Thread: DSMC2 Tilta Cages

Reply to Thread
  1. #1 DSMC2 Tilta Cages 
    Hey guys - curious if anyone knows much about these. I'm really interested in their cage with XLR inputs but there appears to be no hardware controls for phantom power levels etc. Is that stuff controllable through the redtouch? Seems like a really slick package.

Thanks,
    Evan

Weapon doesn't have internal phantom power like epic
    JAKE WILGANOWSKI
    Director of Photography / Filmmaker
    CINE-AUTOMATIC.COM

Quote Originally Posted by Jake Wilganowski View Post
    Weapon doesn't have internal phantom power like epic
    This isn't internal, it's an external module, and they definitely list phantom power, similar to the XLR OMOD.

Tilta is certainly making some cool stuff. Wish they would make a simple version with 2x XLR, head phones, power cable, and v-mount for doc filmmakers. I don't need SDI, hdmi etc for what I do. I love that you can attach a mic to this.
    IMAX Director|DP|Producer
    FORGED Monstro VV |Trooper 8K | CF Dragon
    http://digitalcrossing.ca

So upon talking to them more it would appear that it's basically a built in A-box on the XLR front - no significant pre-amps or anything.. Wondered how this will compare to something like the Offhollywood XLR Omod... It's certainly a much cheaper solution..

Michael - they do make a skinnier version without the outputs, and sell their little 2x XLR box as a side add-on.

Does anyone know why stuff like this was never done for the DSMC 1 cameras? I assume the data connections on the back of the cameras support this kind of add ons. I'm still loving my Epic Dragon, but would be psyched for some of these new power, audio, wireless add-ons.

-Michael
    Epic #4048 Pharaoh

We have one of these cages in our showroom here in LA, and it is pretty damn rad to play with and get creative with kit builds off of it.

I will forever be a fan of the OMOD that OH puts out, but all of the new Tilta options are a great addition for all of us!
    Brian Byrne
    AbelCine | LA
    Bbyrne@abelcine.com
    Twitter: @BrianByrneCine

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Winokur View Post
    Does anyone know why stuff like this was never done for the DSMC 1 cameras? I assume the data connections on the back of the cameras support this kind of add ons. I'm still loving my Epic Dragon, but would be psyched for some of these new power, audio, wireless add-ons.

-Michael
    Probably because the pinouts & protocols weren't published for DSMC 1 I'm guessing. Red didn't open up the system for third parties until DSMC 2.
    It would have taken reverse engineering all the signals and power.
    DOP / Digital Lighting Camera Operator
    London, UK.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Quote Originally Posted by ericyoung View Post
    Probably because the pinouts & protocols weren't published for DSMC 1 I'm guessing. Red didn't open up the system for third parties until DSMC 2.
    It would have taken reverse engineering all the signals and power.

What you said is what I would have guessed. I wonder if Jarred et al. would be willing to put them out now. I doubt there would be a huge rush to make hardware for Epic bodies, but maybe.
    Epic #4048 Pharaoh