Thread: Cook Anamorphic Lenses & Red S8K Helium Camera

Reply to Thread
Page 25 of 25 FirstFirst ... 152122232425
    I was thinking, the last issue of Film and Digital Times (June 2020) was all about the Arri Camera, of all the 220 pages (cover to cover), it was on Page 178 were the differences where finally reveal, after pages and pages of text. “Record ARRIRAW and ProRes at Native Resolution of LF Open Gate Sensor Mode: 4.5K”, yes 4.5K while the Red Komodo which is a 6 K Sensor and way more inexpensive, and currently under Graeme Nattress careful attention to tweak the camera (2 pounds, 4” by 4”) is way better in terms of resolution.

Now the sensor on the Red Komodo trends toward a Cinema Aspect Ratio, and the Arri trends toward the Old Television Aspect Ratio. The Red Komodo is the precursor to the new DSMC3 to come for all the Red Cameras in the near future. Just a thought on this beta version pending final release of the camera software.

Humberto Rivera

Have you ever thought how a Film goes from the Writing, to the Cinematography, to the Editing, and to the viewing of Story on the Big Screen? Take a step back and look at life, turn around and look at the world with just your eyes. What do you see? The world to your hands. That’s a pretty wide shot to a very close up. Think about all the film you seen in your life.

Look at your hands, the fingers, the palm, the lines running through it in all directions, and then look up to an imaginary prairie, or a city scape high above the tallest building, to see the entire city bellow as far as the eye can see. From a CLOSE UP of the hands to a LONG SHOT of the city into infinity, then look down to the entrance to the building from above to a MIDIUM LONG SHOT to across the street to a window in the building framing it to a MEDIUM SHOT around a person. That in essence of building a sequence for a film. Weather written, shot, edited, or view in a Film, is the building of a sequence, none-the-less.

There has to be an integration of “Real Live” (documentary) to “Imaginary Life” (fiction). Looking around your world, with a preconceived moment of creativity, it’s that transition from “Real” to “Imaginary”, at some point there is the transfer to that non-geographical space called “Creativity”. You make the jump from Documentary to Fiction. Weather is with the writing word, the actual photography, the editing of images and sounds, or to viewing it on a Giant Screen. I’m talking about something abstract, modeled after the real world, that space which we call creativity. It’s almost like being between waking up or being asleep, that transition moment in time, were you reach out and grasp the fiction from the real world, an convert it to fiction. Weather your asleep or awake, whatever your state of mind-is, model it after looking around, waking up, or whatever is you “Point of Creativity” is, value-it, write it down, cherish it, it doesn’t happen often enough. You could be anywhere, any time, it will come by surprise, grab it, write it down.

It all you mind! It’s all in your life experience! It’s all in the places you been too, and navigated difficult situation or pleasant adventures, or maybe both! It’s all in your dreams! In there, somewhere, are the stuff of storytelling! We all have it, it just that some can get it out and moralizing it better that others. If you don’t grab it at the right moment it will go into oblivion. It’s a big World, lot of stuff happens around the World, some adventures happen in the past, the preset, or the future, it’s a creation of the mind.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_Campbell I remember being intrigue by; Joseph Campbell the author of “The Hero with a Thousand Faces” – “His philosophy has been summarized by his own often repeated phrase: "Follow your bliss”. He gained recognition in Hollywood when George Lucas credited Campbell's work as influencing his Star Wars saga; “I came to the conclusion after American Graffiti that what's valuable for me is to set standards, not to show people the world the way it is...around the period of this realization...it came to me that there really was no modern use of mythology. The Western was possibly the last generically American fairy tale, telling us about our values. And once the Western disappeared, nothing has ever taken its place. In literature we were going off into science fiction...so that's when I started doing more strenuous research on fairy tales, folklore, and mythology, and I started reading Joe's books. Before that I hadn't read any of Joe's books. It was very eerie because in reading “The Hero with a Thousand Faces” I began to realize that my first draft of Star Wars was following classic motifs. So I modified my next draft according to what I'd been learning about classical motifs and made it a little bit more consistent...I went on to read “The Masks of God” and many other books”. End George Lucas quote.

So what makes us able to be a complete filmmaker? The ability to mix rather well the disciplines of the Artist and the Technician, together they make the essence of filmmaking into a new reality. What do I mean by that statement, mix well? Let’s take the example of being high on building, and looking at the expanse with your eyes, and the mind of a writer, a cinematographer, an editor, and an audience. You go through the evolution of developing a sequence, which are part of many sequences, which are part of Cinema Production. There are so many disciplines from the arts and technical involved in this creation. They are part of how you see, and the story you choose to tell.

How do you see? How do you imagine? How do you create? They are all an important part of the; Art of Cinema! The hero’s journey can be a template for an “Action Adventure Film”.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hero%27s_journey “In narratology and comparative mythology, the monomyth, or the hero's journey, is the common template of a broad category of tales and lore that involves a hero who goes on an adventure, and in a decisive crisis wins a victory, and then comes home changed or transformed. Various scholars have introduced theories on hero myth narratives, including Edward Burnett Tylor, Otto Rank, and Lord Raglan. Eventually hero myth pattern studies were popularized by Joseph Campbell, who was influenced by Carl Jung's view of myth. In his 1949 work “The Hero with a Thousand Faces”, Campbell described the basic narrative pattern as follows: A hero ventures forth from the world of common day into a region of supernatural wonder: fabulous forces are there encountered and a decisive victory is won: the hero comes back from this mysterious adventure with the power to bestow boons on his fellow man”. End of quote.

Look at your hand, and then look to infinity, what do you imagine happened, or will happened, write it down for future reference, take notes, always take notes. Just leave you with the thought, whever your trying to compose a sequence, look to your hand then look to infinity, and the sequece lies somewhere in between.

Humberto Rivera