Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: GTX 1080 performance

Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffery Anderson View Post
    12gb Titan Z actually has more Processing power than a single Titan X card... X is listed at 6144 and Z at 8122.. pretty similar specs
    Sure, but the catch is it's still two GPUs married onto one card to achieve that. You can only use its full power in apps that have multi-GPU support and then you're also restricted to 6GB per GPU without the ability to utilize all 12GB for either GPU on the card. In apps that support a single GPU like Premiere or the free (non-studio) edition of Resolve, you would actually get superior performance from a single original 6GB Titan GPU as it's not under-clocked as the GPUs on the Titan Z are.

Sorry if I seem like I'm beating on this. The Titan Z is a good card, but for all intents and purposes here, it's obsolete. I wouldn't rush to replace it with anything else if you already have one. It's still a valid card if you have one and are able to fully utilize it. However, if you're spending most of your time in an app like Premiere that only supports a single GPU, then you're not fully utilizing the hardware.

Thanks for your input and answering my questions
    Sure. :)
    - Jeff Kilgroe
    - Applied Visual Technologies, LLC | RojoMojo
    - Just me and my 8K Monstro VV kicking ass.

Any news on how well the SLI HB implementation works with the new gen cards and if that'll be the same routine as before with Pro Apps needing to be un-SLI'd? Would love to see a universal setup where SLI isn't an issue within those utilizing multi-GPU

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kilgroe View Post
    I wouldn't rush to replace it with anything else if you already have one. It's still a valid card if you have one and are able to fully utilize it. However, if you're spending most of your time in an app like Premiere that only supports a single GPU, then you're not fully utilizing the hardware.
    I did list it and it sold within hours... if I was to buy a Titan X, what's the best model and brand?
    I have to try and change the landscape, whatever it is.
    -Robert Plant

EVGA already has a card with power draw listed at 215W, so if that ends up being 215W plus the 75W from the motherboard it is looking good. Just have to wait for a water cooler first.

http://www.evga.com/Products/Product...08G-P4-6286-KR
    Writer - Director
    Crowing Lakes.com

Just got a gtx 1080 yesterday. So far no joy in Adobe Premiere cc 2015. Black screen when cuda is enabled. Other footage seems to work fine, just r3d does not.

Quote Originally Posted by Dustin Veneman View Post
    Just got a gtx 1080 yesterday. So far no joy in Adobe Premiere cc 2015. Black screen when cuda is enabled. Other footage seems to work fine, just r3d does not.
    Thanks. Hopefully it doesn't take them long to enable it.

By the way, take a look at some of the overkill power delivery options coming, including a liquid nitrogen friendly 16+3 phase version by Zotac... :) but it will be interesting to see how some of the more normal upgraded versions versions fair under higher voltage

Writer - Director
    Crowing Lakes.com

There will be only one 8-pin on the MSI sea hawk...
    https://www.msi.com/Graphics-card/Ge...-specification

EVGA might be moving a little slower on the water front, but images on their site are sporting dual 8-pin on both flavors,

and it seems they are adding modularity to their plug-and-play version of water, though this setup below is horrible to the last card

Writer - Director
    Crowing Lakes.com

So it is looking like the 1080's will not overclock worth a crap... the GPU locks after 1.25V

http://videocardz.com/60631/asus-rog...r-overclocking

If this holds to be true and you have a Titan X you will likely want to sit this one out, same deal if you have a 980Ti and don't run into VRAM issues
    Writer - Director
    Crowing Lakes.com

Quote Originally Posted by Dustin Veneman View Post
    The issue is with the last 2 driver versions from Nvidia. I found that out when starting benchmarks.

http://www.amd.com/en-us/press-relea...2016may31.aspx

From what I read AMD is releasing the RX480 which does 5 TFLOPs for $200 with 4GB on June 29th, an 8GB version is confirmed but price isn't
    Good for prices since 2 of those should beat a 1080 for games that don't use more VRAM so there is a bit of competition at least
    Vega is pushed probably until October

Now if we can just get some benchmarks for all of these new cards....
    Writer - Director
    Crowing Lakes.com