Thread: Which source four beam angle?

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Which source four beam angle? 
    Hey guys, been looking into grabbing a source four and I was wondering what beam angle you recommend.

Thanks!

I have a pair of ETC Zoomspot Jr which are 25-50 and 575 W. I often wish I had a bit of a wider field angle, though, for closer work and also a bit more brightness, especially using CTB. What options are you looking at?
    Scarlet-X DRAGON #64

I suggest renting and trying them out,
    or going with a place with a good return policy.

the 19deg narrow attachment has a huge front lens element, difficult to work with, and was (at least) 2 stops brighter then the 50deg

It you're going for key light, try out the 50 or 36deg

Oh and you can use lower wattage bulbs in the 750, i had to do that to try and better match the output from a 19deg to a 35 and 50deg

The front element is just an attachment and can be swapped out for different fov needs and throwing power
    I always pass on good advice. It is the only thing to do with it. It is never of any use to oneself. -Oscar Wilde

Right now I have a 26 and a 50.

I'm mainly using it to gel with CTB and bounce or punch through a 4x4 w/diffusion. I shoot with a very, very limited grip kit, almost never with flags. Keepimg the light from flying everywhere is the goal here. I'd still still like to use it with gobos etc and for adding controlled pockets of light too, but I know you can't have your cake and eat it too.

What lens do you think meets these criteria? Thanks again guys. I'm still learning and it's great to have forums like these.

LL
    Last edited by Logan LeBlanc; 08-29-2016 at 09:53 PM.

Bump

If you can only afford to buy one lens angle then I would say the 26 degree.

I will also say that I am used to having the 19, 26, 36 always around but 26 is a great one to choose if you only have the ability to have one

Where are you guys going to purchase the 26 degree lens? I purchased my Source Four from B&H but the 26 degree isn't coming up when I search it on B&H's site.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamon Lewis View Post
    Where are you guys going to purchase the 26 degree lens? I purchased my Source Four from B&H but the 26 degree isn't coming up when I search it on B&H's site.

I'd check ebay first.

The 50 degree lens has the most flat, even beam and is good for bouncing. The 26 and 36 are good for hot slashes and bouncing from a distance.
    David Mullen, ASC
    Los Angeles
    http://www.davidmullenasc.com