Thread: Celere lenses by Hanse Inno Tech

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 24 1234511 ... LastLast
  1. #1 Celere lenses by Hanse Inno Tech 
    Freiburg, Germany & Prague, Czech Republic
    The Bokkeh Optics thread kind of shifted into a Celere lens thread, so I thought that it might be a good idea to start an own thread for the Celere lenses.

First a disclaimer: I do sell on my store Celere lenses and other products by Hanse Inno Tech, but am also a reseller for XEEN and other manufacturers.

The Celere lenses are purpose build cinema lenses from Germany. It's a collaboration of lens technician Steven Kisilevic and precision engineer Lars Andersen, both of whom are based in Hamburg, Germany.

Steven worked at MBF which is one of the biggest rental houses in Germany as a lens technician and also worked as a director. Lars' company Hanse Inno Tech manufactures accessories for film equipment (have a look at this reduser thread about the BNC Easy Click system).

Nearly three years ago, Steven approached Lars with the idea to build affordable high quality FF35 lenses in Germany.

To make them affordable, they decided to build them as hybrid lenses. They basically took lens elements from different manufactures and put them in a custom developed housing which was designed by Lars. Again, they are not simply rehoused still lenses. The front element for example gets manufactured and coated by a well known company in Wetzlar which also manufactures for Angénieux and other cine companies.

New versions of the front elements will be available in the next weeks, including an uncoated version.

I was a distributor for GL optics and also have some experience with other affordable lens sets. While it's in my opinion difficult to objectively judge lenses based on their look, since everyone prefers something else and the needed look also often depends on the project, I would rather comment on the build quality and the service. There are some videos further down showing some footage shot on them.

The Celere lenses are build for decades of use, unlike some other rehoused solutions where the inner mechanical parts are taken from the original photo lens which will wear out rather quickly, especially if you're using FIZ systems. The witness marks are easy to read and they even glow in the dark.

The other big advantage of the Celere lenses is the service. If something happens, you can send them directly to Hanse Inno Tech and get them back within a couple of days. They are also working on setting up a network of authorized service houses for the Celere lenses in the US and other countries.

Here's a link to their website and some videos of lens comparisons:

https://celerelenses.com/

Celere and other lenses tested by Hanse Inno Tech:

https://vimeo.com/user42439449/videos

Really cool project to compare many spherical and anamorphic lenses:

http://cinelenstest.com/

And a test of different lens by Tom Greenberg who's also here on REDuser:

https://vimeo.com/161533371

Last but not least a video from Broadcast Asia. RED seemed to like them (I'm sorry for the terrible quality of the video):

Hanse Inno Tech will probably show a prototype of their new 18.5mm T1.6 at CINEC in Munich in late September. Next in the line will be an 135mm. Other focal lengths will depend on demand.

The new front elements will be available shortly.

They are currently also working on anamorphic lenses which will be again an hybrid system with custom front elements. They will be ~T2.1 and rather small. First prototypes should be ready December 2016.
    Glaswerk ONE & ONE+ 2x VV anamorphic lenses

www.glaswerk-optics.de

Freiburg, Germany & Prague, Czech Republic
    reserved for videos and photos
    Glaswerk ONE & ONE+ 2x VV anamorphic lenses

www.glaswerk-optics.de

I can attest to the Celere Lenses being my favorite on the market so far. After using them, they just work on so many levels and I LOVE the look. After renting them out a few times, there are clients of mine that refuse to shoot on anything else now.
    DP/Director/Producer
    www.domenicthedp.com
    www.nw-camera.com

Alexa Mini/Amira, RED Dragon, Monstro, Canon C500 Mark ii, C300ii, Sony FX9, FS7, UMP G2, Pocket 6k/4k, Sony A7s/r ii, Cooke Panchro Classics, Atlas Anamorphics, Zeiss Cp3, Angenieux EZ1/2, Celere HS set, Leica R Duclos set, DSO Trump series, Sigma Cine Primes, Contax Zeiss Superspeeds, GL Optics 18-35, 50-100, 70-200, tokina 11-16 PL, Laowa 24mm Probe, Movi Pro, Grip Vans, Skypanels, HMI's, Hive, Aputure, Litepanels, Litemats

I would love to see the comparison to the Xeens. They seem the have the same heritage....
    Jacek Zakowicz, Optitek-dot-org, jacek2@optitek.org
    Professional Broadcast and Digital Cinema Equipment

David, could you elaborate more on these custom front elements? Think you or someone else mentioned there may be an option to choose "Leica" or "Cooke" color-matched front elements? So these primes could integrate into more "premium" sets from Leica and Cooke (ie Summicrons and S4/i's for example), and still match?

I think this is a really interesting feature, and I'd love to learn more!

best
    Nick Morrison
    Founder, Director & Lead Creative
    // SMALL GIANT //
    smallgiant.tv

Gonna have a look at these :)

i know you can switch mounts to EF, but they should really consider the huge advantage of developing them with 5-7mm long pl mounts instead of 10-14mm, so that we can use them with pl adapters on ef cameras.
    this will be huge among people using a raven as a b-camera along with a weapon, so we can share the lens set on a production.

Great suggestion Jordan. Frankly I'm surprised that all new affordable PL lenses do not have that feature. Oh I know- they want to sell you a EF mount- one per lens- not one adapter per set. Sneaky....;-)
    Jacek Zakowicz, Optitek-dot-org, jacek2@optitek.org
    Professional Broadcast and Digital Cinema Equipment

Quote Originally Posted by David Kellermann View Post
    They are currently also working on anamorphic lenses which will be again an hybrid system with custom front elements. They will be ~T2.1 and rather small. First prototypes should be ready December 2016.

That sounds super exciting.

Are the current lenses available to rent in LA? I'd love to try them out on a few shoots.
    Anglo-American DP, shooting docs and branded content in LA.

tomdowler.com
    longhaulfilms.com
    lettinggoofadele.com
    restartingthemotorcity.com

Ive got my set up in seattle that I can ship down. :)
    DP/Director/Producer
    www.domenicthedp.com
    www.nw-camera.com

Alexa Mini/Amira, RED Dragon, Monstro, Canon C500 Mark ii, C300ii, Sony FX9, FS7, UMP G2, Pocket 6k/4k, Sony A7s/r ii, Cooke Panchro Classics, Atlas Anamorphics, Zeiss Cp3, Angenieux EZ1/2, Celere HS set, Leica R Duclos set, DSO Trump series, Sigma Cine Primes, Contax Zeiss Superspeeds, GL Optics 18-35, 50-100, 70-200, tokina 11-16 PL, Laowa 24mm Probe, Movi Pro, Grip Vans, Skypanels, HMI's, Hive, Aputure, Litepanels, Litemats