Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: Scarlet-W audio worse than Scarlet-X?

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Scarlet-W audio worse than Scarlet-X? 
    I used to record audio with a Sennheiser 416 + MixPre-D + Wooden Camera A-box into the Scarlet-X. It sounded great, clean, no issues.

I'm now trying the Sennheiser 416 + MixPre-D + Wooden Camera A-box for DSMC2 into the Scarlet-W and the audio is barely usable. The audio is not nearly as clean as it was with the Scarlet-X. I tried to remove the MixPre-D from the equation. Same issue. I replaced the microphone. Same issue. I'm recording into a Zoom until I can figure this out.

Has anyone else noticed the sound being significantly worse with the Scarlet-W? Have you found an affordable solution to get decent in-camera audio?
    Last edited by Karim Ayari; 01-16-2017 at 11:22 AM.

2.   This is the last RED TEAM post in this thread.   #2  
    Quote Originally Posted by Karim Ayari View Post
    I used to record audio with a Sennheiser 416 + MixPre-D + Wooden Camera A-box into the Scarlet-X. It sounded great, clean, no issues.

I'm not trying the Sennheiser 416 + MixPre-D + Wooden Camera A-box for DSMC2 into the Scarlet-W and the audio is barely usable. The audio is not nearly as clean as it was with the Scarlet-X. I tried to remove the MixPre-D from the equation. Same issue. I replaced the microphone. Same issue. I'm recording into a Zoom until I can figure this out.

Has anyone else noticed the sound being significantly worse with the Scarlet-W? Have you found an affordable solution to get decent in-camera audio?
    Hi Karim,
    I’m sorry to see that you’re having audio issues with your SCARLET-W.

The Technical Support team at RED would like to help you resolve this issue. Please submit a Technical Support request on support.red.com and attach the log file from this camera. We will forward the log file information to our Engineers for further analysis.

Hi,
    Was there any resolution to this?

I just bought a scarlet-w and trying to work out some general audio recording.

It seems the a-box doesn't split channels like in the old one, and it can't power the mic either. So I guess just a top DSLR mic is the only option?

Thanks,
    Andrew

+1. I'd like to know too.

We can confirm this about the Epic-W, as well. We sent Red test files of the audio without anything plugged in and the noise floor was MUCH higher than our old Epic before the upgrade. The response was not great...basically telling us there is nothing they can do and we should use external audio.

Very frustrating to pay so much to upgrade both of our Epics only to receive worse audio.
    Owner/Editor
    Drawbridge Media, Inc.
    www.drawbridge.tv
    ---
    Drawbridge does a mix of corporate video production, spots,
    live events and post-production. We also edit shows for Discovery Networks/TLC.

I have spent 6 hours testing every firmware, cables, a-box, LS SRC etc. trying and get clean audio on channel one and two. I have concluded that it is impossible to get clean audio with the I/O expander. The camera is mixing channel one and two together for you (one 0db the other about -40 and vice versa). So if you have a shotgun on channel two and wireless on channel one, you will have both mixing into each other even when you have the menu sliders for R/L completely separated. I have a ticket submitted to figure out why you cant get clean audio on channel 1 & 2 without the camera premixing it for me. You can get away from the noise floor if you get your levels up where they should be. The mixing of the two channels is the crazy part. Stereo audio is always two clean channels.

Do you have bleeding? As it's nearly impossible to have unbalanced stereo inputs with clean audio between ch1 and ch2 without some contamination.

Audio on the DSMC2 with the base I/O is worse than on the DSMC1 front input.

By the way, we are getting the revised OMOD XLR in the next couple of weeks and we hope this helps the situation on our main Epic-W. I will update when we get it and test.

Very disappointed, so far, with how Red is handling this. I hope they can come up with an improvement somehow...and without us sending our cameras back in. For them to tell us to just use external audio isn't really making me feel great after spending $40k to upgrade our cameras.
    Owner/Editor
    Drawbridge Media, Inc.
    www.drawbridge.tv
    ---
    Drawbridge does a mix of corporate video production, spots,
    live events and post-production. We also edit shows for Discovery Networks/TLC.

+1 they should contact Sonosax...

i tried and tried to get clean audio out of my raven too, even gave it to a very big sound mixer to try everything, no resolution.
    so now i just say my camera doesnt do audio, which is the absolute safest method.

contemplating on a mic that records???