Thread: ARRI Christmas LUT

Reply to Thread
Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 71314151617
    I just got this update from Truecolor. They’ve improved their RED to Alexa LUT. I think it’s better than ever.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=w-3gE-oCkHI

https://truecolor.us/products/red-to...follow=1#frame

How does the true color lut compares to resolve ofx transform?

If you use the Truecolor RED IPP2 to ARRI Wide Tranform it basically makes RED footage look more like ARRI Logc which you can then correct like ARRI footage including using the ARRI Rec 709 LUT or Resolve Rec 709 Transform. This is especially great for colorists who are used to correcting Arri footage since the footage will behave in a similar way they're used to. If you simply use the resolve transform without the Truecolor LUT to make it into ARRI LOGC it still has the color and contrast biases of RED's color science.

I like the Truecolor Transform because it corrects, in my opinion, the yellowish skintones and overall green bias my Helium footage always seems to have in its natural RED IPP2 colorspace. It also increases color contrast while simultaneously rolling off color saturation which gives it, at least to my eyes, a more film like look. Truecolor even has a transform LUT that you can use IPP2 Highlight and Contrast rolloffs with but has more ARRI like color which, in my opinion, is a hybrid best of both worlds. In order to use this particular workflow, you have to load this particular LUT in Redcine X before you bring it into Resolve. Once you have saved the RMD in Redcine X you then have to click Version 3 color space in resolve and be sure to check 'Use Creative LUT' if you want to use RED IPP2 contrast and highlight rolloff with the ARRI like color transform.

Let's be clear this does NOT in anyway turn your RED camera, for better or worse, into an Alexa. But for people who like the way Arri deals with skintones, contrast, and color this gets RED footage looking closer to it. Overall, its just another tool in your arsenal to showcase the amazing versatility of RED footage.

Thanks for the detailed explanation. Was just curious since I use sometimes the ofx transform.
    I think I'll get this LUT for the next job and see how it goes.
    BTW could you share some examples that you have and like? I tried once the website upload thing but the result was so low res and highly compressed to the point I couldn't see the benefits.
    Anyway thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by Fabricio Morato View Post
    How does the true color lut compares to resolve ofx transform?
    Transforming from one color space to another color space isn't doing anything to colors already recorded and processed by the camera. It's just changing how that data is interpreted. Transforming REDWideGamutRGB to ARRI Wide Gamut isn't going to give you Alexa colors. It's going to give you RED colors, processed to colors that are possible in the ARRI color space.

That's all a color space is: a collection of possible colors in a palette, but not the exact recipe of colors used. The TrueColor LUT is attempting to be that recipe.

Having footage from both RED Epic-W and Alexa shot in the exact same conditions, I can confirm you don't end up with the same colors with just an OFX transform.