Thread: Attaching DSMCS2 in camera ProRes Proxies to R3D in Premiere

Reply to Thread
  1. #1 Attaching DSMCS2 in camera ProRes Proxies to R3D in Premiere 
    I'm researching potential workflows for an upcoming job and was curious to see what people recommend and have success with regarding Proxies in Adobe Premiere.

This will be my first editorial job with DSMC2 Helium 8K and Im not entirely sure that Premiere will attach the camera generated ProRes files to the R3D the way I'm expecting.

I figured that we could record both RAW and ProRes simultaneously in camera to avoid transcode time in Post. But when premiere generates proxies itself through the ingest feature it appears that it generates a 1 to 1 proxy clip for each .R3D within the folder. So if a longer shot is broken up into lets say 3 x R3D files because of the 4GB limit, then premiere would make 3 proxy files to match that.

Not sure how the "attach proxy" in Premiere will behave since 1 x ProRes file created in camera could potentially contain the equivalent of 1 shot that contains 3 x R3D's in its particular folder.

I hope this makes sense...... Does anyone have any tips or tricks or have run this or a similar workflow?

Thanks!!

I'm also having an issue. Gave it a test run and then issue wasn't having multiple R3D files vs ProRes files (if you import via Media Manager, this is a non-issue). My issue was that my Epic-W splits the Proxy file (ProRes and DNxHD) in to 2 files (or more depending on 4GB file size limit), one for video and one for audio. Premiere requires there to be an equal number of audio channels in the proxy as are in the primary clip. In this scenario, all of my proxies have 0 audio channels.

Im pretty sure I seen a program mentioned here somewhere that just combine the camera generated proress files to one instead of splitted.
    Epic #06696
    Epic-W #004069

Chris McKechnie
    Director of Photography
    Email - redepicguy@gmail.com
    Reel - https://vimeo.com/314919326

Hey all

Looks like Phil's ClipJoin tool is no longer available.

Anyone figured out any other way to join spanned ProRes in-camera files on Windows? Thought I was saving myself time by shooting proxies alongside the R3Ds but since they're all split across files, it's pretty useless unless I can rejoin them!

Thanks
    Tom
    Anglo-American DP, shooting docs and branded content in LA.

tomdowler.com
    longhaulfilms.com
    lettinggoofadele.com
    restartingthemotorcity.com

On the latest beta firmwares you can format in UDF which does not break the quicktimes. Works great
    JAKE WILGANOWSKI
    Director of Photography / Filmmaker
    CINE-AUTOMATIC.COM

Quote Originally Posted by Jake Wilganowski View Post
    On the latest beta firmwares you can format in UDF which does not break the quicktimes. Works great
    awesome to know. not going to use the beta after some of the horror stories I've heard though! Any other post options to join the spanned clips?
    Anglo-American DP, shooting docs and branded content in LA.

tomdowler.com
    longhaulfilms.com
    lettinggoofadele.com
    restartingthemotorcity.com