Thread: Controlling focus Motor with Red software

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Controlling focus Motor with Red software 
    Hello
    I'm not sure that this the right place for this question, but here it goes. In short, I am investigating an autofocus solution for PL mounted lenses. Having done some initial investigations on the web, it seems that the autofocus system is calculated in the camera that drives the Canon AE lenses. So I wondered how could that data be extracted to drive an external focus motor. I quickly read the SDK dev Doc and saw that autofocus metadata was part of the SDK exchange. So naively , I wondered if this data could drive a motor. I presume that only Red sets up lenses for autofocus as I cannot see in the menus any "personal lens setup" menus. I cannot believe I am the first to think of this but I cannot find a thread for this one on the forum.
    Any thoughts would be most welcome

The autofocus in camera using Nikon or canon lenses is too slow for me. I can't imagine PL lenses benefiting much.

VFX, Cinematographer, Photographer
    10 frame handles
    Vimeo
    Instagram

Maybe for one shot AF?

But it would be of limited use I think and with the great focus aid tools it's usually easier/faster to just focus by hand/FF with PL lenses...
    TOMMASO ALVISI | tommasoalvisi.com
    Weapon 6K Carbon Fiber #1605 aka qp
    instagram | twitter

I am finding myself increasingly doing inserts on gimbals, steadicam etc or just those crazy shots that the director comes up with on the set. They are often without an assistant that knows how to pull focus properly. I am finding that in between an inexperienced focus puller and autofocus and I am tending towards big depth of field and autofocus. Sadly, times are tough.

Ive started looking into this too after seeing the RT Motion Latitude system, I thought "how hard can it be to program a potentiometer with an arduino or something and control the focus over wifi with DSMC2".... then I read this thread: http://www.reduser.net/forum/showthr...s-Motor-Thread

Seems crazy complicated. Though Im sure it's at least partially out of date coming from 2014 but it's a good place to start. Keep us updated.

Thank you for referencing the thread. The more I think about it, the harder it is. The idea would involve Red creating a new menu for "virtual" lenses and then laboriously put in the data. That said, once the metadata is in the camera and checked it could be shared with others, creating a library of lenses metadata. Once Red has done this, it seems that there is a standard lens control language which RT Motion is going to make use of, on top of its proprietary language. But, I cannot see anyone at Red getting interested in a project like this. Also, I have no idea how to lobby Red. I only have a old epic MX that I love .

Have you seen Preston Cinema Systems Light Ranger? It is an Overlay Focus assist with an autofocus option, works on PL Lenses and works with most cameras.

As for Redlink Development It is not complicated, Arduino, Pot, and 150 Lines of C can easily work for moving focus on Canon/Nikon. It will not be 'cinema tough' though.
    -tink3r
    SMPTE, IEEE, NSL, IATSE 600
    Hardware/Software Developer
    www.ultimote.com ( Hardware Controller for Array and Multiple Camera Control of ARRI / RED / SONY F65 / PHANTOM / VARICAM)

Alex
    From what I can see from your website and your very nice looking remote system, that you know what you are talking about. My coding finished after a few days of Basic when I was at school (about 40 years ago). But in your idea, how does the arduino control a hi precision motor? Something like this ..
    http://www.instructables.com/id/Ardu...otor-Controll/

Yes, Arduino Motor Shield uses L298 on the 'Arduino Version', there are many other shields too for Quadcopters, RC Cars, etc...

Two Ways to go here, Arduino is just an atmel microcontroller which is used in many products throughout a lot of industries. With a Pot, arduino, and Serial connection you could adjust focus settings through the smart mount and RDC Network API. RTMotion has basic functional control of WB, ISO, Shutter through this connector. Exact same principle. Except with Focus/Iris Commands instead. This is only for Canon/Nikon Smart Mounts.

To Control a PL Lens is rather basic, there are hundreds of Arduino / Motor Shield Guides and a few dozen kits available. Even Example Code built into the Arduino IDE. You would need to get the right pitch gear for the motor.

Unless its a learning experience for you I would invest in a existing Focus System, C-Motion also has a AutoFocus option when the CineTape is used.
    -tink3r
    SMPTE, IEEE, NSL, IATSE 600
    Hardware/Software Developer
    www.ultimote.com ( Hardware Controller for Array and Multiple Camera Control of ARRI / RED / SONY F65 / PHANTOM / VARICAM)

I have found this follow focus solution that is driven via a arduino
    https://www.motiondogs.com/content/10-console-settings
    My real goal is not to build a DIY wireless follow focus but to drive a lens motor via the RED from internal focus algorithm. But I have a sneaking suspicion that the system is not activated if an appropriate lens is not mounted.