's in focus why doesn't the lenses focus be accurate in autofocus mode? This happens with all the Nikon AF-S lens that I have tested.

All this non-working autofocus think makes rack focus useless, for example. This is my second Nikon mount (the first one got an aperture control problem and was replaced under warranty) and both have the same problem.

I wonder:

1 - The other Nikon mount owners here are able to use the autofocus function with accurate results? If so, with which lenses?
    2 - The Canon mount owners have a reliable and useful autofocus functionality?

Thanks for the feedback!
    Rui Guerra - PHOTOGUERRA Underwater Productions, Lda.
    www.photoguerra.net

Quote Originally Posted by Rui Guerra View Post
    Indeed! I also use a Nikon mount here and one of the thing that never worked well is the autofocus thing. Although not a need for everyday shooting, there are defenetly time when a good autofocus will be a lifesaver. I've never understood why RED announces this mount as autofocus one since it just misses focus every time. The strange thing is that camera knows when the focus is on spot (one can see that with the focus confirmation bar, pie or circle so if the camera know when it's in focus why doesn't the lenses focus be accurate in autofocus mode? This happens with all the Nikon AF-S lens that I have tested.

All this non-working autofocus think makes rack focus useless, for example. This is my second Nikon mount (the first one got an aperture control problem and was replaced under warranty) and both have the same problem.

I wonder:

1 - The other Nikon mount owners here are able to use the autofocus function with accurate results? If so, with which lenses?
    2 - The Canon mount owners have a reliable and useful autofocus functionality?

Thanks for the feedback!

I wish I could answer those questions. But it would be nice to have that needed NIKON lens support.

Today I was with two friends who have RED Epic-W (I have the Weapon MG) and we did several tests swapping between the cameras the nikon and canon mounts and testing with 3 different lens:

Nikkor AF-S 105mm f2.8 Micro
    Canon L 16-35 IS (first generation)
    Sigma 18-35 f1.8 Art

We were outdoors, in a garden, with lots of sun and hight contrasty subjects.

Conclusion: Unable to get accurate AF no matter which camera, mount or lens! So far my only possible conclusion is that AF is useless no matter which mount or camera you have.

Can anyone correct this? In spite of our own tests, it will be great to hear from other Reduser's members and see if anyone can make some tests and confirm that his AF is also not accurate.
    Rui Guerra - PHOTOGUERRA Underwater Productions, Lda.
    www.photoguerra.net