Thread: Next Otus?

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
  1. #1 Next Otus? 
    What's the next Otus? I'm surprised they did not announce anything.

Senior Member Satsuki Murashige's Avatar
    Between 28mm, 55mm, 85mm - I would hope that the next focal length is a 40mm. It will probably be a 21mm though, 40mm is an unusual focal length for full frame still photography.

I heard rumors the next up was a 135. I have no idea how accurate that is though.
    ------
    Jwilkinsonstudios.com
    Music.Fashion.Films
    Scarlet Dragon #4909
    Dallas, TX

21/28/40/55/85/135 would be one hell of a set...
    ------------
    DP/Colorist
    www.joelvoelker.com
    Seattle, WA

135/1.4 OTUS would be something very appealing. Mitakon showed a huge and impressive concept, so it's doable. Otus would double the price of that one of course. ;)
    But, that rumour might have been about the 135/2 Milvus, which is already a extremely good performer and can easily be used in a set of Milvus/Otus lenses (same applies to the 15mm Milvus).

I don't expect them to go somewhere between 28-55-85. Extending the range with a wider or narrower lens is probably going to be the next step. Something between 15-21 or 100-135 maybe.

Sigma did a 20/1.4, Zeiss introduced an new 18mm Milvus. So, could they do an 18/1.4 Otus next?

I would prefer a focal length that's not covered by a Milvus and maybe a bit unusual, like the 28 and 55. Would have loved the 85mm actually being a 75mm or 95mm, something like that, not an 85mm, which is truly stunning and perfect, but focal length-wise a little bit boring. ;)
    Maik Mueller || http://www.maikmueller.art
    RED Scarlet-X/DRAGON #1388
    Zeiss Otus 28/1.4 & 55/1.4 & 85/1.4

Senior Member Satsuki Murashige's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Joel Voelker View Post
    21/28/40/55/85/135 would be one hell of a set...
    I guess the real question is, do Zeiss have a plan to eventually convert these designs into true cine lenses? I would guess that they are, based on them trying to eliminate lens breathing, not typically a still photography concern. In which case it may make sense for them to develop a full set with more commonly used 'cine' focal lengths like 32mm and 40mm. If not and the lens breathing thing is just 'Zeiss being Zeiss' (i.e. perfection for its own sake), then I don't think we will see in-between focal lengths any time soon.

I imagine a 35mm.
    ----------------------------------------------------------

2018 Reel

Website
    Instagram

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Scott View Post
    I imagine a 35mm.
    A fresh 35/1.4 is something that is still missing from the Milvus line too, so yeah, it could be a possible candidate.

But a 35 after the 28? Don't you think people would be disappointed and tend to skip it? I probably would.
    Maik Mueller || http://www.maikmueller.art
    RED Scarlet-X/DRAGON #1388
    Zeiss Otus 28/1.4 & 55/1.4 & 85/1.4

Senior Member Christopher Probst's Avatar
    There's a double-edged sword to consider with reasonings behind why to get into these (or any FF lenses for that matter). If you're looking to use them for full frame VV Weapons for example, you need to bear in mind that equivalent fields of view relative back to our standard Super35 frame of reference thinking means that the medium focal lengths start to become your WIDES... With the VV Dragon sensor at nearly 41mm wide, here's some numbers to consider on the horizontal field of view equivalences to Super35...

FF vs. Super 35
    18mm = 11mm
    24mm - 14.5mm
    28mm = 17mm
    35mm = 21mm
    40mm = 24mm
    55mm = 33.5mm
    85mm = 52mm
    100mm = 61mm
    135mm = 82mm
    180mm = 112mm

I'm actually interested in these as a full frame "master prime" type lens for Dragon VV... and GL Optics are doing an interesting (albeit LARGE) rehousing of the Otus line.

My point in all of this is consider what you want to use them for and what FORMAT you're expecting to put them on. Zeiss would be smart to consider beefing up focal length offerings in the mid range for this very point. Hell, a 35mm AND a 40/45mm would be a great choice. 45mm is my dream VV focal length. 45mm equivalent is approximately 27.5mm, such a useful field of view in cinema storytelling.

Yes, and for that reason I hope they do a 135 next.