Thread: 8K Test Charts

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11
  1. #1 8K Test Charts 
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    413
    I could not find any 'open source' 8K test charts, so I made one with input (and permission if freely distributed) from Erlend Ronnekleiv
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/l1csuxb2jd...chart.tif?dl=0
    It is BIG so some programs like Preview may cough up blood ;)
    But if printed 1:1 on commercial printer should be very useful
    Reply With Quote  
     

  2. #2  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Hollywood, USA
    Posts
    6,347
    What printer can print this out at full resolution?

    The ISO 12233 chart is pretty widespread, and that's what I see used by most lens rental firms in LA for alignment.

    http://www.graphics.cornell.edu/~wes...3-reschart.pdf
    marc wielage, csi colorist/post consultant daVinci Resolve Certified Trainer
    Reply With Quote  
     

  3. #3  
    Senior Member Steve Sherrick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    7,085
    I'm about to go through some lens tests myself and I have been researching charts. I don't have the budget for the really high end which are several hundred to well over a thousand dollars. Imatest has an iso12233 chart that has been updated to iso12233:2014 from 12233:2000. The 16x9 version is about $230 and can be used with their software which is around $300. There's also the good old Century Optics one from Film Tools that goes for about $55 but I'm guessing that with 8k you're going to want to find a chart that can test that kind of resolution as well as aliasing, chromatic aberration, color, etc. And that's where the price goes up. I know Phil Holland is usually all over this stuff so I'll be curios to hear his thoughts about what's available that he's been using to do all of the testing he's been involved in.
    Steve Sherrick
    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #4  
    Senior Member Curtis boggs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Posts
    624
    http://m.ebay.com/itm/271772729954?_mwBanner=1

    this is what i've been using. They sent to work well.

    Curtis
    ---------------------------
    Curtis Boggs
    www.cboggs.com

    Cinematographer-DP-Colorist
    Epic-W 8k - G&E
    Sigma Cinema zoom set
    Leica-R Cine mod prime set
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #5  
    Senior Member Steve Sherrick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    7,085
    I decided to just go ahead and have a printing company I use (they specialize in high end photography so they get this stuff) print out the ISO 12233 chart for me. They said 30" was about the max they could print it and still maintain the specs. So should be a decent size for the types of tests I'm doing which won't be overly scientific, mostly just allowing me to see any obvious problems with lens/camera combos. Cost to have it printed and mounted to gatorboard was $140 and they can turn it around for me for this weekend's testing. Getting commercial charts shipped in was going to be very costly with the quick turnaround.

    At some point, I'll go all out and buy one of the high end charts that will provide me a whole lot more data, but at this time just couldn't justify the cost.
    Steve Sherrick
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #6  
    Senior Member Steve Sherrick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    7,085
    Quote Originally Posted by Curtis boggs View Post
    http://m.ebay.com/itm/271772729954?_mwBanner=1

    this is what i've been using. They sent to work well.

    Curtis

    I saw that on eBay and was intrigued. But not knowing anything about them and not sure if I could get in time, I decided not to try it. How would you say the quality compares to other charts? It's a bit on the small side and I wonder about the color quality.
    Steve Sherrick
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #7  
    Senior Member Curtis boggs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Posts
    624
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Sherrick View Post
    I saw that on eBay and was intrigued. But not knowing anything about them and not sure if I could get in time, I decided not to try it. How would you say the quality compares to other charts? It's a bit on the small side and I wonder about the color quality.
    Steve,

    I was actually surprised at the quality.
    Good quality printing and has a non-glare waterproof coating.

    I don't own any of the high dollar charts so i can't speak to how
    they compare. However i can say they have been a huge help
    in comparing lenses and setting back focus.

    For the price it's worth it to see.

    Curtis
    ---------------------------
    Curtis Boggs
    www.cboggs.com

    Cinematographer-DP-Colorist
    Epic-W 8k - G&E
    Sigma Cinema zoom set
    Leica-R Cine mod prime set
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #8  
    RED TEAM Stacey Spears's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Sammamish, WA
    Posts
    3,129
    I am working with DSC Labs to design and build a new 8K test chart. I want to do a roll-up style chart since it will be big. (4'x8' in size) I want a zone plate in the middle and wedges on the sides and top/bottom.

    I recently worked with them on a new grayscale / color test chart.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #9  
    Senior Member Steve Sherrick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    7,085
    Quote Originally Posted by Curtis boggs View Post
    Steve,

    I was actually surprised at the quality.
    Good quality printing and has a non-glare waterproof coating.

    I don't own any of the high dollar charts so i can't speak to how
    they compare. However i can say they have been a huge help
    in comparing lenses and setting back focus.

    For the price it's worth it to see.

    Curtis
    Thanks! I'll check it out.
    Steve Sherrick
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #10  
    Senior Member Steve Sherrick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    7,085
    Quote Originally Posted by Stacey Spears View Post
    I am working with DSC Labs to design and build a new 8K test chart. I want to do a roll-up style chart since it will be big. (4'x8' in size) I want a zone plate in the middle and wedges on the sides and top/bottom.

    I recently worked with them on a new grayscale / color test chart.
    Wow, very cool Stacey! I'm guessing a chart of that size will cost a bundle though right? Which for a rental house or testing facility makes sense, but guessing will be out of my price range. But I love their stuff.
    Steve Sherrick
    Reply With Quote  
     

Tags for this Thread

View Tag Cloud

Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts