Thread: RCX XML Importing Duplicate Filenames

Reply to Thread
  1. #1 RCX XML Importing Duplicate Filenames 
    Hi All,

I'm busy trimming a bunch of R3D footage in Premiere. I now need to get my edits back to Redcine to use the R3D trim export functionality. Unfortunately, many of the R3D clips have the same filenames, since they were previously split from longer clips. e.g.

A001_C043_052771.RDC > A001_C043_052771.R3D
    A001_C043_052771 Copy.RDC > A001_C043_052771.R3D

When I import an FCPXML or EDL into Redcine, it seems to ignore the full file path and just import the first matched file name. This results in incorrectly linked clips.

Is there some way to get Redcine to import only files that match the path specified in the XML?

If not, should I rename all the source file names (RDC, R3D and RMD), or is there a better way?

Thanks,
    Rob

Personally, I think trimming R3D files and changing the RMDs and RDCs is a mistake and it's better to just leave them alone. There's too many risks of screwing up spanned clips and creating other problems for the final conform. Just get bigger drives.

It IS possible to consolidate down the final group of files so that you only have to deal with the actual takes used in the final, so you don't necessarily have to have dozens (or hundreds) of Terabytes' of material. Not too long ago, I took a 24TB feature project and media-managed it down to 5TB, which was completely doable.
    marc wielage, csi colorist/post consultant daVinci Resolve Certified Trainer

Avoid this like the plague. Easier to get more disk space to avoid these issues.

VFX, Cinematographer, Photographer
    10 frame handles
    Vimeo
    Instagram

Thanks Bob and Marc. Unfortunately, more disk space will not really help in this situation - I need to generate trimmed R3Ds. The trimmed R3Ds are the final product. I'm not actually editing anything, just trimming and sorting stock footage for submission.

Then I would not deliver R3Ds -- I would deliver some kind of Log-encoded high-res format like 4K ProRes 444 or 444HQ, or DNxHR 444. I don't see the point to R3Ds if it's stock footage.
    marc wielage, csi colorist/post consultant daVinci Resolve Certified Trainer

Thanks Marc. I prefer to submit 6K R3Ds to give the purchaser more options. Either way I still need to trim the R3Ds - in some cases there are minutes of footage with only a dozen or so seconds that are usable. As cheap as storage is, I still don't like storing and backing up gigs of useless data. I also like to do online backups of many of the files and my internet is not fast or cheap enough to do so without first trimming them.

Am I doing something wrong? Is there a way to get RCX to import an XML and take into account the file paths (i.e. not just relink to the first matched filename it finds)?

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Hofmeyr View Post
    Hi All,

I'm busy trimming a bunch of R3D footage in Premiere. I now need to get my edits back to Redcine to use the R3D trim export functionality. Unfortunately, many of the R3D clips have the same filenames, since they were previously split from longer clips. e.g.

A001_C043_052771.RDC > A001_C043_052771.R3D
    A001_C043_052771 Copy.RDC > A001_C043_052771.R3D

When I import an FCPXML or EDL into Redcine, it seems to ignore the full file path and just import the first matched file name. This results in incorrectly linked clips.

Is there some way to get Redcine to import only files that match the path specified in the XML?

If not, should I rename all the source file names (RDC, R3D and RMD), or is there a better way?

Thanks,
    Rob
    Had similar problem, created new thread, then figured out a weird workaround:

1. R3D trim in RCX with XML from PPro
    2. Generate QT wrappers in RCX
    3. Delete all the QT wrappers except _F.mov (using finder, search that directory and delete _H.mov _P.mov _M.mov)
    4. Relink Retooled workflow - relink the PPro XML to the new directory with trimmed files, it will relink to the _F.mov files (it only works with QTs)- save that XML
    5. Open that XML in text editor, find/replace _F.mov with _001.R3D and save that file.
    6. Import that XML in PPro, it should relink to the proper trimmed R3D files.

Trim in rcx not premiere
    JAKE WILGANOWSKI
    Director of Photography / Filmmaker
    CINE-AUTOMATIC.COM

Brilliant Sam! Thanks for letting me know.

I ended up creating new folders for the ...S000.RDC, ...S001.RDC etc. then exporting different XML's for all the S000's, S001's etc. (but I was just trimming, so I didn't need to roundtrip a complete sequence).

It is weird that Redcine can't deal with same-named R3Ds in different-named folders when the full file path is in the XML. And you can't even manually relink each file, since Redcine automatically searches for and relinks R3Ds with the same name.

Quote Originally Posted by Jake Wilganowski View Post
    Trim in rcx not premiere
    Yeah. That would be simpler. Unfortunately, my computer is a piece of crap, so I have to use FCPX or Premiere so I can generate proxies and get realtime playback.