Thread: Favorite Zeiss classic (zf.2 etc) SLR lenses for cinematography?

Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Marcus Friedlander View Post
    The jump between 25 and 15 is a pretty big one. You may need the 21 as a between focal length.
    And the jump between 21 and 35 is too big. You're going to need both eventually for a nicely spaced set.

I own the whole ZF Classic set. Very good for single operation. Bit of CA fully open on some of them...35/1.4.
    You can get them cheap on E bay now since improved Milvus was released.
    Milvus 85/1.4 and 18/2.8 are great
    ZF are great choice to Leicas Summicron or Contax. Summicron have more “soul” but you get latest coating with Milvus.

Thanks everyone. So for my S35 sensor, I may pick up the EF-Mount Milvus 15, 21, 25 (new 1.4), 35 (new 1.4), 50, 85. Sound good? I may add a 100 macro down the road when needed, and I think 135 is longer than I am likely to shoot with except in rare conditions.

I see the Nikon's are popular due to the physical aperture ring (though I don't like the reverse focus, and often prefer to not shoot with a follow focus attached due to the nature of my work - though I have one for certain shoots). All in all, may I regret going EF mount down the road with electronic aputure for such an expensive (to me) lens set? Currently, EF makes the most sense for my setup and it seems the mount is growing in popularity for many cameras.

Much thanks for the assistance.

(I should also add that I am not (currently) shooting narrative or on set, rather corporate and social justice branding work)

Thanks for all the useful input!!

The Petroff universal follow focus is reversable for Nikon lenses, extremely well built and a bargain, for sure.

Does anyone know why the Milvus lenses weigh SO much more than the classic ZE Distagon?

Thoughts on mixing/matching Milvus with classic Distagon? Really like my Milvus, but they are very heavy, so for more run'n'gun type work a couple lighter weight classics might be good. I love the new 25mm f/1.4, but it's huge and 2.6lbs, vs. 1lb and small for the classic 28mm Distagon f/2.