Thread: NEW WC clamp on mattebox look super rad

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 47
  1. #1 NEW WC clamp on mattebox look super rad 
    Senior Member Matthew Quinn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Buffalo, N.Y
    Posts
    2,182
    WEAPON HELIUM 8K
    SCARLET-W
    LOCAL 600
    BUFFALO, N.Y
    IMDB

    www.coderedpicturecompany.com


    Reply With Quote  
     

  2. #2  
    Senior Member Satsuki Murashige's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    San Francisco, CA
    Posts
    570
    That's a very attractive price, but I think using the flexible rubber lens shade to hold the filter in place is a bad idea. Any kind of pressure on the edges of the shade could cause your $300+ filter to pop out and break. Over time, it will stretch and become loose. I like the design of the Atom better, hard plastic edges and a spring loaded clamp with keep the filter secure better than flexible rubber.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  3. #3  
    Senior Member Steve DiMaggio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    1,297
    Quote Originally Posted by Satsuki Murashige View Post
    That's a very attractive price, but I think using the flexible rubber lens shade to hold the filter in place is a bad idea. Any kind of pressure on the edges of the shade could cause your $300+ filter to pop out and break. Over time, it will stretch and become loose. I like the design of the Atom better, hard plastic edges and a spring loaded clamp with keep the filter secure better than flexible rubber.
    for sure, but its like 7X the price right?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #4  
    Senior Member Brian F Kobylarz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Norwich, CT. USA
    Posts
    1,272
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve DiMaggio View Post
    for sure, but its like 7X the price right?
    Or, as Satsuki points out, the loss of two filters turns it into a net zero.

    Still, the WC variant could come in handy in some cases.
    At that cost, it's an expendable.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #5  
    Senior Member Steve DiMaggio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    1,297
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian F Kobylarz View Post
    Or, as Satsuki points out, the loss of two filters turns it into a net zero.

    Still, the WC variant could come in handy in some cases.
    At that cost, it's an expendable.
    true true, but I dont think anyone using a $99 matte box is using $300 filters, just sayinnnnn ;)
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #6  
    Senior Member Matthew Quinn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Buffalo, N.Y
    Posts
    2,182
    I own a misfit atom but I see a lot of potential with these WC joints
    WEAPON HELIUM 8K
    SCARLET-W
    LOCAL 600
    BUFFALO, N.Y
    IMDB

    www.coderedpicturecompany.com


    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #7  
    Senior Member Satsuki Murashige's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    San Francisco, CA
    Posts
    570
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve DiMaggio View Post
    true true, but I dont think anyone using a $99 matte box is using $300 filters, just sayinnnnn ;)
    That's what 4x5.65 size filters typically cost though, $200-$600/each. And the WC Zip Box is made for 4x4 and 4x5.65. So people will be using expensive filters in these.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #8  
    Senior Member Aaron Lochert's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Tucson, AZ
    Posts
    1,093
    Watching the video (@0:45), it seems like a considerable amount of force is needed to put a filter in there. I have a hard time believing it would pop out accidentally.

    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #9  
    Senior Member jake southard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Santa Monica, CA
    Posts
    595
    If i'm not mistaken, Bright Tangerine has a similar style "soft" matte box, and i've put it through hell. Never had any problems with filters falling out, even when double stacking
    RED Gemini
    Alexa Mini - SOLD
    Epic Dragon - SOLD
    Scarlet Dragon - SOLD
    Scarlet MX - SOLD
    RED One MX - SOLD

    DP // Director
    www.jakesouthardcinema.com
    https://vimeo.com/jakesouthardcinema/videos
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #10  
    Senior Member Satsuki Murashige's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    San Francisco, CA
    Posts
    570
    Quote Originally Posted by jake southard View Post
    If i'm not mistaken, Bright Tangerine has a similar style "soft" matte box, and i've put it through hell. Never had any problems with filters falling out, even when double stacking
    That's the Atom, as you know it has a hard plastic frame that the filter slips into and is held in place by a spring-loaded clip. It's a good design, filters are safe in it. The soft part is just the removable rubber lens shade, it doesn't hold the filters in at all. You can simply pull it off if you want and not affect the filters.

    I'm open to trying the WC Zip Box - who knows, it might work fine. But it just doesn't seem well thought out to me.
    Reply With Quote  
     

Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts