Thread: How Greig Fraser and Brett Harrison used the MoVI M15 on 'Lion'

Reply to Thread
  1. #1 How Greig Fraser and Brett Harrison used the MoVI M15 on 'Lion' 
    Hi All

I did an interview with Evan McDonald at Freefly Systems and he wrote an article about using the M15 with an Alexa M on Lion - shot in Feb 2015 in India.

There was no Steadicam in India; and most of the tracking shots in India are done with the MoVI. I go in to depth on how I see dual user and the advantages and relationships a gimbal represents on set. 90 percent dual user with the then-brand-spanking-new PLC Veracity wheels.

Evan put together a great article with some excellent BTS material:

https://medium.com/every-axis/chasin...o-d9dac36ca4ee

Nice article. Thanks for sharing!
    Roy Rossovich, FSF
    Hasselblad Master 2016

IMDB

www.royrossovich.com

Thanks Roy!

Senior Member constantine Tirintzis's Avatar
    Nice Brett , weldone. Congrats.
    Constantine Tirintzis
    Steadicam,Robotics,design & engineering
    constantine@flowcine.com

Quote Originally Posted by constantine Tirintzis View Post
    Nice Brett , weldone. Congrats.

Thank you Constantine - probably should have had a Serene haha :-D

Quote Originally Posted by Brett Harrison View Post
    Thank you Constantine - probably should have had a Serene haha :-D
    doesnt matter what you have in order to pull the shot. Thats the most important thing. Equipment is just to help. Operating experience is the main thing.
    Nothing magically works as many think , just getting something that will do the shot for you.

Think steadicam, there are some incredible operators that still use an old 3A arm and steadicam , even so there are so many nit options all those years.
    Its the operator and skills not the equipment.

We only make stuff to give options, that might or might not apply to everyone.

welldone
    Constantine Tirintzis
    constantine@flowcine.com

Quote Originally Posted by constantine Tirintzis View Post
    doesnt matter what you have in order to pull the shot. Thats the most important thing. Equipment is just to help. Operating experience is the main thing.
    Nothing magically works as many think , just getting something that will do the shot for you.

Think steadicam, there are some incredible operators that still use an old 3A arm and steadicam , even so there are so many nit options all those years.
    Its the operator and skills not the equipment.

We only make stuff to give options, that might or might not apply to everyone.

welldone
    I appreciate you saying. Yeah I think that's true. I went through a period of never doing 'free hand' operating. When I came back to freehand operating I was shocked at how much better my vertical stability was, even without a mechanical suspension. Same thing with Steadicam - I could maintain vertical position through the muscle memory of gimbal operating and the arm just 'made sense' to my brain automatically.
    The benefit of MoVI is you can dedicate more thought to framing and movement earlier in your career, due to the electronic control, but in the end the sense of framing and movement is very much seperate from all these technical skills/features.

Quote Originally Posted by Brett Harrison View Post
    I appreciate you saying. Yeah I think that's true. I went through a period of never doing 'free hand' operating. When I came back to freehand operating I was shocked at how much better my vertical stability was, even without a mechanical suspension. Same thing with Steadicam - I could maintain vertical position through the muscle memory of gimbal operating and the arm just 'made sense' to my brain automatically.
    The benefit of MoVI is you can dedicate more thought to framing and movement earlier in your career, due to the electronic control, but in the end the sense of framing and movement is very much seperate from all these technical skills/features.
    additionally, every support system needs mastering. Not everyone is dedicated enough for this those days. But when he does and the equipment works then it all works. Support systems can help some shots or destroy others or make them impossible. Not everyone is the same. Thats freestyle and its different from op to op. Keep up the good work. Cheers
    Constantine Tirintzis
    constantine@flowcine.com