Thread: Communicating with Marketing Types

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Communicating with Marketing Types 
    I need the communities help with a presentation I have to give in a few weeks.

BACKGROUND:

I run the video production department of a large corporation. As you would expect, we shoot the entire gamut of project types from talking heads to high end campaigns. Recently, we purchased a RED Weapon and I have been using it to shoot still and video campaigns concurrently. For these campaigns I shoot video takes at traditional settings, then shoot takes for stills (reduce the fps and compression ratio but increase the shutter speed to 1/400). Here's the issue, a lot of my jobs involve marketing managers for the various divisions. These folks know nothing about photography or video production. They have no clue the cost or technical requirements. To make matters worse, they all need high end video and still assets but have budgets that barely cover one medium let alone both. Of course I also shoot straight up video shows at 5.5 or 6K that are to be edit in 1080p. So here is the problem...I've started to get a huge amount of uproar from this crowd. I've tried in the past to educate each of them individually with very little success. I've been getting questions like:

Problem 1:

Them: I need a still image pulled from the video you made for us for a full page magazine ad. Me: Sure, but it's not going to look that great printed in an ad...especially at that size. Them: Why, didn't you shoot the project at 6K? Me: Well, yes, but it's not going to be a sharp image because of a thing called motion blur. The resolution isn't really the issue here, it's the movement of the talent, vehicle, etc., etc. Them: I don't understand, you said this was 6K.

Problem 2:

Me: We need to increase the lighting and crew budget by "X" percentage if you want to shoot stills and video concurrently. Them: Why, you said the camera can shoot 8K. Me: Well we need more light in order to freeze the action by increasing the shutter speed. Them: I don't get it. Why are you trying to waste my money. Why don't you just shoot 6K? Me: What?

I know this is comical to most of you but it's what I deal with daily and these are real problems. A couple of weeks ago, I actually had a very experienced gaffer complain to my client that the reason we needed all this light was because we where needlessly shooting 8K. In this gaffers opinion it was a waste of time and money. (This was for one of the still and video campaigns I do where I'm shooting at a higher shutter speed.) As you can imagine, his comment has created a huge uproar. (It blew my mind that a thirty year plus gaffer doesn't know that resolution and exposure are completely independent of one another.)

Ok, I think you guys understand the problem and what I'm up against. I need to create a presentation for marketing types who have no understanding of video and photography that explains the following:

Resolution - why we shoot at a higher resolution than 1080. Topics: down sampling, cropping, CU from WS, etc.
    Motion Blur - what it is, why we would want to get rid of it in a still image. Topics: Still shutter speed verse motion shutter speed to freeze action. Exposure triangle (I don't want to get into this but how else can I explain what's going on).
    Cost - shooting a video and still campaign concurrently verse a dual campaign. The pros and cons. Topics: The pros and cons of each. Strobes verse hot lights. etc.

These are the big bucket areas I can think of off hand. I don't have a lot of time to but this together and I don't think this group will respond well to a lot of technical info. I need visuals...charts, diagrams, etc, etc. If anyone has any assets that I could use that might help or advise on a best approach, I'd be most appreciative.

Thanks,
    Josh N.

Common misconceptions would be a good bullet I think. It would clump a lot of the things you mentioned without needed to explain in too much depth.

Someone might suggest he peruse the RED videos for what he needs.

Or better yet, get a Raven for motion and use the Weapon on the same shoot set up for stills.

I'm a Fortune 1 Billion company and if I can afford a Weapon and a Raven, surely his Fortune 500 or whatever can do the same.
    Last edited by Elsie N; 09-07-2017 at 04:28 AM.
    One camera is a shoot...but four (or more'-) Hydrogens is a prohhhh-duction... Elsie the Wraith

Just buy an A7 as well make all your problems go away.
    ----------------------------------------------------------

2018 Reel

Website
    Instagram

first things first...you need a new gaffer.
    www.digitalfx.tv

Twitter
    Instagram

RED One #83
    RED CF Monstro 8K VV
    RED CF Weapon 8K S35 Helium
    RED CF Weapon 8K S35 Helium

I have these conversations every week. They get easier. Just remember that your clients/colleagues aren't dumb, just less informed than you.

I've learned that humility on my part, and empathy for what they are going through on their part, are invaluable partners in crime on this journey.

Just remember also to stay cool - your belief in your self and what you're doing will often win them over even more than your gear.

Trust me.

Good luck!
    Nick Morrison
    Founder, Director & Lead Creative
    // SMALL GIANT //
    smallgiant.tv

I agree with Nick, also this type of stuff is my money business.

How I normally say it is something like this: "you have a 1080p prores file ready right after the presentation that you can put up on the website [i record onto a atomos shogun with the sound coming from the mixer board], I also have a raw file for stills at 1/120 of a second ... thats twice as fast shutter speed as the 1080p [i use hdx raw and play with the blacks before/after frame]. For the raw stills, I can probably pick out around 20 shots where the speaker isn't moving around too fast, is looking in the right direction and doesn't have things like his mouth open. If you need candid "off camera" shots, I recommend we have a photographer that is taking shots before/during/after the event to get those type of personal money images you can put onto social networks"

[edit note ... i don't say what's in the "[ ... ]" ]

[edit 2, I think the gapher is right btw, you were wrong ... ]
    Last edited by PatrickFaith; 09-10-2017 at 10:25 AM.

Another thing you could do, aside from asking them if they think this will be used for stills purposes as well down the line prior to the shoot, is to film everything with HDR at a setting of 2 or 3. I think it's the X track that ends up being the less-exposed version, but you also get clean motion on that as far as I can tell. I know this will burn through media like crazy, but is an alternate way to CYA when the marketing person says, "No we won't need stills," then comes back a couple weeks later with a "plan the team came up with that needs stills"

And yes, you need a new gaffer. I've only been doing my own video production business for the past 7 years, but have had to cut my ties with some crew members already for similar reasons (most of the time someone will whine constantly about what we don't have but "should have" )... No one should complain in front of the client and make you look bad like that.

Make a good contract about what you deliver and make sure you agree and sign it both, plenty of examples on the world wide web.

As a matter of interest, did you have to push hard for the Weapon in the first place? Are these same people, who are giving you grief, as the ones you had to convince in the first place to buy the gear?