Thread: Epic-w crop factor

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Epic-w crop factor 
    Am I the only one who has a problem with the 2x crop factor at 5k on the epic w? I need 60fps for music videos but the 2x crop is a deal breaker what are other people thoughts on it?
    directorjrsaint.com
    red dragon (el wapo)
    cooke mini s4i
    lomo 35mm nas and 50mm round front

I hear you as I am stuck in 6K which is tough (until fcpx is supported) but the money saved on the upgrade could literally buy top notch fast glass, so I guess it is kind of double edged in that regard, but hey, you get to buy another lens ;)

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/con...C&A=details&Q=
    colorroomfilms.com
    Epic-W #000592
    Gemini 5K #010961

I have elaborated on this before the "D" day...:

http://www.reduser.net/forum/showthr...-consider-this
    You don't need eyes to see, You need a vision!
    www.petermajtan.com - www.derylgroup.com

Quote Originally Posted by francisco santos View Post
    Am I the only one who has a problem with the 2x crop factor at 5k on the epic w? I need 60fps for music videos but the 2x crop is a deal breaker what are other people thoughts on it?
    You don't have to step down to 5K if all you need is 60fps. Epic-W can do 6K up to 75fps and 6K WS up to 100fps.

6K is a 1.6x FF35 crop and only 1.11x smaller than S35.

What Aaron said. For many of us, the Epic-W is perfect. But for some, what they need is the frame rates of Weapon Helium. If you can't afford to step up to Weapon Helium, then your 6K Dragon will have to "suffice."
    Andy Roberts
    Nikon and Leica-R lenses (for sale)

You are not alone.. After receiving our Epic-W we shot on it for 1 day and turned around and submitted a return claim. Going to get back in line for the Scarlet-W... We shoot some offspeed and that crop is just too much. Shame really
    Create something worth watching.

I've shot almost everything on my Epic Dragon at 5K with a 4K framing, this is roughly equivalent to shooting 7K with a 6K protect on the Epic-W. If I need higher frame rates then I'll shoot 6K without the protect and still be in the same "useable" frame that I'm used to. VFX Plates and specialty projects are the only thing's I for see shooting at 8K.
    "All art is deception."

My DP reel...
    http://www.evingrantdp.com
    360 Cinematography and camera rigs...
    http://www.360dop.com

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon Forbes View Post
    You are not alone.. After receiving our Epic-W we shot on it for 1 day and turned around and submitted a return claim. Going to get back in line for the Scarlet-W... We shoot some offspeed and that crop is just too much. Shame really
    Brandon - with all due respects the shame is on you not doing your homework before buying $30K camera. This "aspect" of the Epic-W has been discussed in so many threads (including my own linked above) long before the D-Day (10/11). Not sure if you have a basis for a "return claim" - the Epic-W does everything exactly as advertised and specified. That's like buying a sports car with V12 and then complain that is uses too much fuel when you go slow - despite of the car manufacturer clearly publishing the car's specs (including the fuel consumption as slower speeds). Your best bet is to find someone with Scarlet-W who wants to swap with you...

Peter
    You don't need eyes to see, You need a vision!
    www.petermajtan.com - www.derylgroup.com

Quote Originally Posted by francisco santos
    Am I the only one who has a problem with the 2x crop factor at 5K on the epic w? I need 60fps for music videos but the 2x crop is a deal breaker what are other people thoughts on it?
    Is the deal breaker because you don't have a lens wide enough to cover the FOV you want at 5K? The Scarlet-W can shoot 4.5K at 60p. Does that provide a better FOV for you? I assume you have seen it, but if not, all of the fps vs. resolutions can be found in the DSMC Media Guide.

The Weapon Helium and CF Weapon Dragon handle the higher frame rates and you do pay for the extra processing power to do that.

Out of curiosity, are you shooting a base rate of 30 / 29.97 on music videos or 24 / 23.976?

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon Forbes
    We shoot some offspeed and that crop is just too much.
    If offspeed is common, you may really need the CF Weapon since it has the processing power to handle the higher frame rates. Fully understand if budget is the gating factor on the Weapon vs. EPIC-W / Scarlet-W.

If shooting HFR affect the DR resulting from the crop factor, so what to do to get the best of the sensor?