Thread: Epic-W and HDRX

Reply to Thread
  1. #1 Epic-W and HDRX 
    Just because i can i was playing around with HDRX which is pretty impressive. I note though that at 8K then the max frame rate would be around 19fps, so that would be another differentiator with weapon. I presume this is simply camera data rate issue and recording two R3D streams. I couldn't see a way to get that frame rate up to 25, even with reducing compression which is a shame. Or am i wrong?

I was wondering whether there was a possibility of achieving 25fps by recording the x track more compressed than the a track, to balance the data rate overall yet still gain some benefit of highlight extension. Just an idea.

Of course 6K can achieve 25fps, so it is useable.

Also stills work with it as well and that's pretty cool.

cheers
    Paul

Senior Member Christoffer Glans's Avatar
    This is the main reason (outside of finance) I'm not upgrading to Epic-W (Or side-jumping). No high frame rates at full s35mm and no working HDRx. With my regular MG I can shoot up to 50 fps 5K with HDRx. Knowing how to handle HDRx is one of the most understated features of Red. Absolutely essential tool for some shoots. Worth considering if you own a regular Weapon and thinking about getting the Epic-X.
    "Using any digital cinema camera today is like sending your 35mm rolls to a standard lab. -Using a Red is like owning a dark room."
    Red Weapon 6K #00600

I can see the sense in that, Weapon would make a better upgrade for you.

However 6K we can do HDRx okay, and in fact i think even at 50. So your 5K is wider than 6K on helium, but it's not miles apart.

But you're right that HDRx is very understated, i would love to see more about this. And whether there is a possible way to squeeze a lower rate X track in with a normal A track as a method of bring that to the EW at 8K

cheers
    Paul

So Epic-W can take HDRX at 8K but only tops out at 19 frames/second? Is this for the A track or X track? I'm hoping to get stills out of the X track and not to conjoin the dynamic range in a motion setting so I could live with X track at 19 but wanted to know for sure before buying. Thanks.

HDRx as implemented does *half* the max frame rate of your camera at a given resolution. You can’t set the two streams independently (though that would be kinda cool from a stills perspective.)In other words, you need 48+ frames to get HDRx at speed.