Thread: 8K Monitor !

Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Björn Benckert View Post
    Its not crashing the blacks. and with a 12bit lut box why would it not calibrate?
    u can attempt a "calibration" on anything... u can also do 3/6pt... sure...

but if the state of the display after the calibration is in place is good enough to be used in color critical application, THAT is the question.

and like I said before, with some of these screens u will not see the issues on the cal report... that is why visual eval w/ reference footage is one of the most important things in calibration.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Nagel View Post
    u can attempt a "calibration" on anything... u can also do 3/6pt... sure...

but if the state of the display after the calibration is in place is good enough to be used in color critical application, THAT is the question.

and like I said before, with some of these screens u will not see the issues on the cal report... that is why visual eval w/ reference footage is one of the most important things in calibration.
    Why don't you try it? Most stores sell it with a 30 day open offer.

I will see how well it does when our calibration guy comes over. But don't you think a Dolby vision certificate goes quite far. As I understand the spec/standard is set far higher than what most professional screens could reach a few years back, no?
    Björn Benckert
    Creative Lead & Founder Syndicate Entertainment AB
    +46855524900 www.syndicate.se
    Flame / VFX / Motion capture / Monstro

Banned
    Why don't you try it? Most stores sell it with a 30 day open offer.
    I don't need that display atm. I'm using Flanders OLEDs and 65" Pannys still.

I was merely responding to ur comment - "why would it not calibrate" - that a calibration does not mean in any way shape or form that a display will magically fall into place or is suitable afterwards for color critical application.

but there's only one way to find out.... ;-)

post the cal report here, please !

Its not crashing the blacks. and with a 12bit lut box why would it not calibrate?
    You don't have to take my word for it. See Stacey's comment on the subject:
    "Another issue was crushing black. Everything below some % (5-10 I think) was simply gone. This should also be fixed in the 2016. Or at least improved."
    This SHOULD be improved, but has it? I don't know, but if anyone knows anything about monitor calibration, Stacey does. You do know what Stacy does at his day job, right?
    Anyway, calibration can improve or fix errors in color rendition. But when image jumps from 10% black immediately to 0 with nothing in between it is not something, that can be helped with calibration. It is more of a fundamental design flaw...
    Jake Blackstone
    Colorist
    Los Angeles
    MOD Color Web Site
    Demo Reel

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Nagel
    I don't need that display atm. I'm using Flanders OLEDs and 65" Pannys still.
    Love that FSI OLED! Other than the size, the FSI OLED is a superior to the LG OLED for SDR.

I have a pre-production 2016 LG OLED and it still had the black crush problem. I am told the production units fixed that. Dave Abrams, a well know calibration in So. Cal has the LG B6. I will ask him about the black crush. I will also see him, and the display, at the SMPTE tech conference. Will you be attending, Jake?

Some companies, such as Sony and Panasonic, have OEM'd the LG OLED panel and are building their own displays. The improvements that both companies have made have been impressive. There are others doing the same thing, though not announced at this point in time.

I believe the Teranex mini clips head and toe room on SDR. Important to some people, such as myself, and not others. Just mentioning to be aware of. Not a lot of choices for UHD LUT boxes at this time due to the high cost of FPGAs that can process UHD, and Full 4K, resolutions. My favorite LUT box at the moment is the Teradek COLR, which does not currently support UHD / Full 4K. The color engine in in the OMOD is actually superior to the COLR because it has both pre and post 1D LUTs.

On an LCD, you would generally target your EOTF to gamma / BT.1886. On an OLED, you would actually just use 2.4 (or 2.6 for digital cinema and 2.2 for computer use) with no offset since it has a true off state for each pixel.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Nagel

Agree 100% with Mike. I can also say that LG wants to produce a color accurate display. They are heavily involved in UHDA and ICDM, both of which are focused on image quality.

I recently purchased a Sony Z9D for HDR pattern development. I was going to get an LG OLED, but since we have one in the office, I went for the Sony. I consider both disposable at this time. I think another generation or two and I can replace my projector / screen with an LG OLED. I say this only because HDR projection does not seem to be going anywhere and off axis, OLED does really well. Far superior to LCD and LCOS, but still not as good as DLP.

The LG is a good display. I would still use a BVM X300 or FSI OLED for color critical work and the LG to check for things you may miss on the smaller OLEDs, such as noise / grain and detail / sharpness.

Sorry, rambling a bit. If you go to SMPTE, I will say more in person than I would post on a forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Stacey Spears View Post
    Will you be attending, Jake?
    I will, if you send me the invite
    Jake Blackstone
    Colorist
    Los Angeles
    MOD Color Web Site
    Demo Reel

Quote Originally Posted by jake blackstone View Post
    You don't have to take my word for it. See Stacey's comment on the subject:
    "Another issue was crushing black. Everything below some % (5-10 I think) was simply gone. This should also be fixed in the 2016. Or at least improved."
    This SHOULD be improved, but has it? I don't know, but if anyone knows anything about monitor calibration, Stacey does. You do know what Stacy does at his day job, right?
    Anyway, calibration can improve or fix errors in color rendition. But when image jumps from 10% black immediately to 0 with nothing in between it is not something, that can be helped with calibration. It is more of a fundamental design flaw...
    Well, it for sure does not not clip from 10%. simple test tells me thats simply not the case.

What you talk about is not related to the 2016 screens like the B, C and G V6. Thats can only be a conclusion made by people that run the screen with shitty settings or people talking about other LG screens.

Not the most scientific these but still. A shot with my iPhone.

On the screen there is a gradient from black to white with, a 5%, 3% and 2% stripe on it. Sure difficult to see the 2% on the black background but its there, if no light in the room it´s really there. So, no BV6 does not crush lower values to black and a 10bit gradient in 4k looks very promising a 12bit will likely look even better.
    Attached Images
    Björn Benckert
    Creative Lead & Founder Syndicate Entertainment AB
    +46855524900 www.syndicate.se
    Flame / VFX / Motion capture / Monstro

Banned
    what's the output of the panel ?

8bit or 10bit ?

Well, it for sure does not not clip from 10%. simple test tells me thats simply not the case.

What you talk about is not related to the 2016 screens like the B, C and G V6. Thats can only be a conclusion made by people that run the screen with shitty settings or people talking about other LG screens.

Not the most scientific these but still. A shot with my iPhone.

On the screen there is a gradient from black to white with, a 5%, 3% and 2% stripe on it. Sure difficult to see the 2% on the black background but its there, if no light in the room it´s really there. So, no BV6 does not crush lower values to black and a 10bit gradient in 4k looks very promising a 12bit will likely look even better.
    May be it's the iPhone picture, but what I see, is a solid black band on the low end of the gradient, no perceptible difference between 2% and 3% and a huge difference between 3% and 5%. But if you're happy with what you see, good for you.
    Not everyone arriving to a different conclusion may use your highly technical opinion of using "shitty settings".
    Personally, I'll wait for a wider consensus on the subject. I'm not in the rush...
    Jake Blackstone
    Colorist
    Los Angeles
    MOD Color Web Site
    Demo Reel