Thread: Canon FD

Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 39
  1. #21  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    5,132
    Yes - Thanks for the Tip NICK! You were telling me while we had Sushi in Vegas during NAB! Tom doubled down on the glowing review :)
    Reply With Quote  
     

  2. #22  
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    20
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathias Erichsen View Post
    Aha! I was looking for that lamp a year ago or so, but it was sold out, I think.
    Bought a small UV-flashlight on eBay and after many, many battery-swaps (not so eco-friendly..) it apears to have ceared up. Not much yellow anymore at all :)
    The 55mm Aspherical seems like the most yellow now - but I don't know if that one has any thorium in it...?
    I believe the Aspherical does, but the non-aspherical one doesn't. I have the latter and haven't noticed any yellowing. At the very least, it's radioactive.

    http://camerapedia.wikia.com/wiki/Radioactive_lenses

    Has anyone tried the 100mm f2?
    Last edited by Freddie Murphy; 08-25-2016 at 11:15 AM.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  3. #23  
    Senior Member Mathias Erichsen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Oslo, Norway
    Posts
    645
    Quote Originally Posted by Freddie Murphy View Post
    I believe the Aspherical does, but the non-aspherical one doesn't. I have the latter and haven't noticed any yellowing. At the very least, it's radioactive.

    http://camerapedia.wikia.com/wiki/Radioactive_lenses

    Has anyone tried the 100mm f2?
    Oh! Tanks for the link. Found this video showing allot of radiation in 55mm Aspherical:
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xyFr6vi_wsA
    So it's time to go to IKEA or use another bunch of batteries in the UV flashlight... :)
    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #24  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    5,132
    100 f2 is nice. It's in my set. Will post some examples when it returns home :)
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #25  
    Senior Member Mathias Erichsen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Oslo, Norway
    Posts
    645
    Made another test on my radiated FD set and found out that both 35mm and 55mm are in need for some (more) UV-treatment (Maybe 14mm too?)

    I'll use an UV-B light (25W intense UV-B 200 Exo terra for reptiles) on the 55mm and a JANSJÖ (got one now) for the 35mm and see what works best :)
    Attached Images
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #26  
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Padova/Italy
    Posts
    6
    Hello people!
    Anyone would be interest in modding iris aperture on their lenses?
    In the last pic you can see zeiss 50mm f1.4 with new iris next to takumar 50mm f1.4.
    Let me know what you think!
    Thank you!
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #27  
    Where out testing my new 85mm FD rehoused by eastern enterprise this weekend. Love it, and the goats :)

    https://vimeo.com/409259691

    Björn Benckert
    Creative Lead & Founder Syndicate Entertainment AB
    +46855524900 www.syndicate.se/axis
    VFX / Flame / Motion capture / Monstro
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #28  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    1,147
    Quote Originally Posted by Björn Benckert View Post
    Where out testing my new 85mm FD rehoused by eastern enterprise this weekend. Love it, and the goats :)

    https://vimeo.com/409259691

    This looks great. Is that mostly wide open?

    What are you doing for a 35mm?

    I had this idea that vintage lenses are about nostalgia. So we're using whatever's 20-30 years old the same as we're remaking Jurassic Park, Bad Boys, Twin Peaks...

    Next up is the Matrix remake... and so I would expect Ultra Primes and Primos (and on the lower end Canon EF glass) to be popular next as those are associated with the late 90s in my mind. And then Panchros, K35s, etc. wane in popularity.

    But with higher resolution sensors I find the best look is the glass with the most character. There are those who approach things with an eye toward a clinical look like Deakins to a lesser extent and even more so Claudio Miranda and Phil here all seem to prefer a transparent naturalistic look. But personally I wonder if we are yet to hit peak vintage...

    I hope we haven't. Or maybe next up is just heavy diffusion like in the 90s and 70s. Mitchell diffusion just looks like a Gaussian blur to me so I think that would be a nice fit for sensors that are a bit too sharp but my favorite will always be Classic Softs. Sorry to rant.

    Interesting to note that Canon made a (rare) 0.75X wide angle adapter for Scoopic, which has 72mm threads, like the 24mm FD. I wonder how similar that combination would be to an 18mm K35. If anyone has one for sale I'd like to try it out...
    Last edited by Matt W.; 05-03-2020 at 10:50 AM.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #29  
    Senior Member Clint Lealos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    1,064
    We haven't even come close to peak vintage yet. With all these full frame sensors hitting the market, things are just starting to get interesting. Until now, we have been re-discovering all the cinema lenses from the past and changing the mount to PL. Now, we need to go to the vast ocean of still lenses for the full frame coverage and get them totally re-housed. Luckily, we have several very capable lens shops doing quality re-housings.

    There are so many options yet to be explored. Think about all the forgotten lenses from companies that no longer exist. Think about all the lenses that photographers scoffed at because they flared too much or they didn't have enough contrast. Think about lenses that aren't necessarily fast, but have all the character in the world because of their coatings and optical design. Think about lenses from brands nobody has ever shot a movie with. All those lenses are out there waiting to be slapped on a Red Monstro, Alexa LF, or Sony Venice. Get ready for another wave of vintage glass...Personally, I've got some big surprises coming :)
    Clint Lealos
    Director of Photography

    Yeah, that's a forklift tattoo. I wasn't always a cinematographer :)
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #30  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    1,147
    Quote Originally Posted by Clint Lealos View Post
    We haven't even come close to peak vintage yet. With all these full frame sensors hitting the market, things are just starting to get interesting. Until now, we have been re-discovering all the cinema lenses from the past and changing the mount to PL. Now, we need to go to the vast ocean of still lenses for the full frame coverage and get them totally re-housed. Luckily, we have several very capable lens shops doing quality re-housings.

    There are so many options yet to be explored. Think about all the forgotten lenses from companies that no longer exist. Think about all the lenses that photographers scoffed at because they flared too much or they didn't have enough contrast. Think about lenses that aren't necessarily fast, but have all the character in the world because of their coatings and optical design. Think about lenses from brands nobody has ever shot a movie with. All those lenses are out there waiting to be slapped on a Red Monstro, Alexa LF, or Sony Venice. Get ready for another wave of vintage glass...Personally, I've got some big surprises coming :)
    Anything that you find under-valued and you recommend? Feel free to PM me your recommendations...

    I have some old cinema lenses, but not a lot in the way of full frame. The Arri Bayonet mount is nice because it's easy to convert to PL and can even convert to EF with Raf's adapters.
    Last edited by Matt W.; 05-03-2020 at 01:08 PM.
    Reply With Quote  
     

Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts