Thread: affordable storage/edit long-term solution for indies ?

Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I have not had problems with different LTO units, there are basically only 4 manufacturers, the other brands are rebranded units from one of those four (Quantum, IBM, Tandberg, and HP). We have a Dell unit, which is really an IBM unit.

I would definitely buy LTO-4 instead of LTO-3 now, though, if you can afford it. You can still use (the slightly cheaper per GB) LTO-3 tapes in them, and you're much more future-proofed, and have larger capacity per tape and higher transfer speeds with LTO-4.

If you can find someone who is computer savvy then they can build the following for you:

http://www.reduser.net/forum/showpos...7&postcount=20

Bob

I'm actually ordering a Quantum LTO4HH tomorrow. I've done a little research on this stuff (as much IT as I can handle) and decided this is the best solution for now. A single tape (non-library or autoload) is around $3000 and will hold 800 megs uncompressed. This seems reasonable for RED projects to back up a days worth of shooting and/or project files.

We have a 14 x 750Gig XRaid for daily use/storage, btw. I'm hoping to hook up an Xserve that will be the controller for the LTO4, as it is SCSI based. I was looking for a single drive that is Fibre based to go on the network, but Quantum doesn't do fibre unless it's a library or autoload (and much more expensive unit).

Let me know if anyone else has more info to share on this setup. My credit card is in the starter's gate...

Kevin

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Wild View Post
    A single tape (non-library or autoload) is around $3000 and will hold 800 megs uncompressed.
    Did you meant, the drive is $3000 and a single tape holds 800 GB uncompressed?

Oops...yes, the single tape DRIVE unit is approximately $3000. A single tape can hold 800 megs and is around $100 each.

Kevin

Oops...yes, the single tape DRIVE unit is approximately $3000. A single tape can hold 800 megs and is around $100 each.

Kevin
    sorry kevin, but $100 for 800 MB seems to much!

Quote Originally Posted by sky1walker View Post
    Compared to what? What else is there that is anywhere near as secure and costs anything close to that? The only thing I can come up with is LTO3, which can hold 800GB on two cartridges that each cost about $30, making it a bit cheaper than LTO4, but also a bit slower and less convenient.

Quote Originally Posted by sky1walker View Post
    Sorry, I just can't get it right. I should drink more before I type.

800 GIGs per tape, not MB's.

Sorry, I just can't get it right. I should drink more before I type.

800 GIGs per tape, not MB's.
    OOPS. I'll learn to read better next time.

how long does it take to backup 800GB data on a Quantum LTO4HH ? and how much is a single 800GB tape cost? and if i want to hook up the Quantum LTO4HH on Apple xserver, is it by a firewire or some PCIe card?