Thread: Red scarlet MX losing the date and informations data

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Red scarlet MX losing the date and informations data 
    Hi everyone,

I just want to understand why my red scarlet loose date and informations data each time i change the battery or shut down the camera ?
    Thanks for your help
    Olivier

I've had it happen to both of my cameras.
    There is an internal battery that needs to be changed... by sending your camera back to RED.
    C.S.C. Associate Member
    If I don't own it I rent it...

Same happened to me about 3 years after I got mine. $676 repair cost if your warranty expired.

This has happen to at least half the RED DSMC camera owners I personally know (and that wasn't including *both* of Glen's -- so it's probably more like 60%). Off the top of my head, everyone I know that has *not* had it happen went through multiple upgrade stages (so they swapped their brains multiple times over a 4 year period...)

And I continue to say the same thing when these posts come up: it's a stupidly expensive fix for what amounts to a $1 dead clock battery that should've been user replaceable to begin with (and apparently it's still happening to DSMC2/Weapons as well.) Kinda lame.
    Last edited by Mike P.; 10-18-2016 at 11:21 AM.

I'm in this boat now but do not plan to get it fixed. Really a major fail on RED's part not to correct this most basic of user issues. The battery should be user replaceable.

Wow I just got a Scarlet MX and I'm sure this will happen to me down the road. $676 and camera out of commission for days to replace that?? No thanks...

Awesome camera and all, but no way should that be happening.

Sounds fine. You're lucky its only $676.

I have the same issue now after 2 upgrades from scarlet to epic mx to epic dragon. epic dragon upgrade was performed 30 months ago. is there any word from red about this and is it really hundreds of dollars to fix it? i can’t believe it.

Yeah mine decided to reset to party like it's 1999. Literally.
    SmithPixels.com
    Cinematographer, Steadicam Ninja, Editor

Scarlet-X #838 // Paladin Scarlet-X #02091 // Pepper
    "Have camera, will travel."

Quote Originally Posted by Fahnon Bennett View Post
    Looks like I have the issue, too. Any downside to leaving it other than metadata being wrong? Keeps all my settings (resolution, frame rate, ISO etc), so I'm not sure it's worth more than $600, shipping fees and camera downtime to fix this.
    Maybe only issue is timecode resetting when powering down/rebooting etc on the same shoot. Would have to jam again every time. (had that happen on a set I was assisting on once.) Other than that don't thing any problems. I actually have a soft key set on my camera to bring up the date/time display so if I remember at the start of the shoot I just bring up the menu set my time and then start my shoot.
    Samir Patel
    instagram.com/patelimages

samir-patel.com

--
    profile photo courtesy @kris_tamburello
    Stealth Weapon-MG and EPIC-W with some vintage Contax-Zeiss and Leica-R goodness and some Canon and Nikon modern glass just for good measure.