Thread: Avid workflow with red camera

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 40
  1. #1 Avid workflow with red camera 
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    1
    Hello all

    I am currently working in a post production facility. We are working primarily on commercials. I am trying to get a solid answer regarding what hardware/software I need to use the red camera footage on an Avid to edit for Broadcast. Can anyone tell me the best way to approach our next project shot on the red camera 1 in regards to software/hardware/processes etc...thanks

    Lauren
    Lauren Beck
    Producer
    Moondog Edit
    216 E 45th Street, 13th Floor
    NYC, NY 10017

    212.983.3348
    917.499.4491
    Reply With Quote  
     

  2. #2  
    Senior Member Vigen Vartanov's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Tbilisi , Georgia
    Posts
    1,239
    My idea is , Get 1 MacPro , minimum configuration , Then work with footage with proxys . When you will have ready timeline just render out it from REDCINE + Crimson . Thant you can get 10 Bit 2K ,HD DPX files , and go to AVID . And finish youre project in avid. For commercials you will need 10-15 minuts of good footage . Just with help of proxy files you can select good and bad footage.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  3. #3  
    Senior Member Rainer Fritz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Vienna
    Posts
    1,155
    Look a little bit through the AVID threads in the 4k workflow section....
    A Media Composer on a MAC Pro is a good start....

    and visit this site:
    http://www.studiodaily.com/studiomon...inup/9261.html

    regards
    rainer
    http://www.k-effects.com
    Postproduction - Workflow Service - VFX - Animation
    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by Biba View Post
    My idea is , Get 1 MacPro , minimum configuration , Then work with footage with proxys . When you will have ready timeline just render out it from REDCINE + Crimson . Thant you can get 10 Bit 2K ,HD DPX files , and go to AVID . And finish youre project in avid. For commercials you will need 10-15 minuts of good footage . Just with help of proxy files you can select good and bad footage.
    That doen't make any sense. I think the OP wants to offline in Avid.

    For now the workflow is all about creating an ALE and quicktimes.
    Create the quicktimes in Redcine, REDline/Redalert or compressor. Set the codec to an Avid one for fast import later on. (DNxHD 36 is great for offline purposes but can only be done in Compressor at the moment, I think)
    Create the ALE with the Redline automator actions or use Metacheater from www.staticpictures.com/metacheater

    Import the ALE into Avid and then batch import the quicktimes from that ALE. Edit away.

    After you have an offline cut you can either load an EDL in Scratch for native r3d file conform or export dpx in Redcine/Redline for Smoke, Avid DS or other finishing tools.

    It's very elegant when you know how to do it.
    Soon the workflow will be better when more software companies get access to the SDK.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by rebusfilm View Post
    After you have an offline cut you can either load an EDL in Scratch for native r3d file conform or export dpx in Redcine/Redline for Smoke, Avid DS or other finishing tools.

    It's very elegant when you know how to do it.
    Soon the workflow will be better when more software companies get access to the SDK.
    Sure, it's very elegant if you don't mind rendering out the entire contents of every .R3D file from your shoot as DPX sequences (and Scratch in not an option for many of us).

    Right now I would like to know if someone has come up with a simple workflow for generating an XML pull list for Redcine from an Avid offline. For many reasons, we're still running MC 2.8, and the easiest workflow I've seen is to output a decomposed OMF2 to FCP (which requires Automatic Duck). Then output an XML to Crimson. And, finally generate an XML out of Crimson for Redcine. BTW, I haven't tested this myself, so I'm not 100% sure it will work.

    Please, someone tell me there's an easier way (and don't tell me to upgrade to MC 3.0, because it's just not possible right now).

    Thanks,
    Paul
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #6  
    Senior Member MichaelP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    2,486
    The pull list will be out in a couple weeks - (mid-July). We are working out the final whitepaper and is going under review and final QA testing. This will have the pull list from Avid back to RedCine for all shots used. Shortly we will update those to have cuts + handles with optimization.

    Michael
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelP View Post
    The pull list will be out in a couple weeks - (mid-July). We are working out the final whitepaper and is going under review and final QA testing. This will have the pull list from Avid back to RedCine for all shots used. Shortly we will update those to have cuts + handles with optimization.

    Michael
    Will this workflow require MC 3.0? If yes, we will probably upgrade one of our MC Soft copies to 3.0 to act as a conduit to generate the XML. All of our Avids would require new Intel Macs to go to 3.0, and we can't afford to do that this year.

    Also, do you know if the workflow I described earlier (Avid to FCP to Crimson to Redcine) has been tested? And if it does work, I'm assuming there's no need to relink media in FCP, since we're just moving metadata. Is that correct?

    Thanks,
    Paul
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #8  
    you don't need intel macs for 3.0
    we beta tested V3.0 on our dual2.5ghz G5's and they performed beautifully.
    the only reason you need an intel mac is for the new Avid HW they announced because of its meridien style bus-card architecture.
    otherwise upgrade away and enjoy the new stuff.
    there is a random bug right now with Adrenaline boxes and leopard but we haven't seemed to find it. it crops up during digitizing but you can just restart the box/software and be fine apparently.
    Avid is aware of it and working to fix it.
    Jason Diamond
    The Diamond Bros.
    @jasondiamond

    2 Dragon's avail and ready to fly.

    Rocket-X's

    Leica-R Duclos Cinemod 19,24,28,35,50,60,80,90,100,135,180
    Avail NYC and anywhere trains, planes and automobiles go.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by jedi666 View Post
    you don't need intel macs for 3.0
    we beta tested V3.0 on our dual2.5ghz G5's and they performed beautifully.
    the only reason you need an intel mac is for the new Avid HW they announced because of its meridien style bus-card architecture.
    otherwise upgrade away and enjoy the new stuff.
    there is a random bug right now with Adrenaline boxes and leopard but we haven't seemed to find it. it crops up during digitizing but you can just restart the box/software and be fine apparently.
    Avid is aware of it and working to fix it.
    Thanks! That's very interesting, because here's exactly what it says on Avid's website:

    Minimum system requirements for Media Composer Software - Mac
    Processors:

    * Intel dual, dual core 2.66 GHz Xeon
    * Intel Core 2 Duo 2.33 GHz (laptops)

    Unfortunately, I didn't carefully read the fine print which states that this is the recommended, Avid-qualified platform. But other non-Avid-qualified platforms could work fine (although, Avid will NOT provide support for non-qualified platforms, whatever THAT means).

    Unfortunately, we are still not ready to purchase 14 software upgrades at this time. And I would like to wait until the Adrenaline/Mac issue is fully resolved . But it is nice to know that we can get some more life out of our 18-month-old G5s.

    -Paul
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #10  
    Senior Member MichaelP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    2,486
    The XML export is from Avid FilmScribe which can open bins from Meridian, and Adrenaline versions 1.x through latest release of v3. As of now, the XML to ALE are for HD workflows unless working at 25fps which is good for PAL and HD. 24fps in a NTSC based world needs to be HD for now. We will work on XML to ALE for NTSC which needs to do some timecode massaging and column reassignment.

    Michael
    Reply With Quote  
     

Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts