Thread: (Help) for a slowmotion shot of a falling TV - in Berlin, Germany

Reply to Thread
  1. #1 (Help) for a slowmotion shot of a falling TV - in Berlin, Germany 
    Hello europe red users :-)

I'm doing a short film with the university (Universität der Künste Berlin) University of Arts Berlin
    We shot most of the sequences but there is one shot that should be in slowmotion.

It is a shot of a TV falling down from a building and explode in pieces on the ground.

I thought it could be an interesting shot for a red camera user.

I'm not kind of person that ask for a service without paying. Im actually doing also music, that could be a similar buisness than video.
    I think that to pay a professional service is just normal and people shouldn't act for free for that kind of persons making money with the talent of other people.
    But in this case we don't earn any money with this short film. We are a team of passionate students that is trying to do something interresting.

At least could be interesting for a red camera owner to put this shot in a showreel.
    The TV screen will have a Green screen because there will be a video on it during the fall.

There will be also a great composed sound to improve the effect of impact in that shot.

If you know some people in Berlin that could have the possiblity to join us just for an afternoon to do that shot please share the contact.

The video "Lehrstühle" (Workshop-Studio) of the Udk (Universität der Künste) has 5D canon mark II cameras, and a black magic camera but not any slow motion camera. This is the reason why we are asking.

By the way, I love red cameras and I'm actually planning to buy one in the future. But have first to work hard for it and then the dream will come reality :-)
    PS: Sorry for my english is not perfect. I can speak German and French if you prefer.
    If this thread is not in the good place, let me know.

Thanks a lot for your attention :-)
    Adrian Galeazzi

adrian.galeazzi@hotmail.com
    +49 157 58978704

You need to recreate the SCTV opening title, only in 4K:

Note that this idea goes back 40 years to 1976, so it's not exactly new. I don't think it has the same effect when it's a flat screen, vs. an old TV set that basically explodes when it hits the pavement.
    marc wielage, csi • colorist/post consultant • daVinci Resolve Certified Trainer

Ah nice the reference ^^ Thanks Marc.
    But in this case is not a slowmotion.

I don't know if it explose really or just a bit. But the idea is that with a really slow motion and a closest shot the effect could be perfect and will also fit with the Off voice that come at this moment.

I know that time is precious, but if somebody has the contact of someone else or even want to try this please let us know :-)
    And as I said, if this post is in the wrong folder please tell me.

Marc are you from Berlin ?

Bis bald :-)
    Adrian

Quote Originally Posted by Adrian.g View Post
    I know that time is precious, but if somebody has the contact of someone else or even want to try this please let us know :-) And as I said, if this post is in the wrong folder please tell me. Marc are you from Berlin ?
    No, I'm in mid-Wilshire LA. For stuff like this, you may have no choice but to just shoot it. You could always find broken TV sets at a junk pile or something and just improvise as best you can.
    marc wielage, csi • colorist/post consultant • daVinci Resolve Certified Trainer

Thanks for your answer :-)
    old TVs we have already a lot ! Even to do more tries !
    the problem it's just the frame rate...
    Do you know a solution to make a 1920x1080 very smooth slow motion that isn't a pro camera ?
    a 5D with post production time remap on AE could do the job ?
    or is there a cheap why to do slowmo in this resolution ?

thanks again :-)
    see you
    Adrian

I think I can see in my head, what you're trying to accomplish.
    You're going to want to go with a RED or Sony FS700. Even an a7sII might do the trick. I'd start with facebook and spread the word.
    Brandon Shafto - Director of Photography - Michigan
    Epic-X Dragon 6K

bumpyroadstudios.com
    instagram.com/bumpy_road_studios/
    facebook.com/BumpyRoadStudios/

Hallo, you could also consider making it CGI. The result could probably be better and less random. I'm from Munic. You can contact me for help. Marinus

Boom, there you go. Marinus might be able to hook you guys up.
    Brandon Shafto - Director of Photography - Michigan
    Epic-X Dragon 6K

bumpyroadstudios.com
    instagram.com/bumpy_road_studios/
    facebook.com/BumpyRoadStudios/

Hey guys thanks a lot for your motivation :-)
    that help us a lot!

CG! A TV is a kind of complex element to brake but could work actually !
    Is it also nice because the camera maybe don't move and we could put the tv.
    Or a variante with a camera that follow the TV falling could be also a possibility, We have boubou tracking, could be a good base for CG integration.

We see today where exactly we will do this shot :-)

I put a fast sketch of the scene on we transfert, than you could have an idea of it and the voice. We took a you tube video just to see.
    But for us, it will be a falling TV not the big hammer of course.
    https://we.tl/52v6ctUqt0