Thread: foolclip - free tool for PRORES spanning on FAT32 card workaround

Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikael Lubtchansky View Post
    version 1.3 released

new engine for self contained clips to work around an issue with long clips not working in Premiere, DaVinci

FCPX not affected but long references files may require the new 'remove audio' tracks option to work in those non AVFoundation apps
    I LOVE the idea of this tool Mikael! However it doesn't seem to be quite working for me. I'm creating the reference files in place and it creates them just fine, but when I go to attach them as proxies in Premiere, I'm getting "The importer reported a generic error." If the file that it's creating only consists of 1 ProRes .mov, then the foolclip generated works great. But if it has to join multiple spanned .mov files, that's when I get the error. Any idea what might be causing that?

Senior Member Mikael Lubtchansky's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven Heller View Post
    I LOVE the idea of this tool Mikael! However it doesn't seem to be quite working for me. I'm creating the reference files in place and it creates them just fine, but when I go to attach them as proxies in Premiere, I'm getting "The importer reported a generic error." If the file that it's creating only consists of 1 ProRes .mov, then the foolclip generated works great. But if it has to join multiple spanned .mov files, that's when I get the error. Any idea what might be causing that?
    Hello Steven. Premiere have issues with the references files. They mainly work in FCPX / QTX I think. The other 'self contained' option should work fine in Premiere tho.
    FWIW I may not do much updates to this app in the future as RED DSMC2 beta firmware 6.4 now allows to format your mags as UDF instead of FAT32 so it fixes the issue that my app was trying to work around...
    foolcat : HTML / PDF visual reports for OS X
    foolcontrol : RED camera control for OS X
    foolcontrol : RED camera control for iOS
    foolcontrol : RED camera control for Android
    foolcolor.net staying hungry, staying foolish facebook instagram

The work you put in, it's amazing...!!! Thanks Mikael!

Quote Originally Posted by Mikael Lubtchansky View Post
    Hello Steven. Premiere have issues with the references files. They mainly work in FCPX / QTX I think. The other 'self contained' option should work fine in Premiere tho.
    FWIW I may not do much updates to this app in the future as RED DSMC2 beta firmware 6.4 now allows to format your mags as UDF instead of FAT32 so it fixes the issue that my app was trying to work around...
    Thanks for the heads up! Testing the beta FW right now and so far it seems great.

Just a note for people, this doesn't appear to save to SMB\Samba shares. (Error 0s). Bring on UTF. :D

Senior Member Mikael Lubtchansky's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gavin Greenwalt View Post
    Just a note for people, this doesn't appear to save to SMB\Samba shares. (Error 0s). Bring on UTF. :D
    I'll have a look
    but yeah... with UDF in release firmware this free tool has done its duty and is kinda EOL :-)
    foolcat : HTML / PDF visual reports for OS X
    foolcontrol : RED camera control for OS X
    foolcontrol : RED camera control for iOS
    foolcontrol : RED camera control for Android
    foolcolor.net staying hungry, staying foolish facebook instagram

I made the mistake of waiting a couple weeks to make sure people shook it out good and there weren't any lethal bugs for a critical project haha. Although it was working before and now it's working, not at all so oh well, like you say UDF is the solution going forward. I'll just transcode overnight and be done with it. Better debayer too!