Thread: NEW WC clamp on mattebox look super rad

Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    All the people saying "Misfit Atom" are kinda missing the point.

zip box - $99
    atom - $692

zip box - 3.2 oz
    atom - 6.9 oz

different tools for different jobs.

It's like if someone posted "hey, you hear about the new Red Weapon" and everyone responded with "Nope, Arri 235".
    Anglo-American DP, shooting docs and branded content in LA.

tomdowler.com
    longhaulfilms.com
    lettinggoofadele.com
    restartingthemotorcity.com

Quote Originally Posted by KETCH ROSSi View Post
    This looks really nice... And wooden camera have been putting out quality products no doubt.

But Having used BT's Matte Boxes for the past several years, well since their first Strummer actually, my vote would go to the Misfit Atom!

I can say that the Misfit is an insanely great little Box and the Atom allows it's use with any and all lenses (unless I need to cover the HUGE zooms with 6x6) it's extremely lightweight and built very tough, the fact that the filters are super easy placed and replaced leaving the filters pristine and fingerprints free is an other plus.

The 5 Warranty it's nice as well... :)
    One thing this thing does that I have not seen with other filter trays. I think this thing is pretty much water prof around the filter and also the lens. Not that it should be used for such but if you are in a messy environment it´s nice to know that there is absolutely no dust mud or what not in the inside of the filter or on the front of lens. Simply you can use this thing with clear glas when shooting motocross or something similar it´s nice to be able to just wipe the front of the filter and know that everything behind it is clean as a whistle.

And alos how many of these do you get for the atom? I like this better and I bet all of them together comes at a lower price than then one atom no?
    Björn Benckert
    Creative Lead & Founder Syndicate Entertainment AB
    +46855524900 www.syndicate.se/axis
    VFX / Flame / Motion capture / Monstro

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Dowler View Post
    All the people saying "Misfit Atom" are kinda missing the point.

zip box - $99
    atom - $692

zip box - 3.2 oz
    atom - 6.9 oz

different tools for different jobs.

It's like if someone posted "hey, you hear about the new Red Weapon" and everyone responded with "Nope, Arri 235".
    +1...

I'm going to agree with Matt here.
    I've had my Misfit Atom for a long time now and never come across any problems.
    No filter insert problems, it secures our expensive filters perfectly and it attaches securely to all my primes.
    In terms of the removable sun shade, I've had that scrumbaled up in my bag and it always pops back perfectly to shape, ready to attach to the mattebox. For its purpose it's pretty much spot on for what it needs to do.

I like the the wooden camera products and I have a lot of their power & nato / swat products but when it comes to matteboxes I think Bright Tangerine wins this battle. If you have expensive filters or have a set of NDs, the last thing you want is one to break, get oily finger prints on or drop out.
    Phil J W Moreton - Cinematographer - London

Red Epic-W
    Red Epic-W
    Arri Alura 18-80mm, Xenon FFs, Leica R PL, RT Motion +++

FYI Misfit Atom holds 2 filters..
    EPIC-X DRAGON 7424

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Moreton View Post
    I'm going to agree with Matt here.
    I've had my Misfit Atom for a long time now and never come across any problems.
    No filter insert problems, it secures our expensive filters perfectly and it attaches securely to all my primes.
    In terms of the removable sun shade, I've had that scrumbaled up in my bag and it always pops back perfectly to shape, ready to attach to the mattebox. For its purpose it's pretty much spot on for what it needs to do.

I like the the wooden camera products and I have a lot of their power & nato / swat products but when it comes to matteboxes I think Bright Tangerine wins this battle. If you have expensive filters or have a set of NDs, the last thing you want is one to break, get oily finger prints on or drop out.

Your not going to have to worry about a filter falling out with the WC holders. But I do like the fact atom can hold 2 filters. Quite often I do a pola and ND at once.
    Weapon Helium CF 8K #3261
    Epic-W 8K #2056

Otus - Sigma Art Set
    Gravity - Focus
    Cineslider - Axis jib
    Arri M18 - Astra's

http://indigitalstudios.com/
    http://indigitalstudios.com/productions/
    http://indigitalstudios.com/client-list/

As i said before.. the misfit is truly awesome.. totally love it.. but i still have a lot of friends who spend a lot of time taping their filters on.. this will most definitely help them. for the price it makes so much sense..
    WEAPON HELIUM 8K
    SCARLET-W
    LOCAL 600
    BUFFALO, N.Y
    IMDB

www.coderedpicturecompany.com

Senior Member Satsuki Murashige's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Ryan View Post
    Not sure what you mean by plastic frame? The Misfit Atom is anodized aluminum and doesn't have any plastic... you can beat it up without worry.
    Matt, you are right, my mistake. It has been a few months since I've had my hands on an Atom.

Michael, thank you for chiming in. Always nice to hear quick feedback from the manufacturer. I look forward to testing the Zip Box, I'm sure they will start showing up on set soon so I can take a closer look. One thing I would like to test is how well it holds up to vibration, such as in a car mount rigging situation where we are often taping filters to the lens. Also would like to see how much the rubber deforms upon hard impact. In these situations, an optical flat often takes the brunt of the impact and protects the lens.

It would be easy enough for them to make one that could hold 2 filters or even 3. The rubber construction is really nice if you ask me and I bet it´s quite difficult to beat if you try to do so with machined aluminium.

If you think of it I would be more worried that rental clients scratch filters while putting them in something like metal arri filter trays then using this rubber donuts that snug around the filter in a nice way.

Simply the filter is not popping out out of these things and I broke a few filters from clamp on matte boxes coming of the lens and falling to the ground, with this thing the filter is seated in something that looks like a big rubber iphone protection thing and would just bounce.
    Björn Benckert
    Creative Lead & Founder Syndicate Entertainment AB
    +46855524900 www.syndicate.se/axis
    VFX / Flame / Motion capture / Monstro

This looks pretty cool. Will be definitely buying soon.